Cannot hear ATC instructions and other aircraft suddenly while AI copilot still responds

Yes I’m sure I am not the only one who when doing a long flight wants to leave ATC handovers to co-pilot. I don’t know how to get it escalated. Zendesk? I haven’t reported it there. I didn’t even hear back from the last ticket I submitted though. If it’s not latest update patch/firefighting many bugs seem pushed out to the sometime/never horizon. We can but hope for SU8 fixes it, but would be good to know though as I haven’t seen it on the official bug list either. There are two mentions of ATC in top 25 bugs but neither relate to audio dropping (which in my mind is way more concerning than say ‘ATC incorrect phraseology’ at #8 on the list. The bottom of the top 25 bug list seems to need 334 votes to get there. This thread has 118, and there lies the issue. Some of these voted issues are likely months old, have been around longer and because they are slow to clear they are endlessly stuck on that list. It’s a real problem.

3 Likes

Me too, very frustrating and hardly realistic.

1 Like

What’s the sense in offering ATC when you can’t hear them? And when you can hear them, there is no realism in what they say. “Please expedite your climb/descent.” “Traffic 1 o’clock report them in site.” By the time they issue a traffic alert the suspect aircraft has already passed. What do you need an IFR flight plan for? Climb and maintain 7000, climb and maintain 8000, climb and maintain FL220, climb and maintain FL300, climb and maintain FL340. All while the engines are saying “you’re killing me.” The scenery is pretty though.

1 Like

It’s few days (after SU7) that I also lost the ATC voice. I can’t hear the tower and myself. I still see the text though. No Azure connection loss message, no low bandwidth warnings, nothing. Simply no more communication voices. I fiddled a bit with Win 10 audio settings without success. But it makes sense, since all the other sounds (engine etc) work fine.

1 Like

And also there is this mess with offline ATC!

1 Like

1.21.18 here. I still loose AI ATC as well. It is one sided, my AI COPILOT replies, but there is no ATC either in the ATC window nor can it be heard.

All starts out OK, but at some point, I loose ATC.

Flight with PMDG DC-6 (bought from their website). It is updated to the latest (V 2.00.0023). I am using the GNS 430. The GNS 430 was not modded.

I used the built-in flight planner to create a low altitude IFR flight from FS Dreamteam KEYW to LVFR KFLL at 12000 feet.

ATC eventually assigned ILS 10L via HOLID, cleared to HOLID.

NOTE: While I can choose HOLID for ILS 10L in the GNS 430, it does NOT show up in the GNS 430 Approach list of waypoints, GNS 430 flight plan, nor in the VFR MAP.

ATC then asked me to descend to 5000 ft. At some point during the descent, I could no longer hear ATC, but my co-pilot responded to ATC.

here we go again…

Hi. I confirm every word by yours. This is a bug related to the sim core and I experience it very often on several aircraft, especially A320 Neo, starting with SU6. I opened a ticket on Zendesk hopefully Asobo will consider it.
Now, I’m obliged to use other stabdalone ATC programs (like Pilot2ATC or PF3) to complete an IFR flight.
Incredible!

3 Likes

Wish they would do something about this. Maybe they should use a 3rd party atc if this one will continue to screw up.

To be clear, AI copilot does not need to be involved for this to happen. I always have all my AI options set OFF and I cannot hear ATC instructions and other aircraft suddenly when I am manually interacting with ATC.

Please change the title of this thread from:

Cannot hear ATC instructions and other aircraft suddenly while AI copilot still responds

to:

Cannot hear ATC instructions and other aircraft suddenly

Thank you.

1 Like

Not disputing what you are personally experiencing, but you may be in a minority though. I have flown many hours with manual ATC and not had issues with ATC audio dropping. In fact I deliberately now use manual ATC all the time specifically to avoid encountering this bug. The only time I did encounter something similar in manual ATC mode was once when I hit the ‘1’ key 3 times in very quick succession - to accept handoff, tune radio and contact new center (before the handoff audio had actually completed), which immediately prompted a loss of online ATC voices. Just about every time I fly with AI doing the ATC the audio is almost guaranteed to drop especially if flying in areas where there is other AI/live traffic around communicating with ATC. Every time I use manual ATC it is fine for me. I think from other peoples reports this is what they are seeing too which is why the title of the thread is likely the way it is.

I had ATC drop out using manual mode too. The only surefire way to prevent the dropout is to use OFFLINE mode for ATC.

1 Like

Which backs up what we all suspect, that it’s an online/Azure related bug, but AI ATC makes it happen way more frequently for people.
If I was to tell the devs the best way to replicate the bug I certainly wouldn’t be telling them to use manual ATC. One flight with Copilot ATC in a busy traffic area should do it every time though.

1 Like

exactly the same i suspect co pilote (i will fire him) this evening did a 1000nm flight in a320 fbw did al the com’s myself whit no problem.however i find a prob whit baro pres at my home airport ebbr alt is 185 ft and sim say 245ich.greetz.

Have that nearly every flight right now. (like described in orig post)

It works at the beginning and at some time during flight, my co is the only one I’m hearing (and reading).

2 Likes

Has anyone come up with a work-around to get the ATC back?

Tried, SFX off then back on, and a few other ideas, but no luck. Not till the flight finished and I did a hard restart did ATC return. Approach, Tower, and Ground off. ATIS did scroll across the bottom of the window.

Believe it or not . when changing Nvidia drivers…because of CTD’s…the newer drivers made this happen. when I reverted back to 472.47 ( Early November studio driver), this problem went away…many flight hours later (30+), it still has not come back

Change your driver back to 472.47 problem goes away along with instability…that driver is still very stable as of the new patch today. ( Dec 21 /21)

Am I the only one who’s losing Azure with a nice red message on every flight now? It never happened before but now it happens constantly. (Edit: read some messages above, glad to not be alone)

The worst is that it switches to Windows text to speech and, well, it seems that my tts is in French like Windows but my game is in English.
It’s hilarious to listen to :joy:

If anyone knows how I can add English to my Windows tts and make it default, that would be neat! (I already have the EN US keyboard installed)

Started a 4 hour flight today with ATC working - both sound and text in the ATC panel. About 1.5 hours into the flight ATC voice (sound) stops AND text stops appearing in the panel. Checked settings and all seemed OK. Have US english installed.
Switched from Azure to offline but nothing seems to correct this issue…

4 Likes