Cannot re-Install 2GB App on small C drive. Installer wants full 157Gb free!

(Store Version) I had the main 2GB MSFS app on C drive and 150GB content on D: drive. I un-installed MSFS, but now when I go to re-install, it won’t just install the MSFS Launcher (2GB), but instead it insists on 157GB free on C drive!!

I want to just re-install the 2GB App on C drive and then be given the option to store the content elsewhere.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

"Microsoft Store apps function like any other app in your system. However, they are not stored like any other app when installed. By default, the installation location of Microsoft Store apps is not visible.

Apps downloaded from the Microsoft Store are saved in a folder called ‘WindowsApps’ inside the ‘Program Files’ directory of your Windows installation drive. This folder is hidden by default on every Windows system but it’s fairly easier to unhide and access the contents of it."
End Article quote:

Note the “‘Program Files’ directory of your Windows installation drive”.
If you install Windows on any drive other than your C: drive, that is your Windows installation drive.
Also referred to as the “Boot” drive.

During install, you can tell it the the location of your content, the “installed Packages”, for your D drive.

Just click the box and enter your D: drive location of FS2020.

1 Like

Moved to Tech Talk which is more appropriate :+1:

Solution: For future reference.

If you try to re-install “Microsoft Flight Simulator” or the “Premium Deluxe” version, MSStore insists on the diskspace required for a full install (157GB in my case).

The solution is to reinstall the “Digital Ownership” option in the MSStore. This will only download the 2GB App to drive C. Then when you start MSFS, you are prompted where to install the data files.

2 Likes