[BUG LOGGED] Blocky cloud reflections in absence of wind

cant find that airport, are you sure it’s that?

Hmmm. I should give it a go. Thanks.

No problem man, thanks for checking the issue with reflections I will report it to zendesk so they can patch it

K J F K … lol I am an idiot

No you’re not, happens =) Thanks for the reply so I can test.

Yes, it’s the wind. 0kt wind = smooth sea = blocky reflections of the clouds. This is also nothing new that came with SU5, but has been around since at least November '20.

1 Like

Oh so it was already there. Usually there is always a bit of wind so I imagine mos people had not even noticed until they started examining in detail the supposed downgrade hahaha

At that time it was particularly noticeable because there was a no-wind bug.

I just voted. I think the reason I never noticed was because until now, to reduce the variables that could cause problems with SU5, I had been using live weather.

1 Like

It’s been like this since few update, all refection/shadows on windshield/terrain/water will be better with DX12 once implemented, that was stated from Q@A, it’s current limitation.

1 Like

Oh yes the cloud reflections on the water…
I made a thread about this a few weeks ago, it has improved a little bit.

These three critics I have on the otherwise almost PERFECT sim:

There should be higher colour depth in the clouds to prevent mach lines and having cloud transparency perfectly fading out into nothingness and better fog. (And more cloud types and so on, I love these impressive weather and cloud formations in the sky.)

Bringing back the old icing system with most parts of the airplane fully freezing over. :wink: (Including flight dynamics and uplift-force degrading when ice disturbs the bernoulli-flow).
That was awesome really being in need of having anti-icing-systems to even see through the windows like it is in real-life or on cars during wintertime - instead of just some minimal freezing on the sidewindow-frames and almost zero visible icing effects on the plane itself.

And the water reflections - scenery already reflects perfectly since the newest update in lakes. And so should clouds too.

Have a good flight!

1 Like
  • Console: Xbox series x.

• Bug: shadow reflection in water.

• Reproduce: fly out from runway 26 at Stuart Island Airstrip down the slope north, fly across the bay of water then loop back to Stuart Island Airstrip over the water looking down into the bay at some point you will see clouds and mountain reflections show up like minecraft.

• Video 1 link: CloudReflectionWaterBug.mp4 - Google Drive

• Video 2 link: CloudWaterReflectionBug2.mp4 - Google Drive

• Extra info: Real time weather active, gaming on monitor Benq 4K but also a friend was with me and he was gaming on a Samsung 65 4k tv and confirmed he could also see the problems, i was going to report this 2 days ago but took time to make an account “sorry” in the 3rd video below you wll see a white overlay acting on the edge of the water left side in the video.
    I have tried in other places and not found, is it linked to Mountains and Shadows on the water due to the hight the way it would cast the shadow ?

• Video link 3: WhiteOverlayOnWater.mp4 - Google Drive

I have Dyslexia i hope this is not a problem ^^^ hope it reads ok, i do try to give you guys as much as i can to help finding and fixing bugs, this is my first test report on MSFS but not my first test report, been doing closed alpha testing since 2008 believe in Trust and NDA, thats why i host videos on my google drive instead of public places.

1 Like

ok thx i never saw the other posts :wink:

everything besides motion blur, on ultra 4k at 70%

Sad…really sad

Hello! im just try to resolve this issue for me but i cannot find a way to do it.

clouds reflections on water appear very ugly, remember me the old good vanilla version of Minecraft. :sweat_smile:
my graphics settings are on high but i use ultra for volumetric clouds, first time i see this kind of reflections on water, in update 4 all work fine but the upd5 broke something, i just not understand if is a result of the downgraded graphic of the updt5 or a bug of my system cause i think theres nothing about it in the recent hotfix post maded by Devs, or probably this is a consequence of something broken like volumetric light, i dont know.
surely this sim make the best in 2k or 4k resolution so i know a 1080p (as i play) can cause some ugly texture sometime but at this level is of course a kind of a bug.

anyway, if someone have some idea to resolve my issue i will try. thank you!

Hello everyone,

I have moved this topic to #bugs-and-issues:performance as this seems to be a graphic issue and added some tags.

The reason is that other users may have problems finding this topic and potentially would create new ones.
Some of these duplicate topics were merged behind this post, so they may seem a little out of context.

I really don’t get this “vote to fix bug” strategy. I’m glad Asobo/ms aren’t responsible for servicing my car. I can imagine it now. “Hey, my alternator bearing has seized up and it needs fixing”… “sorry mate, had a whip around the shop and it didnt garner enough votes, your on your own”

Edit: In true conformist fashion, I voted anyway :smiley:

Also cockpit cloud reflections are bad

What do you mean with “cockpit cloud reflections”? Please provide a screenshot.