Can we have hot air balloons?

Hello, my name is Jon and I am an ex balloonist and I’ve always wanted to have a flyable hot air balloon in MSFS2020, especially with the new real world weather it would create a great platform for other balloonists.

Not to mention the scenery…

Just imagine it, you takeoff from an airport or airfield, you climb higher and you use different altitudes to essentially steer the Balloon and you fly over your favourite part of the world whether it’s over Rome, the alps (yes its possible) over Bristol (the home of hot air balloons) or even your own house and in a way its VFR as you know where your going through landmarks and reading maps

Now believe it or not there are more than 100k balloonists worldwide. And I’ve asked a few that I have flown with and they all agree that a balloon simulator would be an amazing thing to play. I know I’m just one person to you but trust me, if you bring other aircraft such as balloons it will open the door to another demographic of people who would purchase the Sim just to fly a balloon over their favourite places (weather permitting haha) yet again they Can turn off live weather but where’s the fun in that.

Please respond to this as I feel very passionate about it and believe it would work.

Not to mention… You would be the first ever aircraft sim to put a realistic flyable hot air balloon in a sim.

Something like this maybe? :wink:

I’m a current balloonist (also named Jon), airship and fixed-wing pilot, and I echo these sentiments. Although gliders and helicopters are obviously a much higher priority for the general fanbase, it would be incredible to have the ability to develop flight models that allow buoyant aircraft such as airships and balloons to be operated realistically. FSX had some half-decent third-party blimps/airships where the flight models were “faked” into somewhat realistic operation. I can’t wait to have flyable buoyant aircraft in the new platform someday. Please, please help make this possible!

1 Like

It would be nice and beautiful to add Hot Air Balloons :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know not what you are referring to, but there is a balloon “Easter Egg” over a certain office building in Bordeaux, France.

4 Likes

I’m adding balloons on Chambley - LFJY, a famous french place well known for ballooning. I will add more (existing ones) in a near future.

1 Like

With this level of scenery, hot air balloons and airships would be a super add on and diversion.

1 Like

I too would love to see some hot air balloons in sim. Balloons that actually behave like balloons and not planes. Would be awesome! I’m working on a rural grass strip airport in central Illinois at the moment. A hot air balloon would be perfect for it.

1 Like

Yes! Would be awesome to have a true to life Balloon flight model… and multiplayer too - think of all the liveries we could share and see each other. Annual Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque, New Mexico!

But the challenge of flying a hot air balloon with winds and the simulated atmosphere of MSFS along with the top notch VFR scenery would be a perfect fit!

2 Likes

As an avid tactile and motion based simulator builder, I would love to have the ability to create a complete, 360 degree, elevated simulator experience complete with basket, burner control, gauges, and all the doodads. The only thing missing is the simulator. Well, the balloon part that is.

It would be even better than a helicopter to go on a vista tour or so.Could even become a new game mode
In multiplayer I think hot air balloons could adorn the sky & even be good for a giggle with flying pig or so

why not just do a simple Google search …

https://www.google.com/search?q=msfs+balloons

Have as many as you want flying around you !!

Were you aware of the HPG Hot Air Balloon add-on when you posted this?

Guys, this thread was automatically bumped by the forum. The last entry was from June 2021, over a year before HPG released their balloon. :wink:

2 Likes

OK, so the response now, a year later is “YES-- you got what you wanted – and here are some examples”.

Conclusion: Asobo & Devs do listen, and then acts on some of the Community’s “Wishes” :+1: