Can't believe my poor VR performance on my system

I have the same issue. I installed the latest version last week (in May 2022) which is the 120gb install. My system is Xeon 2.8, 32gb RAM, 1TB SSD, and Nvidia M2000M 4GB video with 1080p HD screen. I have the latest oculus drivers and latest nvidia drivers. Fast wifi 60mbps. Oculus link is ridiculous with stuttering and waiting for it for enter the VR desktop. I found better performance using Virtual desktop over WiFi - vs oculus with the cable attached! I connect using virtual desktop and start steamVR, then FS2020 - with settings down to LOW it works but the refresh is poor, it flickers a lot and it’s just not enjoyable but It’s better than with the link cable which is plain intolerable.I would like smooth performance like oculus games installed on the headset - but that’s too much to hope for. My feeling is oculus hasn’t got their act together for the cable or drivers because every time I use virtual desktop everything is smoother and less lag. Unfortunately it doesn’t help much with FS2020. If my machine specs can’t handle VR then I’m not sure what target audience oculus is aiming for. I’ve reinstalled FS2020 and oculus and steam and it doesn’t help.

really? Respect to try VR with this videocard.

Here a compare to actual hardware
UserBenchmark: Nvidia Quadro M2000 vs RTX 3080

I realize there are better video cards. There always will be. However the minimum specs call for FS call for 4GB video card which is within specs for my card, so the comparison isn’t helpful. I do understand the performance will be better on newer cards.

Nope. 4GB of memory is ok for FS, but the GPU is way too slow. A GTX 770 is the lowest graphics card for flat use, which is about twice as fast as your old work card.

And for VR, which is actually more demanding than 4k, I would place a 1060 / 70 or RX580 as the very bottom viable card for FS. And even with that, you won’t have much fun.

From a 1080ti / 2070s or 2080 upwards it gets interesting.

1 Like

Yikes, I’m surprised it loaded.

In comparison, an RTX 3080ti would give you a 4,500% performance boost. In VR that will hit 35 to 45 fps.

Hi

I see… I guess then only an upgrade….

Thanks for the confirmation.

1 Like

Hi
It does work if I go with LOW settings… even though FS2020 detected that “medium” is what it should be… if I chose Medium then I get immediate flashing in VR. Setting it LOW works under virtual desktop (not Oculus Air Link) and the game is playable if you want to sacrifice 80% of the outside scenery with everything turned to low and the cockpit detail is hard to read. That makes it unenjoyable to say the least.

I see my only option is to upgrade…

Thanks for info and checking…

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from a GTX 1070 to an RTX 3080ti. All settings being eqaul after the swap I saw a remarkable improvement in sharpness and lighting effects.

Video card prices are a bit crazy though.

Thanks. Do you think a laptop with an RTX 3060 with 6gb be sufficient ?

Should run much better. But keep in mind that laptop cards are below the desktop version. I myself would use a 3070(or ti) in notebook. This card is almost twice as fast as the 3060. Better chooice for the future.

the rtx 3060 laptop (andd 3060ti desktop) is actually just an rtx 2060 with faster memory. Here Nvidia has tricked something. The 3070 laptop (and 3060 non ti desktop) has a real ampere chip

Thanks this is very useful. The 3070 card looks good but I have to factor in cost - these cards are very expensive, may have to settle for best value for the money…

1 Like

that is understandable. Maybe you can find a cheaper laptop with an rtx2080. :wink:

Neither can I… I have 7700K, 3080ti, 32GB DDR4 and fast SSD.

I was expecting BIG changes with a 3080ti and this new DLSS thing in SU10, but they were pretty mediocre in VR with the Q2… Still a stutter fest, but a small increase in FPS. Most planes have a decent and ‘flyable’ experience despite the stutters, but once I get in a heli (Hype H145) it’s flat out unplayable in VR… Everyone seems to go to the G2 for VR and it seems optimized for Flightsim better than the Q2.

My conclusion is the Quest 2 was made for casual normies and kids who just wanna play their little VR games in the living room wirelessly- it is not meant for Flightsim.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.