Cannot move both throttles together with VR controllers on many aircraft

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes

Brief description of the issue:

Hi, shortly after VR controller support was added in Nov 2021 (I think), a hotfix was made so that all throttles move together when grabbed and moved with a VR controller. This was applied to all Asobo aircraft at this time. However many newer official aircraft (eg A310 or the new ATR) do not benefit from this fix. Additionally many third party aircraft do not have it. The fix is important, as it is impossible to land or take off safely when only moving one throttle.

Whilst it would be good for the fix to be applied to the newer aircraft, I think it would be better if this was default behaviour when a VR controller is detected, so that it works on third party aircraft without the developer having to remember to enable it.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Grab and move throttle on A310 or ATR using a VR controller

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Quest 2, but I believe this will be the same for all VR equipment

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

This has been the case for all aircraft since VR controller support was added in Nov 21, with the exception of the Asobo aircraft which had a hotfix applied shortly thereafter.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I think this is a deliberate choice of the addon manufacturer. Especially for highly detailed aircraft as the A310 it makes no sense to link the throttles together. There are situations where you need asymetric thrust.
I anyway would not recomend to use a VR controller to control the aircraft. For me it is way more convinenet to use the mouse in VR too.

There may be some occasions when you want asymmetric thrust, but we need symmetric thrust on every single flight- I highly doubt developers would make a design decision that stops us taking off and landing.

All users have different preferences on control methods, mine is to use VR controllers (at least for everything except stick/yoke) as I find them by far the most immersive.

Surely, particularly with the majority of multi-engine aircraft having two engines and thus two throttle levers, it shouldn’t be too hard to have 1 click-spot for each, on the outer end of the lever, and a combined click-spot, somewhere between the two? Perhaps similar to how Fenix manage the landing light switches on their A320?

For aircraft with more levers, 747/A380 for example, a click spot above the centre of those levers would move them all and individual click-spots, say below the centre of each individual lever.

1 Like

I think it’s safe to say asbo and devs for MSFS have abandond any future development for the VR controllers… it’s complex for them to work out… it’s a shame but the ATR/airbus ect cannot be flown with just controllers. The ATR kinda works but with the throttles being separate it’s not possible…

xp12 winds with VR hands down

2 Likes

I hope that isn’t the case, but it has certainly looked like that for the last 1.5 years.

However in this topic I am not even asking for any “further” development, just for the simple fix that was applied to the Asobo planes at the time of the fix to be applied to all the planes that have been released since then. If anyone knows how to do it I would happily do it myself !

Are you referring to flying with virtual stick/yoke here? It’s tricky due to the poor implementation in MSFS (I have another wishlist topic asking for them to add tilt controls like in other Sims) but FlyingIron Spitfire works reasonably well for this

Update from MS about VR… they say its not dead but its been so long sins any official talk on the subject so i’m not sure what part is still alive?

While I can understand that you may think it’s abandoned, from Microsoft, it has not:

As pointed out above, we have been reading this thread and have sent in your feedback to the team! We cannot speak to what updates and features VR will see in the future, but as mentioned in a previous Q&A, VR is part of the core sim team and it is not going anywhere or being thrown aside. Regardless, we know there is plenty to improve on in this area and understand your current frustrations with the slow timeline. We do appreciate your thoughts and feedback in this area and will be keeping a cl…