C-208 reverse thrust?

Hi All,

Its been several months since i flew the Caravan. On a flight yesterday into a short runway I applied reverse thrust, and there was nothing? I have the VF TQ6 throttle and checked the calibration with the VFHub, and all is correct. Is there some other place I should check to see why reverse thrust is not working? Or maybe the default 208 doesn’t have reverse thrust? Is there a better 208 available? Thanks!

Did you check to ensure you have a binding set for reverse thrust? I’m pretty sure the Caravan has it. I haven’t flown it in a long time, but I seem to remember it had one.

EDIT: I don’t know about your particular throttle, but most will have a “switch” built into it when you place it all the way back. That’s typically the switch that activated reverse thrust.

There is a payware (analogue) C208 by Black Square which is better (IMO) than the stock caravan.

However, the lack of reverse thrust is really a sim limitation that they have yet to fix. There is currently no axis for the PT6 power lever including the beta range and reverse. The PT6 thrust lever really combines power/thrust and prop pitch and there is currently no axis in the sim which models that. To get reverse, I think you will have to use F2 or some keybind for Max_reverse.

A pity considering it’s a pretty high end, pricey unit. Both the Logitech and Honeycomb have said switch when completely down to trigger thrust reverse.

Agreed. It should be on the axis vs being on a separate switch. Reverse shouldn’t be an on/off thing. But that’s not likely to ever be fixed. Hell, it’s not even recognized as a problem.

I use a button on my throttle mapped to “decrease throttle” which allows me to successfully engage reverse thrust on the stock Caravan. To engage it, I put the throttle to minimum then press and hold the aforementioned button to enter reverse thrust. To disengage reverse thrust, move the throttle lever briefly forward. Works great.

1 Like

Well I hope that you are being overly pessimistic. It is certainly not a priority at the moment but I hope they recognize it as an issue. I certainly take every opportunity to remind them that turboprops are not yet finished. Hopefully, the turboprop devs like SWS and Black Square are also on their backs.

I also hope they improve turboprops. They’ve taken a few baby steps, but there’s still plenty that doesn’t work right. I’m not terribly optimistic about certain aspects of the sim. The older I get, the more cynical I become.

If you use a switch to toggle reverse thrust, make sure you go into the settings for that command, and set it to “on release” instead of “on press”. I had this problem with on press where sometimes it worked and sometimes not. It just keeps firing the toggle whilst you hold the button / switch, so you have like a 50-50 chance of it still being in forward thrust when you come off of the switch.

My Logitech TQ’s switch (the one when you pull back on the throttle lever) keeps failing though. Not sure if it’s faulty units or something else but I have had a second replacement unit fail in the exact same way after 2 weeks for the second time. Annoying!

1 Like

I don’t use a button for reverse thrust, just the axis.

Set your TQ6 throttle to the idle point, and look at the response curve. You should see a white dot. Now adjust the Neutral setting so that the white dot sits on the central horizontal line.

As you move the throttle below the idle point, into reverse thrust, you should see the white dot travel up to the right. Everything above that line is now reverse thrust. No buttons, and an actual reverse thrust axis.

At idle

Full reverse

2 Likes

Hmm. I think that is how my TQ6 is set up but I don’t think the throttle goes to full reverse. I can still pull it back further using the mouse. I am going to check mine again to make sure. It would be great to see a cockpit video of your throttle movement.

Thanks guys!! I’m gonna have my son check my system out when he comes up in a couple weeks. Hopefully we can get the reverse thrust working again!

I just tested the Black Square C208 and the reverse thrust is working with my TQ6 set up as described above by hobanagerik. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.