Can’t get spitfire off the ground after last update?

All it does is turn left and bank right. Before the update I managed to get it down, practiced touch and goes in the desert, but since yesterday it’s been a disaster. Autorudder assist is turned off, always has been.

I flew the Mach Loop yesterday without any issues, after the update.
Perhaps try uninstalling then reinstalling?
Also try firing up MSFS through to Spitfire loaded, then shut MSFS down. Then fire up again, say 3 cycles. Yesterday it took me 3 cycles of doing that to get the Bredok3 737 ‘right’. Cockpit was playing up until 3rd reload.
Asobo G58 took 2 cycles to get dash instruments ‘normal’.
Have any other of your aircraft shown different behaviors after the update?
TG

My problem is different. Everytime I load it up it tips forward and with the tail wheel off the ground it refuses to move.

I slewed up to 5000 and landed at an airport at 1500. All went well. Normal landing. One bounce only :wink: But as soon as I was down to taxiing speed the nose tipped forward again.

parking break on?

don’t think so, but not impossible. … :slight_smile:

Check C of g, apparently after update it can go off occasionally, leading to nose over.

You lost me at “C of g”

Center of gravity. There’s some new sliders buried in the fuel and weight to artificially move it around? I don’t get it. Just seems like more things to break

Do you have the Modern flight model selected in the options?

Hello

I just bought the plane, and I was not able to strat it up, even with CTRL-E. Engine begin to start and then stop.

Anyone with the problem?

Had this one. Engine would cough, splutter, run for 3 seconds, expire.
Cockpit view.
Move view around so you can see under the elevator trim wheel on the left hand side of cockpit.
There are 3 switches.
you need the one furthest to the front to be ‘On’
It is the fuel pump.
Get mouse pointer at base of the switch & left click. Switch should snap back towards rudder. (It’s fiddly to get in their & you need to get as low as possible or pointer will catch the rudder trim wheel)
I also do same for other 2 switches.
1 is radiator cowling & I forget the middle one.
TG

1 Like

Thanks a lot, very hard to got it this one.

I found that if I pressed & held then released the mouse ‘roll wheel’ it gave me a ‘floating’ view in the cockpit that let me move the ‘view’ down lower & then I clicked the wheel again which locked the view down low, then I used keyboard mouse arrows to shuffle view a bit more to zoom in on the switches. (Get under the trim wheel)
Yes, a PITA to get to, but essential its ‘on’
Yet oddly ,(I will check this), I have had ‘hot starts’ where, I think, the Fuel switch is off & stayed off in the flight. But I always turn it on now as part of the prep. to depart routine.
TG

There’s a big knob/handle called wobble pump? that’s essentially a manual fuel pump to start the engine.

I just mapped the switch to a button on my joystick, easier than moving the view around, to get to it.

The switch is the Fuel Boost pump and you should not need it to start the aircraft, but you should switch it on before take off , by the manual.

Copy / paste from a comment found on Youtube on this take-off issue.

“For take-off, you must not put the” flaps "it is almost airbrakes of the lower surface on this plane for the landing they go out at almost 90deg. For me, the behavior on the ground is normal because on the spit the landing gear is very close it was recognized at the time, on an old check list I had read that it was necessary to make a rudder trim adjustment very specific to take off. "

Since I couldn’t get it off the ground without leaving in bulk, I took it off by the AI. I could see that it was turning the pitch compensator to the full (I play in VR, it is easier to see it)

Did your ever resolve this or are we just rubbish pilots? Have the same issue… can get it off the ground but nowhere near straight down the runway.

Landings and flying are OK really.

Thanks.

Steve

I’m having the same problem since the update. Sometimes even with full right rudder it’s not enough to stop it looping around. I’m pretty sure if the real Spitfire was this difficult the Battle of Britain (flown by many inexperienced guys just out of flying school) would have turned out very differently.

Edit: found this other thread (New Release : FlyingIron Simulations Spitfire L.F Mk IXc - #294 by Severeeno), and maybe the crosswinds are too strong. I will try to notice this next time. I often take off from Manston and there’s a frequent crosswind on runway 10/28 so maybe time to go unearth the old grass-strip!

Even a medium crosswind of 8 to 10 knots will cause it. You have to trim the rudder max right so you do not run out of rudder but this will not stop the crazy instability and the only way is to use ailerons and rudder at the same time and pray you can keep it from wing strike. This is really MSFS fault actually… but Spitfire has it worst maybe because of the close distance between landing gears. I saw this effect even in CRJ… it is MSFS thing.

Without crosswind, taking off and landing are really easy. And even with a crosswind I can still somehow take off but it just looks and feels so wonky and unrealistic. Now I fly the spitfire only in specific conditions, I often have to turn live weather off to fly this thing, Really shame. Previous version felt better.

1 Like