Bush plane falls from sky in third leg of Unalaska bush trip. It’s like running out of gas. Can’t get beyond this point

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No
Brief description of the issue:

Bush plane on the third leg of Unalaska bush trip just crashes to the ground. It likes run out of gas???
Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

start the third leg and prop quits turning and crash.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

velocity one on my xbox

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Well, the question would be…

is it out of fuel?

1 Like

I remember I had something similar. Motor stops like it is running out of fuel but fuel gauge still shows there is gas. This is not a bug, IIRC, this bush trip uses the XCub, which has separate gas selector (left and right). You need to keep an eye on the fuel levels on both wings. The xcub has nice transparent tubes to show the level on each wing. In the real world, you want to keep the fuel balanced switching the gas selector every 5 gallons:

Here is a picture of the transparent tube showing the gas level on the left wing (CTRL+5 on PC):

This is the selector (CTRL+6 on PC):

WOW! Thank you sooooooo much. I just assumed you never run out of fuel, this is so cool. Took me awhile to learn how not to tip over on my propeller when I landed and applied brakes, now to pay attention to the fuel guages. Thanks again!

5 Likes

At some point, even with switching between tanks, you’ll need to refuel. Bind a key to “Repair and refuel” and use it when you’re getting low.

Thanks for the heads up.

I have an unused button on the TB V1 quadrant I have refuel bound to, just for bush trips. Some of them are slogs ‘where we finally conclude at this magnificent mud puddle!’ and have no intention of the ‘experience’ of lining up for fuel if they even have it. Most times in the NX you can land so short, you just hit next and take off again. Comes in handy for the wonky fuel system in the Staggerwing too :grinning: Just push the magic button when it starts sputtering 5 minutes into a flight and forget that Rube Goldberg setup. Don’t need to simulate everything. If I were a Staggerwing owner in real life, I’m sure I would have it down to muscle memory and intuition and I’m not seeking it out as FS mini-game just because developer.

Why do we assume that you will never run out of fuel?

Even having absolutely no idea what you just said I’m sitting here laughing and smiling and scratching my head. thanks

Now I’m asking myself that also. :slight_smile:

Glad you can be on your way now!
I marked @JosephAlley’s post as the solution and moved this to Community Support so this can help other people.

You know you made a grave error in racing sims when you’re about 1/2 way around that lap of Spa. Still not playing Staggerwing whack-a-mole.

To be honest, I thought that too as I did the first BT when msfs launched. Thinking because they are basically scripted flights, they were simplified. :wink:

Glad your flying!
As said above though, set up a key mapping for repair/refuel. There is no other way to refuel in the BT’s.

The general statement is not entirely correct. Since SU4 or SU5, when Perfect Flight started creating missions, it is possible to refuel in a regular way.
At the start of each leg and at any airport that offers fuel.

I just find most of the legs disappointing and going up to the fuel area not exactly adding to the fun.

Even when I knew I could run out of fuel, I was scratching my head when it happened since I was observing the fuel meter on the outside camera view. It was actually a nice experience, because when it happened I remember I searched for alternate landing runways and I just made to a nearby landing field that was not part of the flight plan. I still couldn’t figure out why the plane would lose engine. I just hit CTRL+R and continued the flight. I only found the left-right tank thing later.

Another new info. I can’t tell since when, but after a few months without playing bush trips, I started again the Finland one and I noticed every leg is now automatically refueling.

That’s weird, perhaps something particular for that specific bushtrip. Recently did south NZ bushtrip and did have to manually refuel.

The note about auto refuel on the bush trips was a little confusing. But here’s what it said from the release notes for the 40th Anniversary update:

“Activity
Auto refuel at the end of the leg is no longer activated by default across all existing bush trips (can be set via RefuelOnLegStart)”.
In any case, I seem to find it inconsistent in it’s application.
Regards