[BUG LOGGED] Settings do not stick since SU5

I’m not going to trawl through the whole thread to see if it has been suggested nor am I going to guarantee it still works but before SU5 those who edited UserCfg.opt did so after they made all their other sim changes, they marked the file ‘read only’ and then made no further settings changes whatsoever as doing so will revert all of them back to those shown in the menus. That probably includes dev mode selection or anything else that means “Apply and Save”.

I suggest putting a shortcut in documents along with a text based copy that includes all of your optimisations that you can simply C&P over replacing the text in the original, save and once again mark ‘read only’ so it sticks if you don’t make further changes. You can also access these files in sim by pressing the windows key and navigating to the docs folder. It’s sure to be laborious but we’ve already been told the higher LODs will be available after the next update so be patient.

It’s already been said the read only trick doesn’t work because whether read only or not, once you toggle settings from any of low-mid-high-ultra, whatever you have set in usercfg.opt is overwritten for that session.

And if you actually read my post it says don’t toggle settings afterwards. the UserCfg hack is the last settings change you should make.

I read your post but you didn’t read the thread. As mentioned numerous times, that won’t work with this bug. The workaround requires a toggle which negates usercfg.opt read only or not.

Well I guess that’s my fault for not looking but I did say no guarantees since SU5.
FYI I don’t even use it as with my gpu it’s a pointless exercise

As a workaround I suggest not marking read only and C&P’ing at every start or maybe before closing the sim I can’t say

This bug is internal, so don’t have any direct relation with what you have in the user cfg file. What you have in the file, and also what you see in the settings menu, is not what you get during fly.
Édit: so C&P will not work

Really? but surely we’ve seen examples in game or is that just before hotfix 2?

This doesn’t seem to be fixed with 1.19.8.0 released today. I wonder why Asobo doesn’t see this as an issue. It’s not even mentioned as a known issue.

After 1.19.8.0 Update

1. I never had a problem with Culling while panning the camera.
    I don’t know if \it was fixed or not.
  2. I had previously changed the UserCfg.opt file as follows:
    Preset Custom
    ObjectsLoD = 9
    TerrainLoD = 9
    File set to read Only
  3. Still need to set this after this update.
    This was not affected by this update.

Still have the problem. Its the settings - aircraft don’t appear as sharp, lighting not as clear. Then when I update to ultra it cures itself.

Also. Anyone having the last airports not saving on the world map.

Graphic settings are still defaulted to “Medium” they are not true to Ultra graphic setting.

Head to EGNX and look at the buildings , press medium graphics then save, then ultra the. Save. Watch all the details go back on.

Also World map isn’t saving last airports.

Nothing fixed.

And you can confirm your user config file isn’t set to read only?

1 Like

Yes . Not set to read only. Won’t save last airports in world map also. Since SU5

This is an EGNX specific issue only. It can’t be reproduced at any other location.

If you leave the config file as read only, you won’t get the new off screen cache option included in the config file, and hence you won’t see any difference from this.

Interesting.
I set UserCfg.opt as not Read Only.
Set Preset Custom
Obj LOD = 9
Terrain LOD = 9
Set file as “Read Only”

Ended FS2020 back to the desktop.

Started FS2020 from the Start Menu.

You are right.
The UserCfg.opt file was changed back to the FS2020 default.

So, that means that I will have to change it each time I run FS2020.
It was not like this prior to 1.19.8.0
The “Read Only” attribute was honored.

I guess ASOBO decided to change this.

But, I will keep changing it every time until I get tired and
decide to stop using FS2020.

OK, maybe at cross purposes. Here is what I understand goes on with the config file.

If it is NOT read only:

When you start the sim, the settings are loaded. If you make changes in the sim, those changes take effect for that session (until you close the sim) and are written to the config file so that they persist to the next session.

If the file IS read only:

When you start the sim, the settings are loaded. If you make changes in the sim, those changes take effect for that session (until you close the sim) BUT are NOT written to the config file and they don’t persist to the next session.

I don’t know what happens if you change the file WHILST the sim is running (which is what I think you did here from your post above).

If you have LODs set as 9 with the file read only, they will be 9 in the sim as long as you don’t make any changes to the graphics settings. Note that if you make any graphics settings changes, the graphics settings shown in the UI will be applied for the remainder of that session. So to keep LOD 9, you must not make any changes to the graphics settings at all [note that there may be some settings that don’t do this, e.g. data settings etc - I;ve not tried them all]

By the way, this is how people are saying they are getting 30+ FPS with LOD 9 - becuase they aren’t actually seeing LOD 9 at all - they’ve checked the graphics settings or made some other change that means the sim resets the LODs to whatever is shown in the UI.

If the file is read only when you start the sim after the update, it cannot add the new off screen cache setting to the config file - but I see it has now done that, so that setting will now take effect.

Hope that helps

1 Like

How would you possibly know this without having been to every airport?

Because the bug has been around for several weeks and nobody has provided any evidence from any other airport or indeed any other location that is reproducable.

That would be an assumption yet to be proven. I’d like to hear from Asobo directly on this. If you’re right, at a minimum, they should have patched EGNX and stated that this was an EGNX specific issue given the # of people interested in this issue.