Calibrate Thrustmaster Throttles FBWA320

Hey folks, wondering in the stable release how to calibrate the TM throttles. I have them working perfectly in the dev build but Im having performance issues on longer flights and wanted to try the stable to see if that was the cause of the longer flight performance degradation.

You can’t do it on the Stable version. The throttle calibration feature isn’t implemented in the Stable version yet.

What kind of issues that you experience on longer flight? I’ve done longer flights very often on the dev version.

Ah ok, I kinda figured but worth a shot asking incase I missed it. So anytime to a decent flight 1.5 to 2 hours, I start descent. Right around 20k feet performance starts to seriously degrade. For example I used KORD to KJFK as an example. Dev version of the 320, by final I’m around 1fps. The CJ4 I’m around 20s. Then I switched to stable, and was also 20s on final. For some reason, the dev version really degrades for me. I actually noticed this first running KJFK to KORD and figured it was something to do with the sim itself. When I ran the return trip is when I noticed it worse. I’ve done alot of GA stuff with the TBM and Seneca and haven’t had any issues which what made me think it was related to just the 320. Very odd. Everything was ultra on my i7 10700k, 64gb ram, and the 3090.

I’m sorry, what does that the fact that you have everything turned up to Ultra causing you poor performance as you fly over NYC (which is pretty normal behavior for the sim, especially with the glass cockpit of the A320 (did you try reducing the gauge updating on glass option?), have to do with Calibrating your Thrustmaster throttles? Perhaps you just changed the subject of the thread?

The 10700 is a pretty nice processor, but I don’t believe that it’s really up to the task of running everything at Ultra, even with a 3090. A place like NYC means tons of data processing, which means you’re going to likely be CPU bound. If you’re looking for better performance around NYC, I’d suggest tuning your settings a bit. Many of them don’t need to be at Ultra. And given your issue is with the A320, definitely look at turning down the refresh rate on glass displays in the options.

If you thought that the process of calibrating your throttles improved your performance (???), if that’s the case, it’s most likely because the process of stopping and calibrating allowed your CPU to catch up.

Or maybe the process of calibrating emptied out some memory, again, allowing your CPU to catch up. Decent system, but not really an all Ultra capable system (I don’t know that there are any).

Sorry - the waters got a little muddied here. I mentioned I had a performance issue with the dev version, switched to the stable and was looking for throttle calibration. The person who replied asked about what kind of issues I was having so I went off topic to that. I get NYC is a non performant area, however 1fps is a little extreme considering all other AC including the stable 320 don’t have an issue. Anyway, not a big deal, stable version is fine Ill just have to play with the throttles a bit or post a question in the FBW discord in regards to longer flights performance.

1 Like

I’m not sure if this can help with your low FPS issue. But I found this topic and once I made the changes as suggested here. It solves all my stuttering and low FPS issue. I’m on 9900k, 32 GB, and RTX 2080 Ti. So my hardware specs are still below yours, and I can still run on stable 30 fps at 2160p on High-Ultra combination settings.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. So I’m giving this a go at the moment and its bizarre, the sim feels…smoother. I have no idea if this will fix the issues I was having with the dev version but I’m giving it a go to see. ORD to JFK, about an hour an a half remaining…

OK - A million times THANK YOU. First off - this improved the entire sim overall. Second, just had a buttery landing at JFK with no performance hit at all. Completely smooth experience. Frames are about 20 currently, but it feels ridiculously smooth for some reason. Whatever it is is def a 500% improvement from the complete slide show with occasional CTD previously.