[BUG LOGGED] ATC Callsigns missing

Hi,

I use Real-Time online traffic, and when I was flying in Japan, I noticed that some callsigns were blank in the ATC, as you can see on this screenshot:

ATC missing callsigns

I check on FlightAware, and those flights were from Japan Airlines and All Nippon Airways, and their callsigns both contain spaces (Japan Air and All Nippon), so I think there could be an issue with the ATC being unable to read callsigns with spaces.

Could you please check this or confirm it is a known issue?

Thank you.

I have also found this is occurring since WU4.
Occurs with no Mods.
Airline codes seems to have random rubbish in them. (Looks like garbage is somehow getting into a Unicode string).

If running with LNM, additional “Characters” are displayed by LNM in the Airline name for the aircraft, these can be a variety of empty boxes, boxes containg question marks, Chinese/Kani pictograms etc. Where the Airline displayed by LNM starts with regular ASCII characters, this portion is spoken/displayed by ATC in the Game.

As I now have zero faith in Zendesk reports achieving anything, I will not be spending the onerous time to formally report this as the response is, frankly, an insult.

What blows my mind is how something like that goes through testing. I thought they had plenty of beta testers for WU4. You can’t break a MAIN feature like live traffic with ATC like that and not realize it.

I bet they knew about it and pushed the update anyway.

1 Like

I wonder if it has something to do with their callsign database.

Like even before the update. I have a flight that has CTV ICAO code. CTV is currently set to use the callsign Supergreen. But the sim uses the callsign Are Aviacion instead.

Now when I google it. There was a CTV code with Are Aviacion as a callsign used for a piloting school in Spain that no longer applies.

So if this is outdated. And now we have incorrect callsign a everywhere. I wonder if this is related to their callsign database.

In that case the game needs a priority system with atc_airline in the aircraft.cfg for level 1 and the Asobo database for level 2.

At the moment the errors are so random that i don’t really know what to look for.

• sometimes it is using a legit sign like “Asiana”
  • sometimes it is using “Airbus” as sign and the airline ICAO like “ANA” becomes part of the flight number
  • sometimes it has a stroke with signs like “hz/”
  • sometimes there is no callsign at all and you only hear the number
  • sometimes there is no voice and you can only hear the clicks of the radio

Something got toasted pretty good that’s for sure.

That last point has something to do with Azure TTS server. I had that issue during launch last year where if you set it to Azure, the voice is never spoken and just end up with the clicks and cracks in the radio and the whole line is finished. At that time switching it to the Offline Windows TTS solved the issue since it no longer talks to the online Azure server for the TTS and just use the Offline Windows one. But that made it sounds so robotic.

If the cracks happen from time to time, it’s mostly because of Connection Time-Out with the Azure TTS server and either the packet got lost or it timed out too late that the voice never came out.

But everything else seems like a valid observation after the latest update.

I wonder if you guys have seen this yet.

Ever since the last update, my ATC seems corrupted. Certain airlines have hex codes or something similar as callsigns. This causes some quite funny noises from the controller as the AI tries to pronounce $B or 0xFFFFFFFF.

What is wrong and how to fix it.

Mods, feel free to move this after it has gotten some exposure.

This is a hex color code for white with a white alpha channel. (RGBA).

1 Like

But why is that an airline callsign in my ATC? :smiley:

Some characters I have never seen before. Like that weird Sanskrit looking Tlk thing.

Sounds like someone didn’t know what they were doing when they were filling in one or more [FLTSIM.x] sections in the aircraft.cfg file. What addon is this?

1 Like

The FBW A32NX newest experimental build and tail number N312FR from the Frontier Airlines Livery pack from flightsim.to.

I would have to check if I also have these hex codes when I fly other aircraft.

Edit:
My callsign works a-okay. It’s the other aircraft that have issues with their callsign. I only use live AI traffic by Asobo. No mods there.

I am seeing the same thing. no mods. different airplanes.

Same here.

On the last couple flights I’ve taken, weird callsigns have been intermixed with those that are normal in the ATC box. Anybody else experiencing these?

Yeah, have that too lately. Seems to be a new issue since WU4.

same for me too

It seems confirmed from different people. Have you also Zendesk this?

NB: to me, it looks like the simulator is sending wrong string data to the ATC window. I’ve seen similar issue in MP lately where the displayed player name had a numeral suffix, like #248

Given I’ve seen other reports where it looked like displaying similarly built numbers, I’d relate this to a bug where the simulator is sending a pointer to some memory instead of a pointer to the actual string chars (in C++).

1 Like

Got the same issues, but let everybody who have this problem indeed also make a Zendesk message, otherwise it probably won’t make it into the next update

1 Like

Thanks for the screenshots and details on this bug, I’ve sent it to the devs!

3 Likes

This has already been covered in ATC Bug after WU4. Please go vote there.