Can FPS become an obsession and needlessly ruin your experience?

User: I’m getting no higher than 15fps all the time!!

Sensible person: What’s your graphics settings set to?

User: Ultra - why?

Sensible person: Have you thought about turning some of the settings down? Seeing as your low FPS is constant?

User: I shouldn’t have to. My PC is more than capable of running this on Ultra.

Sensible person: But aren’t you’re chasing a stable FPS? Shouldn’t that come 1st over graphic quality?

User:. I was running this software just fine before the last update. Why should i change my settings?

Sensible person: Because seeing as how we can’t do anything about the un-optimized software just now, we could just make a tiny compromise and run this sim without useless post-processing features such as motion blur?

User: NO, I want to run it on Ultra.

3 Likes

I’ve often thought, yes, to answer your topic title question. I often hear people speak about this fps or that but many times not say what they SEE on their screen, not say that this number produces this effect and I can’t tolerate it, or conversely, that number creates that experience and I am OK with that.

I mainly pay attention to the smoothness of the sim and base my experience and approval of it, on that, the actual flight experience, not an arbitrary floating and evolving number that can say I should be having a terrible time, when I am actually enjoying the trip.

I’m not talking about high altitude flying. Low altitude flying between 100 and 300kts.
If you keep the roll rate airliner like low ~15-30°/sec, 30fps is enough for a smooth experience.
At roll rates >90°/sec, jerkyness, especially at the edges of the monitor are immersion killers for me.

That’s why 60fps would be preferable in a flightsim for me, but expect in steam gauge aircraft I can’t achieve this. Not even close.

E.g. DCS and Aerofly also noticeable suffer at lower fps than 60.

YES, perfection is the enemy of the good. My experience is little if no difference whether the FPS is 22 or 48…although I am open for anything that I may be missing

1 Like

22 or 48, both seem to be the result of a framerate below the set target, which means the sim is most likely not running very smooth, hence there’s no significant difference.

Yes it can, and it definitely does.
People are needlessly unhappy because the FPS don’t meet their expectations which are artificially high because they’ve spent so much money on gear.

I for one, couldn’t care less. My CPU is a 4770 and my GC is a GT1070, and I couldn’t be happier.

Well actually I was disappointed that my FPS dropped by 0.5 to 2 FPS landing at EGLL, it was a game changer for me…

I see what you did there… :slightly_smiling_face:
No, wait… it’s a simulator
(no it’s a game, no, it’s a simulator, no…)

2 Likes

Reading through this thread clearly shows the general paranoia and obsession many have over FPS.

Personally I don’t track it. Sometimes it’s clear I’m not getting as many FPS’s as I’d like, other times it’s okay. The thing that surprises me is how much it can change session to session. Just completed two flight legs across Cuba - one yesterday, the second this evening. I reboot before each flight; start only the same apps (MSFS, OnAir, WMR … I fly in VR, Media player to listen to music in cruse). Yesterday was a bit jiggy (like I said, don’t track FPS but guessing it was high 20s), with stutters. Today was silky smooth from start up to shut down and not a single stutter in sight. I’m d@mned if I can figure out what was different.

So to answer the OP in the words of the song, ‘Don’t worry (about FPS), be happy!’

2 Likes

Reply deleted by poster.

Sorry, I read the thread title as:
Can MSFS become an obsession and needlessly ruin your experience?
:woman_shrugging:

1 Like

No, it cannot

I have an old high end machine. When I got the game in Sept I turned on dev mode to see I was getting 40fps…turned it off, didnt turn it back on until about a month ago or hell its been 6 weeks. You know why? Because the sim started running slow as S**t…I can play at 12-15 no problem unless of course you are not longer flying but just an actor in a stop motion video.

Alot of the people that are complaining have legitimate problems…I mean I read someone saying Im only getting 25 and its unplayable, that seems a little far fetched to me I play just fine at 25. But of course if they’re getting uncontrollable stutters, then yes that makes the game unplayable.

It actually goes above the set target for me. I have the target at 20fps with v-sync. But with a 144h monitor there is no 20fps target, it’s 18, 20.57 or 24. It goes all the way up to 35fps at altitude if I don’t limit it by GPU (with higher renderscale) Frame rate limit is broken since last update or the one before.

At renderscale 150 it’s reduced to 22 fps, which is more consistent with all the frequent landings and low flying I do. GPU limited makes it smooth :confused: I’m happy with 20 anyway, motion blur off, looks great.

It’s Good Friday today. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It is your monitors refresh rate that determines which target fps you get with V-sync in the game, if you set it to 30 it will target half your monitors refresh rate, if you set it to 20 you get a quarter of your monitors refresh rate, in your case 35 fps.

1 Like

Yes. The focus becomes FPS instead of flying. Look at and sim forums. 25 FPS is fine as long as it is smooth. If you use head tracking you’ll want 35 minimum.

A lot of the issue is that people confuse FPS with stutters, micro or macro. They aren’t related. I had good FPS in fsx but the microstutters drove me nuts. In msfs I had 25 FPS for a while with the crj and it was still as smooth as glass.

Obviously vr has its own challenges.

Msfs is the first sim where I only have the FPS counter on when recording video so I can see that I’m recording.

Wouldn’t it be a third, 48 fps? Not that it matters, I switched back to 150 render scale, better picture. The AA in this game isn’t very good, super sampling helps more than higher fps for a stable picture. Good thing this sim lets you customize it to your own preferences. (I have no idea how people can stand sharpen filters haha, but kinda needed at render scale 100)

I have never checked my FPS in MSFS and I never will. And I have never enjoyed flight simulation more.

2 Likes

I remember reading an article from the early days of flight simulation where Bruce Artwick said that with upcoming processors we would be able to get 15 fps. So, I guess he was chasing fps!
I have locked in at 30, and adjusted my settings to maintain that. After the patch I have been pretty steady. I run 3 monitors wide, but when I have tried one screen I cannot get 60 fps, so I am pretty happy right now with a stable 30.

1 Like

In VR, fluidity is key, not really frames per second. We currently have too much wobble in GPU usage and it’s hard to maintain smoothness with MSFS. It doesn’t bother me much on monitor, but in VR that’s another story …