[BUG LOGGED] Excessive LOD pop-in after SU5

The pop in while quite noticeable in VR is made worse by the significant stutter as it reloads and redraws the scenery. Often for me I may be looking around the cockpit at various instruments and the lod stutter hits and it will be over and over in a short period as I look out the window, look down at panel, look out the window and so on.

2 Likes

One of the big features of the game that have been marketed is the ability to fly VFR and navigating by terrain and landmarks (pilotage). This requires a good bit of looking out the windows weather your using a hat swtich, joystick axis, trackIR, or VR headset. The pop-in is immediately obvious when flying in this manner.

12 Likes

console way is the only way. Ai controlled flight while chilling with my bros on sofa
:smiley:
“As you can see im kind of a simmer myself”

1 Like

you can try it but this made absolutely no difference for me.

non just the pop ins, look at those clouds.

1 Like

Took a couple of shots with the Quest 2 last night - the graphics in that headset have plummeted in quality since the update.

This is with the power pylons I mentioned in the last post.

This is what you see when you get close (after pop-in) where just the outline becomes visible - you have to be much closer for the rest of the pylon to become visible:

Yet the low power posts are easily visible from a distance, as normal:

Yes, low on detail, but at least you can see they are there - maybe they are too small to get picked up by the “optimisation”? Although even close up, they look pretty grim and I’ve never seen posts that look like this anywhere in the UK (and I was an electronics and telecoms technician). Probably just generic, like those airfield towers. Wouldn’t have thought it would be difficult to change them to what they should look like, in the UK update we had.

This is what they actually should look like (the lower ones) not exactly a complicated model - in fact, I’d say models correctly depicting these posts would be less resource hungry than the ones used in the sim, which have multiple support legs.

http://www.cambridgelandconsultants.com/blog/2016-03-21-what-are-the-different-types-of-power-lines

2 Likes

Agreed…its just horribly how the graphics have deteriorated after SU5. Hope this will be fixed soon as the sim is not enjoyable anymore

8 Likes

Unfortunately, on my end, this is happening without vr and track ir too…

2 Likes

I put my thoughts on this and a short video showing it both at LOD 100 and LOD 200, here, click to expand the post:

(Sorry for repost, but theres so many new thread appearing its hard to know where to put things! )

1 Like

Wow, thank you for you´re non-condescending contribution and universal truth on the matter…

Agree with OP.

Love the performance improvements but would like to be able to adjust this occlusion culling - it’s far too aggressive for me. I have plenty of RAM and VRAM to leverage and would like the choice to balance visuals with performance to a degree that suits me.

At the moment I feel performance is more than enough, but the visual experience has taken a step back - I’d like the choice to correct that balance.

6 Likes

I’ve been seeing what looks like low-poly objects and trees popping to high-poly objects and trees from as near as 100 yards away at low vfr.

This is what I think you’re seeing too with those pylons.
It’s very immersion-breaking.
No amount of tinkering around with settings seems to make all but the minutest difference.

My trees look awful - they "fill’ themselves as you approach or look around.
If they could just fix that from happening the rest of the world looks perfectly acceptable to the horizon.
Why have to have this sort of thing going on so close to the aircraft?

2 Likes

Exactly. The price we paid for more performance was just too much. We should have a say in the matter (in the form of a slider in the graphics settings).

3 Likes

Look how Newark is popping in. Real immersion killer. The effect becomes even more terrible when traveling at faster speeds.
Sim is Vanilla, no Mods, Graphics at Ultra.

Internet: 1 Gbit
CPU: AMD 3900X (Water cooled, not overclocked)
RAM: 64 GB RAM
GPU: NVIDIA 3090 (All graphic settings on Ultra. 38" UW)
SSD: 2TB 4Gen NVME Samsung Pro (reads and writes at around 6000 MB/s in my system)
OS (Win 10) and MSFS (via Steam) freshly installed two weeks ago.
Flight stick and throttle from Thrustmasters Airbus edition.
TrackIR

Also sad: I don’t get 60 fps in some parts of the world, even though my CPU and GPU isn’t maxed out. (FPS counter top right corner)

(not moving, just standing there. JFK)

(Nose up to the sky, but still no 60 fps and CPU/GPU not maxed)

2 Likes

Confirmation that the lod ranges have been pretty much halved at Ultra, and probably the same at other Terrain Lod Levels.

Hoping its a bug… because if it isn’t they did this on purpose while claiming not to downgrade PC graphics at the last Q&A.

10 Likes

Just moving the camera normally here and the pop-in is still visible

6 Likes

Yes, same for me. The constant redraw of objects entering the viewport is terrible.

4 Likes

I somehow believe that the graphics downgrade is a bug. I do not see any valid reason why ASOBO would nerf the visuals in such a way, that Ultra looks like Medium now. The thing which would make the most sense is, that everyone was supposed to tune the graphics to their own liking - either performance or visuals. And I genuinely believe, this is what ASOBO was aiming for.
Maybe it is just a issue with the settings itself and not with the graphics.

1 Like

I agree. There are only three possible reasons for limiting the quality on PC:

1. It’s necessary
  2. It’s done out of malice
  3. It’s a mistake

We can eliminate #1 right off the bat because it’s not logical. It’s clearly not necessary since players are demanding they revert it back to the way it was.

We can also eliminate #2 because Asobo is a business and they’re trying to make money, and intentionally antagonizing the playerbase would be financial and PR suicide. No company is that stupid and Microsoft would never in a million years work with a company like that.

That leaves us with #3. It HAS to be a mistake; that’s by far the most likely explanation.

It can be both #1 and #3.

The developers believed that reducing visual quality was necessary as it was the only feasible way of increasing performance so drastically. However, they did not expect the reaction from the community to be this negative and perhaps miscalculated the situation.

6 Likes