Cannot hear ATC instructions and other aircraft suddenly while AI copilot still responds

This is not an AI Copilot problem for me as suggested by the title of this topic. It is an intermittent problem when I am not using AI to manage radio comms and I am manually selecting items in the ATC dropdown panel such as frequencies and requests or just activating items by using the keyboard number keys. My AI Control Manage Radio Comms is always set to OFF and I definitely have this intermittent problem of not hearing the ATC voices and not seeing their messages in the ATC log.

Again, I always have AI Control for ATC set OFF, and sometimes I lose both the sound and text in the log, and my ATC log becomes from that point on a series of “You:” messages only and no ATC messages as others are saying here. Other times I can hear and see ATC messages with no problem.

After I land and contact ground control on COM2 while leaving the tower on COM1, I can hear ground control but I do not get the normal tower chatter. When I am not having this issue, I hear overlapping ATC tower and ground chatter as expected when both COM1 and COM2 are tuned to tower and ground at the same airport.

4 Likes

I’ve not encountered it manually at all yet (on PC) fingers crossed. Of course a reboot of FS this morning and ATC sounds fine again. ATC quirks can be annoying enough to deal with without this loss of sound going on.

I’m getting this more and more since SU6. Before SU6 it would happen rarely, long into a flight or when going to a secondary destination without exiting back to the menu first.

Now it happens already after loading a flight

It tends to just stay there but I figured out that when you switch to ATIS (no sound, no text) and then back to clearance, at least the co-pilot starts talking more.

Without this ‘work around’ to activate the co-pilot (on ATC duties) I had to watch the ATC window for any options to pop up, like switch to new frequence or acknowledge to find out what ATC was supposed to say.

I filed another report with Zendesk, long standing bug, getting worse.

3 Likes

I’m having this problem with all aircraft but on the 787, 747, and A320 it’s right from the very start. Once the AI makes a request for flight clearance (or if I do it manually) I get no text or audio response.

1 Like

I’ve seen the issue with both, assisted and manual ATC. Manual gets harder as you will stop hearing the ATC comms and when you open the ATC box you will notice that your IFR has been cancelled due to lack of response if you were not lucky enough to hit the acknowledge option and get the actual instruction from the readback.

So you still get the text then? Because the more common problem for me is no sound or text, but only readback from AI ATC. Which I don’t see (yet) on manual ATC.

1 Like

No inbound text or audio at all, only readbacks from either the copilot when using the auto ATC or the manual one but basically you will acknowledge a blind instruction,

Some stuff that will always be missing on the readback: the QnH, approach clearances, distance and direction for traffic alerts, radar contact responses and communications from all other aifcraft in the frequency

4 Likes

I’ve not seen this yet I hope I don’t. It certainly needs a fix and soon.

I have been seeing this more frequent.

In another post, me and others say if you switch to COM2 in ATC windows it starts working again.

As you see, I am using Flight Assistant AI Radio Communications and AI switches COM2 to the current frequency and, after a few communications, I see ATC again.

ATC2

3 Likes

I am getting exactly the same issue. Only in the last sectors of the flight as well. Even in the dialogue ATC screen I can only see my responses.

1 Like

Yes, I get this regularly. If I turn off ATC audio in the accessibility settings then the text comes back, but I can’t hear anything of course.
It started before take off this last time.
Changing to offline from azure doesn’t make any difference.

Well I made a ticket about it because its getting on my nerves now: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/133092

1 Like

I turned off AI traffic and I don’t have this problem any more. See if that helps.

AI or Live or both? I have had AI traffic off since not long after XBox release and I still get ATC dropping. I do have live traffic on.

I turned live off.

1 Like

Interesting if it proves to be the cause. Anything that helps debug this. I need live traffic on though it’s too quiet out there without it.

Same here. I know that doesn’t help anyone but do these posts actually get back to the developers somehow? I would think with the hundreds of posts from people with the same issues that there might be someone at Asobo looking into it. I hope anyway.

Yup same here, but only after I let AI copilot run the comms. Never had this issue when doing it all myself. So I think it has something to do with the AI copilot nerd.

Tried this…i think you were just lucky

Same here. Cuts out about an hour into flight. Very annoying