Can I Get Rid of the Wide View / Fisheye External View?

Use the mouse wheel to change zoom level.

Yes have tried this already, You will note that when you zoom out, the buildings and sky look stretched (fisheye effect), when you zoom in to 1.0 (100%) like in FSX/P3D, the buildings and sky look normal, like they should be, but then you are way too close to the aircraft

If you recall with FSX/P3D, in spot view, you set the zoom level to 1.0, then back the camera out so you were a reasonable distance from the aircraft BUT the buildings and sky stayed as they were (at zoom 1.0) so were not stretched

5 Likes

The extreme wide angle view was the one thing that I never like from the early screenshots, and now that I have the sim, it turned out I still can’t get used to it.

Let me speak only about external views. Of course from a viewpoint inside the cockpit it’s optically correct, if you can only zoom and not move your position. I watched several cockpit videos and they all have either a narrow tunnel vision or this wide angle distortion.

But externally you could also move the viewpoint back, and would maintain a non-skewed image. Unfortunately this is not enabled in the standard external view and only possible with the drone camera.

My question is, would it be hard to enable this functionality in the external view which is already in the (unfortunately very awkward) drone view?

This is not only a stylistic issue, I also think it ruins panoramas. The effect is particulary apparent when you stand close to extremely tall mountains.

Take the Teide in Tenerife for example. Everyone who visited this island will know that the first impression is this gigantic volcano rising 3,800m from sea level:

I made two screenshots, one maximally zoomed out and with as little zoom as I can afford before the airplane blocks the view.

When I zoom out I would be almost unable to locate this giant mountain any more. The topography gets spherically distorted to such a degree that everything becomes flat.

Here is the view closer to what it should be imo:

I would really like this to be adressed by either the devs or a mod, because it seems a simple change and could really improve the image.

I also know there are lot of settings in the camera files so does anyone know a simply trick that I could do myself?

22 Likes

I agree!!!

I did not see that thread, thanks for chiming in. It always helps to know you are not alone in the world :slight_smile:

It appears to me it would be a simple solution too. All we need is a small change that allows to move the camera backwards (it is already possible with A S like in the drone camera).

Some people also reported annoyance with camera restrictions within the cockpit. So maybe the issue of camera limits is something that should be laid open in the camera files, so the community can try to fix it to their taste?

1 Like

@ChrisMorgan825

FOV is mathematically a result of using zoom. So in that regard it is realistic. The problem is only that we cannot move the position, only zoom,

In videos like this you see that a panorama view results in a great FOV that is optically correct.

The problem is I dont want to zoom. I want to move the eyeposition away from the plane instead.

1 Like

Precisely
Its the eyepoint that needs to be moved back in the external view, something which you could adjust in P3D/FSX. I havnt looked at the cameras cfg file yet to see whether you can make adjustments there.

I’m still working out how I can assign the 2 passenger views in showcase view to a button on my HOTAS. All the other (near useless, IMHO, except perhaps view 1) views are listed 1 to 11, but not 12 and 13 (Not at my sim PC atm) so there must be a way to sub the 2 “porthole” views to another number tat does accept a button assignment

Any ideas on this? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You could do some tweaks in the UserCfg.opt file.

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

0 is off 1 on

{PostProcess
Enabled 0
EyeAdaptation 1
ColorGrading 1
Sharpen 0
Fringe 0
LensDistortion 0
Dirt 0
LensFlare 0
FilmGrain 0
Vignette 0
LensBlurMultiplier 1.000000
FringeMultiplier 1.000000
}

In the TBM 930 you can simply move the camera back with ALT-ARROWDOWN and ARROWUP, then press CTRL + ALT + 1-9 to save the view (not on the numpad though) and ALT + 1-9 to jump to that view.

You can then map this view to a hotas button, or a direction button if you want.

I mapped several views this way and it works really great. But passenger views do not work with many planes, because there is a hard limit in the cockpit.

Great example!

Just like everyone else - can’t believe the ability to move the ‘eye position’ in the external view isn’t there 
 spent ages looking for it in the camera control options - it’s been available in MS Flight Simulator since at least FS98 (if I remember correctly) as well as the 'other major flight simulator that I dare not mention by name :wink:

Thanks ChrisMorgan for the link to the thread for voting.

2 Likes

Hehe, no worries, Don’t forget to tell your friends! LoL.

I just wished I had a better understanding of the camera views cfg files, Ive only sussed out the XYZ thingy, but the GUID is something I havnt grasped yet

I was only really looking at the A320 atm

The GUID is something you can leave alone

It is just a globally unique identifier that is generated based on your MAC adress, the system time and a clever algorithm. Basically an incredibly big number that should never repeat anywhere in the world.

Okies, Thx for that. well Im gonna backup the A320 Canera.cfg file and keep messing with it, until I can work out how to substitite one of those useless 2 to 11 views for the passenger views. I have found the 2 entries for them, they are called porthole views

@WatchfulLand959

Thanks I tried your settings, but the Lens Distortion=0 is the same that can be done from the UI. And all other options just deteriorate image quality.

Just to add to this, I learned from another thread about this, it’s the lack of “Eyepoint” adjustment in external view which we did have in FSX/P3D

1 Like

Right now this issue is a game killer for me , this sim is so beautiful for vfr but those external distorted views are disappointing , but I know this is just the beginning of this sim , I have high hopes a mod or some kind or cfg setting will fix it .:+1:

Is that in flight simulator.cfg?

Not sure, I havent looked, but I would have thought it would be in the respective camera cfg file for each aircraft, but I’m only a noob with this

I mean when you’re in wide angle you’ll always have distorsion, whether fisheye or rectilinear.

But you can use the drone cam, put it further away and zoom in, and you’re not in wide angle anymore.

If I remember well and I may be wrong, as not having tried it recently, but it could be that the same kind of shortcuts we find in FSX are allowed in Flight Simulator
Before clicking on reply, I’ve made the testing : there’s at least ALT + Arrows Keys which would help a bit :slightly_smiling_face: