Broken VOR stations (not working)

I’m using the Steam version, but this issue probably affects all platforms. Haven’t messed with Developer Mode.

The issue is several VOR stations don’t work at all with their frequencies gotten directly from the in-game map. I’ve tried tuning these VOR stations in several aircraft, and none of them work. Here’s a list of the ones I’ve found to be non-functional:

Ireland

• GMN, 112.9 MHz
  • GTG, 114.15 MHz
  • MCM, 114.4 MHz

Netherlands

• FRT, 117.15 MHz
  • PAM, 117.8 MHz

Spain

• SSJ, 108.4 MHz (Palma de Mallorca)

United States

• MSS, 114.1 MHz
  • SLK, 109.2 MHz

To reproduce this issue, simply fly close to any of these VOR stations and tune their respective frequency. You’ll see how they don’t work.

I only noticed this issue recently, around early November (before SU7). Though that’s when I started doing VOR navigation so I guess the issue can be much older.

Many VORs are being decommissioned due to the usage of RNAV(GPS). MSS is a TACAN and only provides DME info for civil aircraft. SLK is a DME. Neither of these work as a VOR.

I didn’t check the non-US navaids.

Have you checked to see if they have been decommissioned?

That one shows MSS (Massena NY) June 17th, 221 as well as SLK.

Discontinue six (6) VORs – June 17, 2021:

1. (HNN) Henderson, WV
  2. (LEB) Lebanon, NH
  3. (LWM) Lawrence, MA
  4. (MSS) Massena, NY
  5. (MWA) Marion, IL
  6. (SLK) Saranac Lake, NY

@skypilotYTS and @PacificSet90456, no matter if decommissioned, if they are present in in-game map and show as VOR-DME, and their frequency is shown in in-game map, then you have to be able to tune them and get their beacons.

As for all the VOR listed above (and their frequencies), I can confirm that none of them is working in-game. All are present on the map, and their frequencies shown.

2 Likes

But as stated above, they are still functional as DME’s so yes they would still be included and you can get DME info from them. They just won’t function as a VOR as that was turned off.

That is a failure of MSFS to update the World Map with its current navigation database. Very frustrating! (FWIW the World Map was showing all airports with ATC as non-tower airports…)

Opening a ZenDesk ticket might get the World Map corrected eventually…

Updates to the stock Navdata are Navblue responsibility - the sim uses Navblue (Airbus). I would file this as a Zendesk.

I looked into the VOR’s in the Netherlands. Over the last couple of years many VOR’s have been decommissioned and are now DME-only. There will be only 4 VOR’s left in the Netherlands.
FRT (and e.g. RKN) is one of the decommissioned VOR’s so in-game behavior is correct, but the World Map still shows VOR-DME. Somehow the World Map information is not updated with the AIRAC it seems.

PAM is a more difficult story. The official AIP of the Netherlands (effective Dec 2, 2021) shows PAM as a DME-only, but the charts such as Navigraph and LittleNavMap updated with AIRAC cycle 2112 still show VOR-DME. Maybe it will be DME-only in the next AIRAC. However, in-game the VOR does not work.

■■■ I spent like 2 hours trying to find out why my VOR is not working in the DC-3, only the realize the VOR I chose is broken… (PAM 117.8)…
This VOR is still chosen by MSFS when you calculate a VOR flight, so it’s not that just the DME is working. MSFS also thinks the VOR is working.

Hi, what about Switzerland? Trying to get used to VOR navigation before starting real PPL training. But getting frustrated in MSFS.

• Cessna 152 standard or JPLogistics (because will train with it soon).
  • Planned VOR to VOR routes within MSFS world map.
  • Checked frequencies with SkyVector, all good.
  • Never getting any VOR signal to the gauge…

Please have a look at my screenshot, should be all set, im literally ON the VOR…
Maybee I’m doing something wrong?

Tried following VOR with no success:
TRA (Trasadingen) 114.30
WFJ (Weissfluhjoch) 113.75
CVA (Corviglia) 112.05

cheers

According to the Jeppeson charts used by Navigraph, all of these are DME-only stations without VOR. MSFS is correct not showing any VOR signal. If you have a DME, the distance would be shown to the DME station when the DME frequency (which are correct) is dialed into the NAV radio.

1 Like

Due to latest forum reorganization, this thread was moved to #community-support:aviate-navigate-communicate

Yes thank you. A friend, swiss pilot, told me the same. Now i know.

So msfs showing wrong symbol and type in the world- and vfr-map… :roll_eyes: