Can i Glide Slope and land a Grand Caravan automatically without pushing APPR button?

Was flying from SLCC Copacabana Bolivia to SLLP La oaz Bolivia with Textron Aviation Cessna 208B Grand Caravan EX.
After activated the Approach to land it at destination, as the plane entered the final landing pattern, hit and activated LOC from GPS, usualky i would push APPR button to follow the GS landing sequence.
The APPR button was ON but on screen i saw ROL instead of LOC and no GS popping ready to be activated.
Turned off the APPR button the LOC was resumed and the GS pipped on in white and at the right moment was caught by the system and the plane landed.

My question:
Can the Cessna Grand Caravan cach the GS and follow the landing without APPR button be pushed?
And could other Garmin (from G1000 to G3000) screen provided planes like Diamond DA62, Cessna Citation Longitude, Beechcraft King Air, etc do the same or…?

Thanks in advance for answers

Since there are several approaches into SLLP, could you specify which one you were trying to use? I’d like to recreate the landing and see if I can find the issue.
Regards

ILS 10V trans Elamu

1 Like

Hi @GoldPlate295836
I flew the approach you used, and there are a couple things I want to clarify about what is normally done for the approach versus what I think you did.
Here’s the actions I did (and normally do for these type of approaches) with some screenshots:
As I was headed toward ELAMU (IAP) you should get direction to expect the ILS 10V approach, and go to ELAMLU. I made sure the ILS 10 V/ELAMU approach was selected in the MFD and activated before I got to ELAMU. Even if the in-sim ATC doesn’t tell you to fly the approach before you get to the IAP, make sure you’ve activated it in the MFD or you’ll circle back around to the IAP when you activate it.

Once you pass ELAMU, it will fly the approach with GPS showing on the PFD:

You’ll continue to get directions to descend to various altitudes, and you’ll continue to fly in NAV mode with GPS showing.

Before you get to the turn to final, press the APR button. Note that “LOC” and “GS” are now show in white, meaning they’re armed and will activate automatically when the localizer and glideslope signals are received. Do NOT select “LOC” or anything else. You are now set up for the system to automatically activate the localizer and GS.

Once the plane has turned on final toward the FAF, the system will automatically pick up the localizer signal, and the CDI will automatically change to the LOC mode and start guiding on that. Note that LOC is green (active) and GS is still white (armed), but the GS diamond has started to move downward.

As you fly along, the GS diamond will center, and the system will activate the “GS” mode, and automatically start the descent toward the runway.

It should follow the LOC and GS down to the decision height, and then you should take manual control and land the plane. I think the major error was when you pushed the LOC. You should never have to manually change from NAV (GPS in this case) to LOC mode. You can press the APR button earlier than you are apparently doing it, since all pushing it will do is ARM those modes, not switch to them.
Hopefully this will help getting the approach to work correctly for you. If you still have issues, let me know and we’ll work through it.
Regards

To answer the question you asked at the bottom of your OP. My best estimate to answer what I think you’re asking is:

can you “Manually” fly an ILS approach with the LOC activated, the answer is basically yes if you’ve request an ILS approach. Once you’ve got the localizer locked by the system, you can manually fly the vertical portion of the ILS approach if you want (you’re probably going to have to use the vertical speed button since you may disengage the AP if you try and descend manually). There’s nothing preventing you from doing that, per se, just as you can hand-fly a full ILS approach (with some higher-level ILS approaches exempted).

Keep in mind that if you filed or requested a LOC-only approach, you can’t use the ILS signal to violate minimums and visibility requirements specified for a LOC-only approach.
Basically comes down to the legal requirements for the type of approach you either filed for or requested enroute.

1 Like