C172 float version take off

I took the float 172 out for a spin to one of my local lakes the other day. Landing was a little bouncy but, I made it alive and it seems to maneuver in the water okay. For some reason, I can not take off! She’ll bounce around and hit 25-30kts, but never go any faster. Naturally, if I attempt to t/o at 30kts, it’s stall city. Am I missing something or is this feature just nor working right now?

Make sure that the landing gear is up during water operations. Otherwise it will create a lot of drag. Also make sure you have the nose in the winddirection. Deploy flaps and start gently pulling on the yoke at 30 kts in order to lift the front of the floats out of the water. Let her get airborne by itself and stay low just above the waves to pick-up speed…

Are you shure you have set full power?
Water starts works fine for me and so far I know also the water rudder is retracted during take off and landing.

Yes, this reduces the bumps a lot.

Steering on water with deployd water rudder is difficult for me.
Even on slow speed. For me it seems that any parameter is missing in an *.cfg file

Thanks for the tips. I’ll double check everything and try it again! Is there a switch to drop the water rudders or is it automatic?

Search the Keyboard Contols for “Water or Water Rudder”.
I have found there the # Key is bound to the water rudder.

1 Like

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

no

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

can take off without any issue with the C172 float version

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

The water dynamics are(more than) a bit off, it automatically starts pitching at exactly 60KT. Some developers have been able to beat it with programming voodoo, like the goose. But for the 172, into the wind. You can ‘cheat’ a little bit with a full flap takeoff into the wind, get out of the water before 60 and level off immediately at a few feet above the surface and half the flaps, hold it till it picks up speed at level.

It’s a bit hokey. You CAN ride it through the turbulent water and get off at 70+ for a smoother liftoff, but both ways are immersion breaking. For some reason too, the 172 also seems quite under powered in float form, especially before 90KT, then magically it wakes up a bit back to normal. It’s like you’re stuck in mud if you cheat the liftoff, even if you hold it level. If you go through the obnoxious chop it performs totally differently. It’s saving grace is it’s slow landing speed avoids the pounding. I usually just plow through it and it will get off after about 4 bounces with less than full flap.

The Kodiak’s outright TP power that breaks right through the chop, slower STOL aircraft that get off before 60 naturally, the Goose, the Beaver, and the ICON(get that default view fixed and it’s really a neat flier off the beaten path) are great for seaplane action if you’re looking for solid float planes. I’m pretty love/hate about the NX, particularly that I have to stare the crap G3X in the game with it. I haven’t tried the Bird Dog yet nor the Tri-Motor or any of the mongo flying boats. But at least in the Beaver you can actually ‘anchor’ in place, kick the doors open, etc. Get the STOL Addicts beaver livery pack that does the West Coast Customs treatment to the interior and you may never look for another seaplane, it’s so bizarre and awesome at the same time. The Wilga is good too but non amphibian, it’s better for squashing down on that wonderful gear in people’s back yards.

I have water rudder and tail wheel lock bound to the same button on my TBV1 quad. I use the throttle quad even if I’m using the TB Flightstick. For slow water handling to a reaction out of the water rudder usually needs a respectable quick throttle bump, similar to kicking a castering tailwheel into the right direction-or like getting a little outboard boat to wake up and turn.