Cannot get into VR after awhile. "The initialization og VR failed"

Been having the same OpenXR error since its’ last update.
I filed a Zendesk ticket, #128555
OpenXR Bug v108.2109.21002 Can only enter VR once, then “Failed to Initialize VR” Error
Using the Developer Preview of the latest OpenXR people are only able to enter VR once. If you leave VR and try to enter again, you get the above error message.
This only started with the latest update to OpenXR.

2021-10-18 Update: Reply from Zendesk, bug is being logged/more info requested. As of today trying to use OpenXR Dev Preview per Zendesk, now MSFS CTD when even trying to exit VR. Not using DevPreview is only an option if wanting to use the sim with the older version, OpenXR is still broken.

Just disable preview, or uninstall developer’s tools in the mean time. Since it’s preview, hence not released version of OpenXR, Asobo won’t do anything.

Hi all. I have the same problem since the latest open Xr update. Disabling the the preview mode resolves the problem but the runtime reverts to “107.2109. Does this affect performance? I have run a few tests but I can’t really tell.

so i am also in the club, once i am in VR and then go out, i cannot go back again. Do you know what are the implications of disabling the preview mode? thanks for your feedback :slight_smile:

it does work disabling the preview mode in OpenXR!

Not anymore it doesn’t.
I’m getting the error again, after installing SU7. Not everytime though. If I can get a flight in, before the throttle jams…mouse jams…CTD…. The error will pop up, the next time I try to go into VR

OpenXR preview is disabled.

Regards
Steve

I second that, in previous OpenXR version, at least I could get in and out of VR without issues if I’ve loaded VR during flight loading screen. After the latest update, I still have to load VR before the flight in order for it to work, but getting in and out during flight is a hit or miss, if I couldn’t get back into VR after I went to pancake mode, then I wouldn’t be able to VR until I restart MSFS. THB I am not sure whether SU7 has anything to do with it, but new OpenXR definitely is causing this.

I checked the log file, when VR failed to initialize, I get the following error in the log:

Fault bucket 1746949849123067470, type 5
Event Name: D3DDRED2
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: VEN_1002
P2: 30.0.13037.1003
P3: 0x887A0006
P4: 7
P5: FlightSimulator.exe
P6: 1.21.13.0
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER7056.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER7066.tmp.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER7065.tmp.csv
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER7095.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\NonCritical_VEN_1002_2d2ad45a809797ef8adafed44f412391f14579_00000000_8235ccaf-9b0a-47be-b4f9-b4bccf793d42

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 8235ccaf-9b0a-47be-b4f9-b4bccf793d42
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 1b13a771b313cdb7583e69a1cd67164e
Cab Guid: 0

Thanks. It doesn’t mean a great deal to me though.
The “failed to initialise VR’error has just popped up again here. You’ll notice you can only press OK if you’re on the menu page, otherwise the cursor doesn’t appear.
I have now “enabled OpenXR preview” (well, it’s worth a try LOL)
Now back into the sim and see what happens

Update: nope… it didn’t help. Same error appeared after switching to 2D.
What was worse that time though… my view went erratic just after I had landed. Its to do with the fact that freelook is working when you’re in VR. This didn’t happen before the update and it shouldn’t happen. Its great in 2D but not in VR

Regards
Steve

1 Like

Oh, I almost forgot, in the mean time, you can use SteamVR as the middleman, install Steam and SteamVR, set OpenXR Runtime to SteamVR. Although it robs about 1/3 of the FPS from the sim, but at least it works.

That’s worth knowing, thanks.
Can’t say I’m a huge fan of Steam though, but I might have to try that if a fix doesn’t arrive soon :+1:

Regards
Steve

This afternoon I decided to uninstall and reinstall the sim! (again) in the slight hope it might fix the “initialisation of VR” error.

It’s all installed and I have just launched it. While still in on the main menu screen, I activated and deactivated VR…a few times. All working!
Started a flight…and while sat in the aircraft, I pressed the VR button… nothing! Tried a few times but got nothing. No error, nothing.
I switched to external view…and tried again. It worked! Tried this a few more times and it worked in external view, but not internal.
Maybe I did it too many times…. I got the initialisation error! Aargh!

Regards
Steve

I have just put in a report to Zendesk. I suggest we all do the same.

Update:

I may have sorted it!
After more uninstalling of OpenXR I enabled custom rendering (again) but this time at just 50. I enabled motion reprojection too. Never liked it in the past but it was worth a try.
I also reduced the rendering in MSFS to minimum, both in vr and pc.
The sim looked awful LOL, but I couldn’t make it crash or bring up the error.
I have since moved the sliders back up to reasonable levels (in the sim and OpenXR) and it’s still working fine, despite me trying to crash it.
What I didn’t change was motion reprojection. Leaving that to “always on” seems to have done it? It certainly seems like that to me anyway.
If it doesn’t fix yours, then try reducing the rendering too.

One bug though… whenever I go back into VR, I end up facing at 90 degrees (looking out of the window) it’s just a case of me hitting the VR reset button, so I can live with that for the time being.

It’s 1.22am here now, so I’m going to bed!

Regards
Steve

I had success when doing something similar with the open XR developer tool.I changed it to 200 render scale and in game render to 50 .Did not like those setting after changing them back I noticed I was okay to switch in and out of VR.I changed them back to 100 in game and open xr developer 100,thats just my preferance do not think it will make any difference,just put in what you had previously.This trick may or may not work.Good luck.

I should also mention I swithched previev mode to on.
Also prior to doing these changes I had uninstalled wmr dev tool .Then reinstalled after resstarting computer.

1 Like

Thanks for the hint, I’ve enabled preview and motion reprojection, the issue went away! I am on a 6900XT, so I don’t get constant 45fps, that means lots of smudging on screen especially in the cockpit, but I guess it’s better than nothing.

1 Like

I have the same card as you Macbrush.I do not bother with motion reprojection and it still works fine.