Built my own Rudder pedals

I’m super proud of myself just having built my first ever pedals from scratch. Used a Arduino Leonardo board and had to learn to program for the first time ever. They work amazingly well, a hundred times better than my thrustmaster ones which were plain useless.

19 Likes

Ingenuity at work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

lol yep… I had the TFRP… cheap plastic scratching on a badly polished steel rod…Good work with yours… a bit rugged maybe but if they do their job, well done :smiley:

1 Like

nice work, thats more than i could do lol

2 Likes

looks better after a lick of paint ha ha

6 Likes

Very nice!

Simple yet rugged is a good look for aviation.

Great work coming up with something like that, despite having never attempted such before. You have ended up with something similar to the Thrustmaster TPR’s, and it’s impressive to have included the toe brakes in a first attempt. Love the circuit board protection option too - don’t change that, whatever else you do!

2 Likes

Wow, very impressive. Awesome to be able to build something like that from scratch!

Personally, I never would’ve got past the idea stage😊

1 Like

I love to see the ingenuity of people on this forum. Nicely done!!!

1 Like

cool good work enjoy

1 Like

Thanks all for the kind words. I’m very happy with how well they work and for how they came out, Im 70 years old and have macular degeneration so I don’t see that well ha ha. Welding and soldering sucks I know but after many tries I hit the right spot ha ha.

Now you just need to add a stepper motor or a servo motor in the middle and you’d have yourself a set of force feedback rudder pedals… lol

1 Like

Will think about it lol.

It takes a little more than that, but FFB rudders are great.

1 Like

I’m sure it does, but I like a challenge ha ha

Yes it’s a simplification but they’re way easier to build than a yoke.

1 Like

Can you share measurements and code?

I’m building a cockpit for xbox. You Mentioned using a board and programming so here’s my question. Would i be able to by pass that by soldering a jumper wire to the twist function on my stick? I would just be intercepting the signal. Still using the programming of my stick. Then i can solder jumper wire to my racing pedals for ps4. Splice it in right after potentiometer before signal reaches board.

Not sure if I can help with this Question. Do you mean that you want to use the wires going to the joystick twist potentiometer and lengthen and splice them to the pedal potentiometer. If so as long as the pots are the same say all 100k linear pots and you disconnect the wiring in the pedals it should work. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. But my main goal is to use this same concept with a keyboard. Xbox and msfs recognizes usb keyboard. So my goal is to solder a jumper wire to each key and connect to a switch/lever/button in the cockpit. (Ignition, flaps, battery, starter, lights etc.) I’ve seen videos of custom keyboards basically doing this. I will just be connecting to switches in their real life location. Will this work as easy as i have in my head? I haven’t heard of anyone doing this for some reason.

Sorry This is beyond me. I’m a PC user and only dabble at making my own stuff. Try looking if you can find any info on the net. Lots of good stuff out there if you search hard enough. Good luck with the getting it to work.