Brand new 3080 but random stutters

I did. I see your issue. I see you repeatedly ignoring the solution.

And the solution is? I’m all ears. I think I’ve detailed very well what I have tried, along with posting evidence of it not working. I appreciate the previous responses actually trying to help. You’re not offering anything but condescension and complete disregard for all the previously posted information.

Linked above. Feel free to ask questions in that thread and I can walk you through in detail.

I even made this thread today, addressing your exact issue.

Cool. You think I’m complaining because I tried to run it at max settings and it didn’t work. Except that I tried to run it at the lowest settings, and everything in between. I don’t think you read any of that, even though I spelled it out in great detail.

I did, but I admit, I got you and the OP confused when it came to how high you run the LOD.

Another CPU main thread killer is in your traffic settings. Ground aircraft traffic at airport is almost as bad as TLOD, and I suggest folks with stutters start with it at 50.

1 Like

Another CPU main thread killer is in your traffic settings. Ground aircraft traffic at airport is almost as bad as TLOD, and I suggest folks with stutters start with it at 50.

As I mentioned in previous posts, I have all air traffic turned off. I’m not even trying to get it to work well at an airport - it sucks in flight at 1000 feet, 10,000 feet. It doesn’t matter where I am or what settings I use - the game stutters like mad

Yes, and you are getting main thread limited.

Take some time to read some of Grabber’s posts in this thread as he walks through a very good way to quell those CPU spikes, which cause stutters. Usually at airports so it is best to configure for this on the ground.

Now, this MAY NOT BE the solution to your problem, but I really do need you to try it, so at least we can rule it out as your issue. Because it really is the issue for 90+% of the stutters we get in sim.

Let me know how it works, or doesn’t. But until you try it, everyone is going to assume that is your issue. Because it almost always is.

1 Like

Take some time to read some of Grabber’s posts in this thread as he walks through a very good way to quell those CPU spikes, which cause stutters. Usually at airports so it is best to configure for this on the ground.

I have read and tried Grabber’s suggestions. I spent many hours reading and trying things on this forum before I made my first post - another thing I mentioned. It’s the whole reason I posted videos of the output from dev tools.

Please, try it again. Step by step. And let me know what your LOD gets set to for optimal frame rate.

Because you said you run a LOD anywhere from 50-400 and that is too wide a range to expect stutter free flight at all times. Especially at 400.

Right. Based on Grabber’s suggestion, I need to load my GPU as much as possible while finding the optimal balance for CPU load so I don’t see the constant switching between GPU and CPU limited. The fact this is even necessary is evidence of poor design.

But I have tried, time and again. The sim just doesn’t work for me. I put 20 hours into trying to make it work, based on the (much appreciated) advice of these forums, and it just doesn’t. There is either something wrong with my system that only affects this game and not a single one of the other 10-20 I’ve played, nor any other software I use, or there is a problem with this game that affects my specific hardware/software configuration.

I can’t say for certain it’s the latter, but all signs point to that being the case. At some point you gotta cut your losses and move on, and this is that point for me.

I appreciate all the suggestions here, but I’ve put a whole bunch of time (which I have earnestly tried to document) into trying to get this working and am only going in circles.

I understand you have tried things before.

But like any tech support, I need you to do these things again, so I can help you, and I cannot rule something out until I know you did them the way they need to be done, in the order you are supposed to do them.

This means walking you through what may seem to be redundant things you have already tried.

I cannot walk you through to step two if you refuse to do step one with me. Otherwise I am completely blind and useless.

And for this type of online support, where we only share an online forum, and I cannot see your computer, it behooves both of us if you walk through the steps (again) and tell me your results.

I appreciate the help.

I’ve uninstalled the game, but I’ll try reinstalling it for one last attempt. Maybe the uninstall/reinstall will fix the issues I was seeing.

It’s going to take a while to download the 200GB again, but I’ll try to post an update tomorrow with my results from what you suggest.

1 Like

I know the thing. That install takes forever.

I know we got off on the wrong foot but I really want you to have a working sim because this software rocks… when it works.

Feel free to reach me via PM if you just want to walk things through in private once installed. We may not get it running perfectly but I wouldn’t offer to help if I didn’t think there was a good chance!

1 Like

What Hz is your monitor refresh rate at? It can’t be 60Hz as VSync 30 would give 30FPS.

Also what settings do you have set in NVCP? Defaults?

What Hz is your monitor refresh rate at?

I’m seeing the issue on three different displays. Two are 60Hz displays, the other is a VRR 144Hz display.

Just defaults in NVCP:

In NVCP, ‘Texture filtering quality’ should be set to ‘High Performance’ that will definitely help you out.

Also after you balance the CPU/GPU load first ( as you seem to realise). By-
TLOD, OLOD, clouds, traffic (of all kinds) - affect CPU loading
Render scale, most other graphics sliders - affect GPU loading.
NOTE: tune all your settings while sitting at gate in a very scenery dense airport so EGLL or KJFK for example.

Also : make sure your windows desktop res is same as in game res.

THEN try these settings as the combination of them helped smooth my experience a lot an locked me at 30FPS in game (you really don’t need more FPS with this sim)

Also, make sure your display cable is ok, I am running with a good quality (UHD) HDMI, 2.1 cable for 4K output, I have ocasionally seen some people report cable issues hitting their performance.

Note on refresh rate: if you have a 144Hz refresh rate(RR) monitor then VSync in game at ‘30’ really means 1/2 RR so it will just run max that it can, so won’t be locked, even at ‘20’ the FPS would be aimed at 48FPS (1/3 of 144Hz) so again would likely not gain much. So to get around this set 60Hz RR in NVCP for your monitor then VSync On and ‘30’ in FS graphics options which should yield 30FPS locked in game.
Hope that makes sense. It’s a badly named and often misunderstood setting in FS graphics options and is only true if RR is set at 60Hz, which I think is where they aimed the game to be running at 60Hz/30FPS. 30FPS should really smooth out your experience.

1 Like

Brag’s the best around at system optimization. He helped get my MUCH slower than yours potato of a laptop running smooth.

And also, unless you can get 60FPS at all times (and really, nobody can without sacrificing some noticeable fidelity) you are better off making sure you can lock your FPS to 30. It gives a consistent, and all around smoother result. When the sim is taxing your system it will slow even the best PC to around 30 FPS, but out in the open, it can soar to ridiculously fast FPS, but it gives an inconsistent feel to controls with all that variance. It is just better to look for the best 30 FPS settings you can get in all places, rather than focusing on the 90 FPS you might get over the Salt Flats. Also, a locked framerate just makes it easier to configure your CPU to always be faster than your GPU, because the GPU number will always stay the same with a properly optimized, locked FPS.

1 Like

Definitely not the best, I’ve just tweaked two different PCs now and so am used to seeing what works for them both, in completely different ways though. Situations totally different when GPU is the limiting factor from when CPU is the limiting factor. I swear the devs after caving to pressure and offering a TLOD slider that could go to 400 actually didn’t realise that so many people would think their system/CPU would be happy running there. I have a good GPU but have TLOD at just 250.
The thread yesterday on Windows 11 latest beta build and increased/more balanced CPU core utilisation in FS sounds promising though. Having said that if that just results in everyone once again selecting TLOD at 400 we could all be back having the same discussion again😀

1 Like

LOD should be one of the first things folks check when they encounter performance issues. Right up there with emptying the Community Folder.

That Windows Beta thread has me salivating. I hope it helps. Those early results were exactly what my laptop needs! I have 8 i9 cores… just laptop clock speed. That first Gen i9 ran hot.

I think the biggest misunderstanding around TLOD is its growth is exponential. It is an ever increasing circle of detail. 400 doesn’t mean 4x as much detail as 100. It is more like 16x the detail. In all directions around you. If people had a slider that went up to 1600 perhaps they would begin to understand what they are really doing to their machines!

And most folks would be able to set it to 400 and run comfortably. :joy:

2 Likes

Note on refresh rate: if you have a 144Hz refresh rate(RR) monitor then VSync in game at ‘30’ really means 1/2 RR so it will just run max that it can, so won’t be locked, even at ‘20’ the FPS would be aimed at 48FPS (1/3 of 144Hz) so again would likely not gain much. So to get around this set 60Hz RR in NVCP for your monitor then VSync On and ‘30’ in FS graphics options which should yield 30FPS locked in game.
Hope that makes sense. It’s a badly named and often misunderstood setting in FS graphics options and is only true if RR is set at 60Hz, which I think is where they aimed the game to be running at 60Hz/30FPS. 30FPS should really smooth out your experience.

Thanks for this. I’m still struggling to find a good balance using the in-game settings where it’s not constantly switching between CPU and GPU limited, but knowing what the VSync settings really do and getting a true 30fps, along with the NVCP settings has helped significantly.

I don’t really want to have to go into NVCP and limit my 144Hz monitor to 60Hz every time I want to play MSFS, then go back into NVCP when I’m done and set it back to 144Hz. For that reason, I’ve just stopped trying to play on that display and will limit MSFS to a 60Hz display.

I’ll keep playing with the LOD and other settings to see if I can find a point where things stabilize. It’s still not great, but for the first time I did see some tangible improvement.

2 Likes

It matters SO much less if it is CPU limited if you have a locked 30 FPS and the CPU limit is still below 30ish milliseconds.

By locking the framerate, your computer has a guaranteed 30 (32?) milliseconds for each frame, so as long as all computations can be done before the next frame, you should be golden. And even if you aren’t set perfectly, you are close enough to a locked 30 FPS that any stutters become far less noticeable. Whereas a spike to 50 or 70 ms might grind you to a halt for a while.

You can even cheat a little by bumping your GPU heavy settings like Render Scaling, so even though you might be a bit below 30 FPS at an airport, it is always your GPU that is slowing things down and becoming the bottleneck. This will reduce FPS a bit in graphics heavy areas, but since your GPU is taking the hit, you will avoid those stutters.

It can be tricky getting it perfect, but as you are already seeing, it improves greatly as soon as you are even in the right ballpark.

1 Like