[BUG LOGGED] Excessive LOD pop-in after SU5

Also, I play VR mostly, reverb g2, it’s even more noticeable in vr since it’s right in front of your eyes. It was there pre-SU5 but generally on large blocks of terrain pretty far away and much easier to overlook, now it’s everywhere and at a much closer distance. I’ve been trying to reconfig settings in 2D to accomodate the changes, but it’s useless.

1 Like

Yeah, In another thread I made the below long reply where I tried to explain to someone why the new system is significantly worse than before and destroys the experience especially in VR. I hope they can fix it very soon.

2 Likes

I noticed the same thing for the Frankfurt skyline, see this thread:
Airport beacon (+ generic scenery buildings) popping in - Bugs & Issues / Scenery - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Note that this effect is not only due to culling since the skyscrapers vanish at some distance (about when you’re at the airport) even when you’re looking at downtown constantly.
I also found that some objects like the airport beacon tower at AI generated airports pop into view only at very close distance. This is certainly a bug where maybe some LODs of the model are missing?

I could also imagine that when you’re panning around, the sim first loads some low LOD versions of the model and then gradually morphs them (hence people seeing morphing issues) and maybe if some building types etc. still have some bugs like missing LODs this leads to them popping in.

1 Like

Yes, for me this morphing/upgrading you describe is mostly apparent on trees. I haven’t shown a video of it, but you can often turn to look out the window and then after a second some trees pop out of nowhere, and all the others wriggle and grow slightly, I guess as they are being upgraded. It happens even to the trees at close distance, it ruins the immersion totally.

To be honest, even though I’m using TrackIR I don’t notice these issues much, but it might be very dependent on hardware, settings, and I’m just not good at noticing graphical details anyway lol. So I’m not that critical of the performance update and the improvements in itself. However, I think it’s not very polished yet and I’m certain there are still bugs (like missing LODs) that aggravate the issue and make it much more noticeable.

Sadly, they’ve broke the LOD and Occlusion for good… A perfectly working and beautiful simulator downgraded to fit XBOX requirements… I hope Asobo takes care of this, or else, the dream is over…

7 Likes

LOL, VRAM use, I changed only one thing in these three screen shots and did not involved settings.

Pretty sure, that this must be a bug. I have flown with SU5 + hotfix for several hours now and I did not yet come up with such culling issues so far.

Also my VR experience looks amazing without objects popping in/jumping around etc, but with far better performance. I was f.e. able to fly over London in VR with high/ultra settings and it was acceptable (not as smooth as in other areas obviously, but enjoyable) - London PG still looks awful, though, the only thing worse was my terrible “landing” - not used to the Robin Cap.

What I noticed after SU5: Reflections appear to look worse in VR and jump around worse than before when moving your head. So I turned them off for now.

And I notice the stuttering when changing internal/external view (only if my view angle of external camera is off the internal view). Then I see object reloading - however within half a second or less. Nothing compared to what you show in your video.

So I think it is a bug, which will be sorted out, or something messed up with caching, settings etc.

In general, when Asobo does optimizations, I am happy they do, but I also think they should optimise the settings Low to High and leave LOD etc. untouched for very high and ultra settings. Or enhance the sliders - or have an “automatic optimization” option which can be turned on or off. In general, PC users should be able to set options as they see fit while XBOX settings obviously need to be locked.

IMO, that´s the way to go, so both platforms can share one version with option configurations open for PC users to choose whether to run the same optimization features or not. And I am still convinced that Asobo will address this. Be confident.

2 Likes

Key words, VR, most people are happy with VR.

Not sure if it’s really running great or it was that bad before, :wink:

2 Likes

Seems like the new LOD issues will be taken care of in an upcoming hotfix and World Update 6.

2 Likes

I’d just point out that this pop-in problem isn’t only when panning around (basically waiting until in view to actually draw the objects). That is certainly happening and really kills the beauty and immersion when, for example, flying a VFR traffic pattern and quickly glancing left and then back straight ahead to check your orientation.

It seems there was also a drastic reduction in the distance away from your viewpoint within which objects (trees, buildings) are drawn. This is seen even without changing your view. You can stare straight ahead and watch as trees and buildings pop into view once coming inside this view distance. It’s very obvious when approaching a city with tall buildings, but can be seen pretty easily even with trees and smaller buildings.

It feels that this object draw distance was drastically reduced from before SU5 to improve performance, along with completely removing from memory/cache any objects not directly in your view direction. Yes, having all of these objects still in memory and/or visible reduces performance, but that was a trade-off I was willing to accept. It very much makes the VFR flying in MSFS feel so real! Please consider bringing that draw distance back up to the previous much larger value (or at least providing another slider so we can adjust this ourselves).

Thanks!

5 Likes

Its not mentioned in the release notes but will the stutter when panning towards the horizon in all cameras be fixed? The camera runs really smooth but when looking down at the cockpit then up at the horizon their is a significant stutter in the camera and in Track IR, This is the most annoying but even more so than scenery popping for me

1 Like

Mod edit:
Some of the following posts were merged into this topic.

Seriously?? How is respawning the same thing everytime I look back and forth at something supposed to be a good thing??? So now everytime I look out the side windows, I get to watch everything pop in, plus a sim stutter for a couple of seconds? Really really shocking for those with head tracking… :disappointed:

2 Likes

This has been covered in many threads. It is related to memory utilisation, and there will be fixes in WU6.

3 Likes

clear your shader cache

1 Like

How would one do this? I don’t use any caches but I still have the popping anyway. Are you saying you don’t have the pops?

1 Like

Yea true LOL

Yea the couple seconds stutter I have that sometimes too,

Bali international WADD seems another area badly affected. Note I do not use active pause here so the aircraft is moving forwards on approach. Here are autogen buildings popping up as I get nearer, which then pop up again when I look down to throttles and back up to the runway. It is even worse than this in VR. Ultra settings, 10850k, 3090, 32gb RAM but only 6gb used.

Man, the more I play in the sim the more I stare at these terrible popins. Every time I’m on final approach I can’t help to notice everything just being generated as I’m getting closer and closer to the approach.

I can handle the degraded graphics, but dang, fixe the draw distance.

3 Likes