Bouncing on landing

Does anyone else experience extreme bouncing when landing? I am a new pilot and I expect some rough landings but what I am talking about is extreme bouncing up and down which eventually results in a crash. The landing is mostly smooth leading in (on ILS approach) but as soon as I touch any controls the bouncing starts and is out of control.

I mainly want to know if this is a bug or if it is just pilot inexperience.

2 Likes

Sounds like you are coming in too fast and losing altitude too quickly. It takes practice. With full flaps you should be able to reduce power so that your glide slope and approach speed is correct. The papi lights (2 red 2 white if on correct slope) will help you. Just keep practicing, you will get there.

6 Likes

@srcrain

Which aircraft?

Airplane does not matter. I have not experienced it with any of the planes. If it is on glide path and jumps at touchdown, it is too fast and doesn’t pull up its nose just before touchdown to float out and touch down just before stall.

1 Like

Of course it matters and e.g. you certainly don’t touch down in any airliner ‘just before stall’.

3 Likes

What type of controller are you using?

1 Like

Hello
Me I have this problem often with the A320no at the normal landing speed. I will try next time with slower one.

Practice on GA aircrafts first (the DR400 is perfect for initial practice, but you can use the C152 or any other light plane). You can practice stalls at safe altitudes (3000ft), just to learn and understand the behaviour of the plane before it stalls (just idle your engine and try to keep your altitude until your nose dives). Use clean configuration or flaps to feel the difference.
As advised above, your speed on final is very important. With the DR400 full flaps, try to keep as close as 120km/h as you can, follow the PAPI lights, and once above the threshold idle your engine and flare very gently.

1 Like

I did not mean “touch down just before stall” in the extreme way you understood it. I should rather have written that each plane has its corresponding landing speed with the appropriate weight and flaps. If it jumps when landing, it does not hover out to touch down at the right speed. No matter if it is a Boeing 747 or Cessna 152, when he jumps he was too fast. He should get the technical data of his planes and then adjust his speed accordingly. Ideally he sinks with the right AOA and does not need to correct anything or he has to pull his nose just before touchdown to get the right AOA. Of course he has to keep an eye on his touchdown speed. Logically this is as slow as necessary to land safely, but fast enough to avoid stalling.

I just felt something like this for the first time yesterday. Everyone here seems to be assuming that you’re just landing too fast and ballooning but I think you might be talking about something different. I was flying patterns and the first few laps went great. Then out of nowhere on the downwind, right before turning base, I felt the plane just jolt downwards like I’ve never seen it do before. The wind hadn’t changed, it was only a few knots. It happened again on final, I was descending then right before I rounded out the plane just seemed to drop instantly and I had a hard landing. Decided to just call it a day there. Is that the sort of thing you’re referring to?

3 Likes

DonQuilmi29, why are you giving me landing tips? Or just wrong clicked? :slightly_smiling_face: I know how to land safely. The MFS is not a landing challenge for me. I rather sweat in DCS with a Tomcat during a landing on the aircraft carrier.

This is with both the TBM 930 and the Cessna Citation. I have tried different speeds on each. Sometimes cutting all throttle just before touchdown other times coming in with more speed. I think it has to do with overriding the AP system when it is coming in for an ILS landing. Sometimes when I override the AP at altitude I get the trim going to either 100% up or 100% down. It is impossible to control the airplane when this happens. This is what happens, but it is on the runway instead of x thousand feet.

Has anyone experienced that problem?

I am using the XBOX one controller but I adjusted the sensitivity way down. Works much better when manually flying but still having autopilot issues.

2 Likes

Yep, sorry. I clicked on the wrong “reply”. :woozy_face:

1 Like

You should buy, even a basic joystick. The flare is a sensitive action : if it’s to slow, you’ll hit the ground and bounce; too fast, you’ll climb and stall high above the runway.

I don’t know how realistic this sim is, but in the real world you start with a docile aircraft like C152, flying 100% manual. After ca. 100-200h you consider faster airplane (requiring more skill) with IFR and ILS (requiring even more skill when transitioning from automated approach to manual flare and touch-down).
The initial joy of flying comes from the ability to control the aircraft, autopilot is for seasoned pilots on long trips.

1 Like

just the issue if you realy want the second “S” of MSFS
 :stuck_out_tongue:

But in real
 which speed, which rate of sink, and so on ? 
 more data please :wink:

ah
 and I forgot:
have you managed the Trainings with the Cessna ???

I have been flying sims for years and usually land ok. Did LOWI RNAV 8 on Saturday in the neo. Plane handled impeccably and I nailed the approach. I got the approach/touchdown speed fine but bounced off the runway in 3 big hops. I blamed alcohol at the time but maybe something else was going on?

1 Like

I have this problem with the 787, I’m not flying it anymore till they fix it

1 Like

it is just not a cessna :joy:

I’m all in with the BeechCraft 350i right now, it’s great plane overall (not perfect but way better than the airliners). No more broken 787, 747 or A320 for me :rofl: