[BUG LOGGED] Blocky cloud reflections in absence of wind

Moderator Edit: Merged from another topic.

Asobo, if you don’t want to implement ray tracing please give us at least decent screen space reflections. The current cloud reflections on water when wind is calm or 2-3 knots are horrible (at Ultra settings).

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting. No

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it? No

Brief description of the issue: Especially when the wind is calm, cloud reflections on water are blocky and very ugly.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered: Alaska bush trip any leg, or fly on any location with clouds reflecting on water and wind calm / 2-3 knots

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile) 10850K / 32 GB / RTX 3090 (Ultra settings)

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue: 1.16.2.0

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version? Steam

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #? Submitted already #80738 at the time - you dismissed it as solved but did not do anything to fix this issue.

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.
No
Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No
Brief description of the issue:
Cloud reflections look blocky / very low resolution in new bush trips (Finland, Sweden tested), ULTRA settings
Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Just start the Finland / Sweden bush trips
PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)
Ryzen 3700X, Radeon 5700X, 32G memory
Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?
MS Store
Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?

This issue exist from beginning.

2 Likes

Cloud reflection are blocky in real life too.

Actualy no. In you picture - cloud reflect from Waves and distort. In MSFS2020 no matter, you have 8bit blocks even on fully flat surface

1 Like

But not jaggy, for lack of a better word. The real thing is smoothly curved…

Are you using add on presets for weather? This happened to me in VR.

No addons…

And it is an even bigger joke in VR.
Please Asobo, do something about it because it’s really awful.

This is like this since the beginning and yes, they should do something about it because this is terrible.

Sometimes the clouds are blocky:

Bump, seeing the same in the Finland bush trip, it looks like the corner of a very low res box reflected in the water.

Lots of texture problems (cloud holes) and low detail water polygons as well. Not really show case material for a bush trip.

this also happens in the Patagonia bush trip. Been flying that one this week, and there’s plenty of flying over water to notice this issue there as well.

This is horrible.

8 Likes

Its been like this some updates before. Its getting to be a joke at the moment with this sim

9 Likes

I swear I don’t remember it this bad. I gotta look through some screenshots.

Now that’s Minecraft!

2 Likes

Try it and let me know if you see the same. This was leaving KJFK about 10 miles out over the Atlantic.

How high were you?

I noticed something similar today when flying the savage cub. A low res reflection of the scenery in the side window.

Most reflections you see in game are screen space reflections. You’ll notice the blocky part is a reflection of what is above what is being shown on screen.

I haven’t seen these kind of blocky reflections before, and I don’t recall seeing any reflections that weren’t screen space reflections before but maybe I just didn’t notice.
Either these types of reflections are new or they got a serious downgrade in resolution with the last update.

1 Like