[BUG LOGGED] Excessive LOD pop-in after SU5

This thread has been passed on to the devs as an FYI!

33 Likes

I thought SU5 was going pretty well until I was about 1km from Bangkok Intl when it, and all of the surrounding buildings (for a few hundred metres) suddenly popped-in (many between me and the runway) throwing me momentarily given it was 50% of the viewable area through the windshield. I did consider it might well have been a bandwidth, or maybe even a server issue, just as easy as a culling issue though.

2 Likes

Appreciate you posting here Jayne. It means a lot knowing the team is listening and taking feedback into account.

We understand thereā€™s not going to be a fix overnight, and itā€™s always an ongoing process, so knowing all this feedback is going somewhere helps a ton.

6 Likes

Well said. If they are aware of the issue thatā€™s half the battle. I for one was really loving the sim the last few weeks, so Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll eventually get to fixing things.

1 Like

Great to see the developers are listening the feedback on the popping, many thanks!

As a long time simmer.

Sliders. Give us more sliders. And try to burn my machine to the ground on ultra with content (as efficiently as possible). If I need to build a better machine to max it out - so be it. If my sliders are too high for good performance, thatā€™s my problem, not the developers. (again, as efficiently and optimized as possible, please). Am I asking for too much??

9 Likes

I managed to get some testing done last night in VR and I can confirm that there is stutter caused by this when moving my head left and right. If I keep my head stationary itā€™s mega smooth. But, as pilots, we do need to move our head a lot. Thanks Jayne @Jummivana for the information above. Much appreciated. I also appreciate your post on keeping the forums a constructive place. Really hope in a month or so we are back on an even keel. Have a great weekend everyone.

3 Likes

much appreciated :slight_smile: we might get frustrated, but only because we love the sim too much

4 Likes

Absolutely, I completely agree with you sir.

much appreciated! this problem has really reduced the immersion for me.

4 Likes

Even at big airports the cars and carriers pop-up

**edited for spelling - sorry if I missed any, these eyes aren;t getting any younger!

I took a couple of flights at very low altitudes over Lincolnshire in the UK taking off from EGCL Fenland, and one from Nondalton in Alaska, PANO (or 5NN in old money).

Both were far better than expected, after reading all the early posts (I waited two days after release to download the update and -suprise - it went amazingly quickly, though still with crashes during download).

I fly in VR - using Index on these tests.

Firstly, all flights ended in CTD except one - the first ones I ever had where I wasnā€™t using converted models - but at varying times of flight.

All the terrain and buildings looked just fine - with no pop-ins at all at this sort of altitude. Thatā€™s up to 500ft max in Lincs and circuit altitude at PANO. So I was really pleased about that.

The problems came on the airfields themselves. Towers not appearing until I am either about to hit them, in flight, or am directly adjacent to them on the ground/runway. The only hint that anything was there was the flashing strobe on top - though the power pylons donā€™t have those, of course. They popped in at a distance suitable for avoiding them in GA, but only the outline - the detail appeared at very close range. This made them look pretty awful.

I was using fpsVR to check performance - Iā€™d like to add that I use a fixed framerate in SteamVR of 18fps - which has made for very smooth, reliable, VR performance. fpsVR showed that this framerate was indeed applied in the tests. I have the detail set at 100 in the sim.

I noticed a big improvement in fpsVR - I normally donā€™t use it FS because it is usually just wall-to-wall red graphs. On these tests it was orange - which is thought to be acceptable.

Hereā€™s what made me balk - RAM use. When I first started flying FS (in VR) I had stuttering. So I doubled my RAM from 16GB (3600MHz DDR4) to 32GB and that stuttering just disappeared instantly, with zero config/option changes.
On this test, at PANO the RAM usage never rose above 7.9GB - in fact it was nailed to that for the entire flight - and in the UK it never rose above 8.9GB

I remember checking previously and I couldnā€™t swear an oath on it, but Iā€™m pretty sure it used to show around 11GB RAM usage. Unfortunately, I can only get fpsVR to appear in screenshots if I use the Quest 2, so I have to go from memory or write things down when using Index.

When I tried to fly the Blackbox Islander from Fenland, it crashed on take-off each time, so I put that down to perhaps an update needed from the dev.

The flight at Nondalton in the Bonanza was the only one that didnā€™t crash. I have some screens below, showing that tower - from approach it just wasnā€™t visible - and itā€™s right next to the runway - but appeared as I was passing on the runway. When I got to the end of the runway and started truning onto the taxiway, I noticed it had disappeared again.

The shots are from VR, so not that large - but you can easily see the effect.

The one at Fenland behaved the same - and note that it is the same tower model ( antenna or radar? canā€™t tell - but a metal frame tower). This time in the basic default Cub.

I start from a short distance away and add shots to where the tower appears for that one.

Sorry for the longer post - wanted to try and avoid anyone asking things as I donā€™t come here that often.

Here is the point on the runway at PANO, where the tower appeared:

These shots show me turning at the end of the runway, which is only 2,800ft long, up to where that tower reappears:

The same for Fenland - only this time in flight:

For me itā€™s not a deal breaker - but it spoils the experience, especially when you rely on these kinds of objects for navigation - i.e. low altitude stripping around hard to find airfields that are little more than defined edges of farm fields.
Iā€™ll see how I get on with that, but I have reservations.

edit: forgot to mention that the Cub flight looked like it would be okay after intial stutters, but after about 20 minutes I got mega-stutters/pausing and in fpsVR noticed that the GPU graph bottomed out repeatedly (zero framerate/zero VRAM usage) just before the CTD, while the CPU graph was normal (at around 55% cpu usage as usual).

4 Likes

With all due respect the Devs shouldnā€™t need this thread as an ā€œFYIā€ as surely they must play their own Sim, itā€™s plainly obvious.

6 Likes

Good examples, really shows the issue well.

1 Like

Iā€™m loving the performance gains of Update 5 but notice quite a lot of scenery esp trees popping into view as I come in to land. Itā€™s pretty immersion breaking. Any idea how to reduce this? I have my LOD for terrain and buildings set to 100. Would increasing this help?

Then I thought it might be an internet issue?

Any tips would be gratefully received.

Thanks!

3 Likes

i do not have that popup. its di9fefrent for different systems.
i absolutely like this update.

Donā€™t expect it to be fixed. Hot fix didnā€™t address it. They donā€™t care.
Trackir + MSFS = B A D
What a mess.
POP POP POP POP POP POP

PACO572

2 Likes

no itā€™s not different for different systems
it was aknowledged by devs and implemented as a feature for low med spec systems.
They just didnā€™t realize PC users might want to adjust their experience and not get it forced on them.

1 Like

yup still getting Xbox pops
at least didnā€™t CTD so far, but others still crash on push Fly :frowning:

Its the same for all systems, devs changed the way rendering works to the xbox system, they even acknowledged it.

1 Like

2 Likes