Brown B-2 Air racer - A fantastic new freeware addon by sal1800

I haven’t seen anything posted about it yet and thought some of you might enjoy it. Sal1800, who also created the Wedell-Williams Model 44 air racer, released a new plane yesterday. A replica version of the Brown B-2 “Miss Los Angeles”, a successful vintage race plane from 1934.
He did a fantastic job, it looks stunning both on the out- and inside and is a blast to fly. In my opinion it is better, then a couple of payware addons available!

It is available at Flightsim.to:

9 Likes

Thanks for the link, will try it right away.

1 Like

I’d like to second that recommendation. The Brown B-2 is awesome fun to fly, especially at high speed close to the deck. It’s nimble, powerful, open cockpit, vintage, and completely free. What a wonderful deal!

1 Like

Yep, it’s a crime that there’s not more commentary on this. Y’all are missing a superb free historical plane that’s exciting to fly.

2 Likes

Definitely! This one should be much better known. Been taking the Brown B-2 out more and more lately and am greatly enjoying it. Typically I fly it differently to my other planes in that I take her down to treetop level and go almost full throttle. Especially in hilly areas it’s great fun weaving around obstacles. Never tried it in a race but I imagine it would be awesome in it - maybe not the fastest but definitely in terms of pure flying fun.

But even in more normal flight the B-2 is very enjoyable. I’d say the “racer” monicker might be off-putting for some. It shouldn’t be. I’d like to encourage anyone who regularly does some hand flying to give this one a try!

In fact, this plane should be greatly enjoyable to the vast majority of pilots. Only if your answer to the below questions is “yes” this plane is not for you.

• Do you absolutely require an autopilot for every flight?
  • Do you absolutely require nav aids for every flight?
  • Do you only fly IFR or complex procedures?

If y’all want to see it in flight, this video is where I discovered this little gem:

Note that the weird tail-in-the-air thing you can see at the beginning of the video is not coming from this plane. Mine doesn’t do that. This seems to be the case in many of the taildraggers in FlyingLiar’s videos, but never when I fly the same planes. I’d suspect it has to do with the FSRealistic first person mode he’s using.

3 Likes

It also does aerobatics like a champ, including hammerhead turns. I already said that it is better than a few payware addons, and that is also true, when it comes to its flight model!

Here is an aerobatic flight I did with it shortly after its release, if you want to convince yourself about the flight model. I’m sure someone more capable can do a lot more with it.

3 Likes

Very nice! A splendid demonstration of how she flies at her best!

1 Like

Thank you very much! I’m glad you like it =)

1 Like

I would like to announce an update to version 2.0 which brings a new engine sound that is simulated using the real specifications. There is a fantastic Engine Simulator that anyone can use to build a custom simulation that takes into account all the volumes and pressures of an engine. Here’s where you can download the Menasco B6 engine file.

The other new feature is a gauge for the panel. This can display either time, G-force, air temperature or electrical monitoring. The G-force meter is nice for the aerobatics.

Thanks for all the support for this odd little plane. It doesn’t have that many downloads but it’s as fun as ever.

5 Likes