Can an existing airport be modified? Or does it have to be created from scratch?

Hello,

I’ve been researching for a couple days to find a way to add an additional instrument approach to an existing default airport.

It appears that the only way to do this is to create an airport from scratch. Is this true?

Topic moved into SDK for community assistance.

I’m doubt this addresses your question, exactly, but you can definitely modify existing airports as a basis for an airport project.

For example, I have used both the auto-gen KPRB and KOVE as a starting basis for improved airports where I’ve added buildings, lighting, fencing, correct beacon placement, correct windsock placement, added helicopter pad and parking spaces, fencing, animated flags, fuel storage tanks, and much more.

I have yet to redefine the taxiways and correct the parking spaces, but that is on my to do list.

I’m unsure if one can add procedures, however. I’d think all of that would be defined in the AIRAC cycle that you are using — either the sim’s default or Navigraph.

Perhaps someone with further know how can answer your question specifically.

1 Like

Now that I say that, of course, we have airports in the sim that are no longer active, so there has to be some mechanism for introducing procedures.

Thanks for the reply, I’ll play around a bit and see if I can learn more.

2 Likes

There already are some projects that elaborately improve existing Asobo or Microsoft airports like Amsterdam, Dubai or Cape Town.

So it’s definitely possible.

The simple answer is yes. If you use the project creation wizard within the SDK it will give you the choice of modifying an existing airport (ICAO) or creating one entirely from scratch (decimal degrees).

Some of the essentials won’t change unless you go in and change them, like the runway dimensions and orientation. But you can tweak other stuff.

How do you go about editing airports? I have a local private strip my flying club is proud of, and would like to see it better represented in game.

1 Like

The basic premise is you need to install the SDK, enable Developer Mode, create a project based on the airport you wish to modify and have at it.

A full tutorial is a bit beyond typing up and posting here.

While I generally like to read rather than view YouTube videos, in this case I would definitely recommend the latter. I did some simple searches when I got started and found some excellent tutorials. One thing to note is that older videos will not showcase the changes to the SDK that have occurred over the lifespan of the sim, so be mindful of variations in the interface and, possibly, technique. Try to find some current content.

1 Like

This will get you started. Its easier than you might think. The tutorial covers how to get first set up with the ‘SDK’ and dev mode and then some of the basic scenery editig actions available to you and then how to export it as a package (mod) you can drop into your community folder.

1 Like