Bring Forza Horizon asphalt / gravel into MSFS

Link Msfs and Forza 5 together so you can drive your supercar to the airport :grinning:

2 Likes

I think youā€™ll find itā€™s DX12 native, hence the smoke / sandstorms etc. Also on the series X and PCā€™s with suitable graphics cards, itā€™s using ray tracing. To be fair to Asobo, Playground are building a limited environment with towns and areas that have ā€œa likenessā€ to some in Mexico. Asobo have done the entire planet, and thereā€™s nothing thatā€™s come before thatā€™s done anything so detailed on this scale.

1 Like

I was having a little fun with the ā€œcloudā€ people here :wink:

Itā€™s a method of giving textures depth and making them contain geometric shapes. Itā€™s kind of like a bump map, but better (And more hardware intensive)

Heres a very extreme example of tessellation with the stone pathway in the Heaven Benchmark

After seeing the images that were posted earlier in the thread Iā€™m pretty sure the Forza devs are using a bit of subtle tessellation on the pavement to give it just that extra bit of realism.

EDIT: changed the image because the first one I had was low quality.

3 Likes

When the sim finally switches over to DX12 it will become capable of a lot of extra graphic effects. Simply through better optimisation. Making 2D textures appear 3D, as is seen in Forza and indeed all modern games, is called parallax occlusion terrain mapping. It does require a lot of extra processing power and is something DX12 can point the sim towards being able to do, should Asobo choose to implement it.

I dare say it will come, as will ever better volumetric particle effects, but weā€™re probably talking a few years down the line I would say.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve installed the Google maps replacement util from www.flightsim.to and really enjoyed the much better textures.
Bing maps are mostly outdated and dull compared with the textures from GM, making it even much more realistic than before.
I managed to put all bells and whistles on ultra, locked the fps on 30, and today i had the best experience with MSFS since itā€™s releaseā€¦

1 Like

:joy: :rofl: Sorry, but i think you has never seen SC.

1 Like

Yes, ok, but SC isnā€™t officially out yet, when will it be released? 2035? :rofl:

1 Like

Have you seen Star Citizen though? As in have you actually played the finished working game? Star Citizen mainly exists in the imagination of people fuelled by tantalising youtube clips.

The poster referred to the optics;)

And yes, Iā€™ve been playing it since 2017. And yes, itā€™s far from finished, especially with regard to the game content, and thatā€™s why itā€™s called Open Alpha. But you have been able to fly from A to B and explore the world without any problems for years. So very similar to the FS, which is also not finished for a long time. :wink:

I hope a little bit earlier :joy:

Wow these are amazing pics. The asphalt textures are a billion times better than MSFS. If only we could see runway, ramp and taxiways with that kind of realistic depth.

Right now the airport surfaces in MSFS look like a polished floor in a hotel. MSFS should consult Forza texture artists for the airport surfaces!

On another note even the terrain, mesh & autogen in Forza 5 look fantastic! I wish the game had a helicopter because that scenery would be awesome to enjoy with high speed low level flight. An MH6 copter would be ideal.

2 Likes

Yep thats probably what it is then! awesome thanks :smiley:

2 Likes

X-Plane a 15+ year old scenery engine has better ground textures than MSFSā€¦
But they said that 2024 will have new ground tesselation, vegetation etc.

Hereā€™s to hoping they will modernize their ground textures as well.

1 Like