Camera Controls - YIKES

Been working on the camera views and controls for several hours now. Still not how I want things, but I’m making progress. Really, really, really bad system.

5 Likes

Use custom camera and your experience will be very enjoyable. I’ve just posted detailed guide on how to configure it. Guide – How to configure Cockpit Views / Cameras using Custom Camera controller assignments

and let me know your feedback

Welcome! It’s a really complex system so I totally understand your frustration. It’s best to break it down in to the individual Views (Cockpit, Instrument, External, Drone / Showcase) and experiment with Control bindings for each (make sure to use the “All” filter and Search) to understand how each works.

A couple of tips that might help (or not!):

• Make sure your controller “Hat” is bound to the “Cockpit Look” commands and not the “Cockpit Quicview” ones.
  • You can actually access and change Control bindings while inside the live sim (use Esc to get to the main menus). This is helpful if you are trying to fine tune or debug things.
  • Adding an Xbox Game Controller (wired or wireless) makes controlling the Drone Cam and Slew really easy and intuitive! MSFS immediately recognizes it and sets up all the bindings by Default.

There are some good FAQs / Tutorials starting to show up

Let us know if there are particular areas that are causing you problems and we will try to help! Rick

1 Like

What camera are you talking about?
Cockpit and External? Or the Drone camera.

Guys, I’m 70 years old and have been flight simming for 30+ years using several different sims thru the years. I’m not as quick as I once was in guessing the programmer’s logic, but I’ll get there. I do appreciate the suggestions and tips. Thanks. However, that being said, I know poor programming and a bad user interface when I see one.

3 Likes

Bad ui maybe, but if you can grasp an aircraft and fly it in a sim, you can grasp mapping key combinations for the different views for your hatswitch, and not blame programmers that just released a groundbreaking piece of software. You can use a button as a modifier key, as long as you don’t bind it to any other function, then it works as a function key allowing you to map multiple view settings to your hat switch.

Great sim but dreadful user interface.
Trying to sort out the cameras is a nightmare.
Microsoft couldn’t have made it harder if they tried!
Will give it another couple of days then it’s back to XP11.

3 Likes

Really sorry for all the struggles here! I guess I came to the sim early back in Alpha with pretty open eyes, so after fumbling around for a while (well … maybe longer than a while), I found the Camera controls actually pretty straight forward to set up the way I wanted them. I’ve since spent a TON of time doing photo capture outside the planes using External and Drone Views and Skew controls. I know this is just my experience, but what was captured on the referenced videos and guides absolutely leads to a correct environment to set up camera controls. And honestly I’ve never experience anything like the Drone Cam. I really hope it comes together for all of you, but I also understand it’s a completely different control environment and some aspects are complex and totally without documentation.

I put “alt+0” to “alt+9” in the key board settings menu under the single buttons 0 to 9 off the numpad.

Simply call in the key board settings menu “ctrl+0” and replace “ctrl+0” with “alt+0” as first key board command and put num0 as second key board command and so on for all 10 key commands.
Delete all other unneccesary bindings on numpad 0 to 9.

Then i config al my personal views with “cntr+alt+0” , cntr+alt+1 and so on.

The personal views can then be recalled by pushing the single buttons zero to nine on the numpad.

This way it’s works for me the same as in X-Plane.

1 Like

I totally agree with you. Spot mode is the worst I have ever come across, just rubbish.