"{Callsign} Line up and wait" text appearing in ATC menu

Please only post bugs that are new in this build, and tag your post with #pc and/or #xbox.

Are you on Xbox, Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Xbox

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
Non-developer mode

Brief description of the issue:
Whilst on hold at runway, I was given the instruction by ATC to ‘Line up and wait’. The audio and text contained the correct callsign. The ‘button’ displayed in the ATC window to acknowledge the instruction showed ‘{Callsign} Line Up and Wait’, instead of ‘Acknowledge Line up and Wait’.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

• Start a flight at a gate
  • File a flight plan, request clearance
  • Request a taxi IFR
  • Head to the runway, wait for an AI plane to be lining up, follow and hold at runway.
  • Request clearance

Very rarely get the line up and wait instruction. But as far as I can remember, that seems to be an okay response.

What happens when you press the button?

The response is fine.

The UI is bugged though, it should read ‘Acknowledge Line up and Wait’ to follow on with everything else.

The variable isn’t replaced by the callsing indeed.

1 Like

I got this “(callsign) line up and wait” last night at Heathrow. After responding to ATC I waited 15 minutes and ATC seem to completely forget about me. It also wasn’t clear where I was to line up as there was only me in the line (initially). I’ve only seen this since SU8 and the updates to departing live traffic.

How long are we realistically meant to wait? And dies this feature really work? And where are you meant to line up? At the hold point you are already lined up at? Closer to runway?

Also, there was no way to contact Tower again when they leave you waiting. I ended up just taking off at the first window I saw after. I may still have been there now if I hadn’t :rofl:.

When you are holding short of a runway, “line up and wait means” that you should line up on the centerline on the runway from the position you will start your takeoff roll - but not take off yet and wait for takeoff clearance. It is used to speed up operations, when there is no landing traffic behind you, but the runway is still blocked in front of you. The reason ATC has not given you take off clearance might be (guessed from your question) related to the fact, that you have not actually lined up.

I think the only think that is wrong with the respons is, that the call signed should be at the end.
LINE UP AND WAITH {CALLSIGN}

Compare here:

Right. Thanks for that. I was wondering what it meant never having encountered it before. Will try that next time. There was inbound at the time on same runway so do we know this ATC feature actually bit works in the sim? EGLL 27R was busy last night.

I think I was confused by the term “line” as in a line of traffic. Thanks for the link. I learn so much from this forum.

Well, with traffic on final, line up and wait becomes a little … eh … questionable.
They may have wanted to trick you into something.
If you only would have had one live left it would have been “GAME OVER”. (At least that is how computer games worked in the 80s of the last century). Since I have never encounter a BONUS ROUND in MSFS to get back more lives and you probably had not found the magic wound yet, it was probably the right choice to NOT follow the instruction :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m so used to ATC nagging me that when they don’t ask again for me to line up, how do I know I’m not lined up. OK inexperience on my part, but ATC seems to be random when they nag you to do something or not.

Learning this sim often involves learning when to not do what ATC tells you especially with changing FLs.

It did suspiciously feel like a real flight though waiting around forever to take off, while thinking I’d have probably just have been quicker taking the train😂

I would assume the contrary, which is they are very deterministic in the sim, because they just act as it has been programmed with not a lot of kognitive intelligence involved. While that is deterministic for the specific situation you are in, it might seem more like random accross different situations.

Agree. I’ll just aim to get on the runway next time and line up, now that I know.
Had another weird “line up situation” in SU8 when after getting T/O clearance at EGPF, I taxied onto the runway to find an live aircraft lined up there, completely stationary. “Lined up” too? Should I have waited around at the hold point for it to move or is this a new bug. I’m still trying to suss out the departing live traffic after SU8. It’s nice to see it but you have to deal with it (and ATC) too.

That’s a bug.

Are you using the ICAO phraseology mod from flightsim.to?

I leave multiplayer on and occasionally come across an aircraft “waiting” to take off. I’ve just assumed this is a player who has spawned on the end of the runway and ignored it (I hate it when folk do that but it is an option so who am I to criticise? Suppose it’s my own fault really :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:)

I have multi player off so it wasn’t that in my case. It was live traffic. It just wasn’t going anywhere. Just sat still on the runway numbers lined up and stationary despite my clearance.

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

No

When using an aircraft with its (in aircraft.cfg) predefined tailnumber only a variable for CALLSIGN is shown on the dialogue for “line up and wait”. On ATC however the tail number is correctly used.

1. Ensure no data was added on the ATC customization menu and traffic being on
  2. Load to a busy airport and taxi to an active runway behind some other aircraft
  3. Call tower for takeoff clearance

PC specs and peripheral set up:

Are you using DX11 or DX12?

Are you using DLSS?

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute to this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Are you using DLSS?

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

no

Which aircraft are you using that experiences this issue?

boeing 787

When using default atc I got told to line up and wait, although the text box showed as in screenshot normally it will read my call sign fine which is ANDY2790,
Flight plan kbos to kjfk

Screenshot 2024-02-15 180023

start an ifr flight at a busy airport, then wait for other traffic to taxi in front of you then ask for takeoff clearance

PC specs and peripheral set up:

na

dx11

Are you using DLSS?

yes

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute to this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Are you using DLSS?

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video: