[BUG LOGGED] Multiplayer Stuttering after world update - Liveries Bug report

Can’t say I disagree with any of that. At least with AI/Live traffic, there is no chance of them having a livery you don’t own.

Yeah thats what iv done…Hope this gets fixed soon

I can confirm what @BigHerbiezoid is saying. I was testing with my friends last night and the issues are most certainly related to 3rd party aircraft. The most extreme example was when we tested with the carbon cub community addon aircraft. I was in a default cub crafter aircraft and he spawned in with the carbon cub from flightsim.to, my fps went from about 50fps to less than 2 fps. When he exited to the main menu the fps was restored to 50fps. Of general note is that even when there are not any players about we experienced rhythmic micro stutters every second or so as is well demonstrated on this thread already so this is clearly a widespread issue that requires urgent attention. Thanks for your support.

That isn’t exactly what @BigHerbiezoid is saying. He’s saying it’s related to a livery mismatch between 2 players in the same planes. It could also include custom planes somehow but that’s not the primary use case. Personally atm there isn’t a single stock plane I fly as every one has such significant omissions that the only way to enjoy the sim is with a mod. (The 172 is an honourable exception but I don’t fly VFR that much any more)… I’m fine with that - MS supplied a platform and it can be filled with paid or free modules - in fact I wish they’d reduced the number of supplied planes in the first place to reduce the fixing effort being soaked up now. BUT - this MP bug is a platform breaking issue so it needs to be focused on 100% by the devs.

my conclusion after the 2 worst updates I have experienced for 1 year with this program .
I do not buy planes and addons for this sim until something changes fundamentally.
I would be ashamed of myself as a developer

2 Likes

The scope of this sim is massive and I think the real issue is the testing methodology. I watched the Twitch dev stream and it looks as if the first steps are taken towards doing more representative pre-release testing. My concern with what I heard (may not be reality) is that testers were selected based on sign-up speed following the invite. Given that MS can see what planes and type of flying users are doing from the server interactions, I think a better approach may be to target selected users based on how much they use the sim and the a/c and flight modes they use. Get a pool and invite them - if more than you need apply, random draw to select. If they perform the testing appropriately - default them for the next cycle so the experience builds.

2 Likes

The issue is ‘at scale’ testing. You can test 100s of hours locally with your own in-house QA team, however, with a sandbox (and simulator with many parameters and variables) it should ideally be tested at scale since you will not capture all possible errors (and even then some will be missed due to individual hardware issues).

For example, the 300 testers pre WU IV’s release didn’t encounter these issues as far as I am aware. So, the issue isn’t as simple ‘they are bad developers’ and I wish people would stop trivialising the development of software in such a way.

1 Like

I and others in group flights have experienced the stutter in stock (not 3rd party) C172’s when someone comes in with a unique livery (usually 3rd party). When the offending player goes to a livery everyone else has, the stutter stops. As for the BushLeagueLegends Xcub there are multiple models. If someone in a flight does not have one of the models installed that others are flying you can get stutter. This indicates that a model mismatch can also cause the stutter.

1 Like

this is not quite correct the problem with the WASM was reported by some beta testers . This was even confirmed and and the update was released anyway

1 Like

That was precisely my point… I am not trivialising the effort required - quite the contrary.

What surprises me is that no-one from the 300 plus in-house testers encountered a significant issue exposed in multiplayer by flying with disparate liveries.

Not possible to be definitive without visibility of the testing methodology employed.

My point remains - select testers who are experienced in the areas which need to be tested rather than good reflexes.

Useful confirmation. Tx.

Also experiencing the same issue since WU4. Mostly large group flights, but even when flying solo, and I arrive into a busy airport with plenty of other users, I get the same stuttering, so it’s definitely related to the multiplayer aspect of it. I have a reasonably high end machine and my actual framerates are generally good (30-40 FPS). It’s just a consistent stuttering pattern when near other users, and even then my framerates are good.

Multiplayer is only available between users who are running the same build of the simulator.

Hello, we made a simple test with a friend :

Same server
Same aircraft
Different livery : 1 base livery, 1 custom livery NOT available on my side
Result : Latencies on my side

Friend with custom livery switch to developper mode to load :
Same aircraft model
Diffrent base livery but avalaible on my side
Result : latency disappeard as soon as my friend in MENUS (3D aircraft desappear from my screen)
no latency with same aircraft and 2 differents liveries available on my et his side

Conclusion : Some liveries non available for players around does latencies in game AND in menus for players

Regards

I remember about a couple month ago, when someone spawned with a base aircraft, but with a custom livery, we used to see a generic aircraft (like a Mooney for GA) instead of the base aircraft

I don’t know if something has been changed on this side

Yes, something has definitely changed. I think you still see the generic plane if the player has an add-on aircraft that you don’t own. But if he has the same plane as you, only with a livery you don’t own, instead of the generic Mooney you see nothing except for his flashing gamertag and and a disabilitating one-second freeze.

1 Like

That’s interesting. Now that you mention it, any time I experience these stutters, there’s usually an “invisible” aircraft on my screen (as in I can see the name tag but not the aircraft. I think you might be on to something there.

Eh? Never said it wasn’t?

I can confirm the “livery theory” after some tests when the bug happene.

So here it is: if two players fly the same plane in the same area, and one has a livery that the other player doesn’t have, then the second player will suffer from the slideshow effect until the first player removes the livery or changes server.

I could confirm this theory by changing livery to the default one with the aircraft selection of the developer mode.

1 Like

What if you turn on the “Use generic plane models” option mid flight? Does that mask the issue?

In theory, this should force those planes to be represented by generic plane models, as well as liveries. You don’t get anything custom with that option on.