Can we have an official statement about the future of VR Support?

There are plenty of other threads discussing what is great and what is not so great about MSFS’ VR implementation. I think most who have tried it could at least agree that it shows amazing potential. But as someone who purchased this sim on the promise of VR support, I have to say that the last several months have for me been a rocky ride.

I wish I could say that the current state of VR has progressed beyond where it was upon introduction, but in my opinion not only has it not progressed, but it has in some ways regressed. It seems like with each update we take one step forward and two steps backward. Some things will improve, only to see other things break. And all too often it seems like the things that break just pile up at the rear of a backlog somewhere and never seem to get fixed.

All of the items on the VR roadmap are in a perpetual state of “TBD”. Yes, it’s great to see a portion of the roadmap dedicated to VR, but what good is it if the items never get scheduled? And again, what about all of the other regressions that have occurred which are not even captured on the roadmap?

@Jummivana ,

I appreciate all that you do here to support the community. It must at times seem like a thankless job, I’m sure. So please know that I am not trying to make your life more difficult. I know that in recent posts you have alluded to future VR work, the backlog getting attention, etc., but is there any way that you can get us a detailed, honest official statement about the future of VR in MSFS? When can we actually expect some traction on the existing issues? Or is VR simply such a low priority for MSFS that we should not expect it to get any attention in the foreseeable future?

At this point I would love to hear that VR will become a priority with dedicated resources, etc., but I would almost be as happy to officially hear that this will not be the case any time soon. At least knowing that I could move forward with what we have now and take it for what it is, rather than constantly waiting for the next update to include fixes which never seem to materialize.

Thanks!

9 Likes

Posted in another thread:

3 Likes

I did actually see that, but unfortunately I’ve seen similar comments before that never seem to bear much fruit. I would like to hear a little bit more than that. Maybe that’s a placeholder comment that will lead to a more meaningful communication on the matter. At this point we can literally only hope.

1 Like

Still have the statements from 2020 fresh in my mind “Migrating birds will be a part of the sim” “rush hour traffic on highways in large cities true to time of day” and many other alluring statements. But here more than a year after those statements there isn’t even night lighting in the cities unless you render at 100…

Seems to me like migrating birds and traffic jams is but a distant dream (and should stay that along with pvp air racing and Tom Cruise mugs for the masses). ​

Don’t get me wrong but it seems like ASOBO might be a bit over worked atm… but maybe they again are subject pressure by contract from higher up?? I for one can’t honestly see simple and expected functions like VR controller integration coming anytime soon.

Truth be told if we see controller / glove functionality, desktop to VR/toolbar and a more credible night sky coming within the next 8-12 months I would be surprised (and very happy).

I as well as so many others see a lot of potential in the sim. And that is the sole reason why I stick with it, invest in developments from 3rd party creators and don’t revert back to previous sims… But I agree with JWales … Would be very nice to get some indication about where we stand, though it is likely somewhere far down the list.

2 Likes

I was just posting some links about night lighting issues and I came across this one posted since Feb. 2021

Still hoping as well since Feb. 2021.

PS: @Jummivana @Pieter1982NL
I’m certain I won’t be only speaking for myself in saying that we do all appreciate your efforts, sincerely, and we do all appreciate Asobo’s efforts as well. And I’m not saying this for the sake of it either… you already know what I think of their partner’s slander on the other hand.

6 Likes

Vr was promised its own dedicated vr team, maybe 2-3 months ago.

Well, I guess I jumped the gun on this topic given yesterday’s dev update!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.