Can't configure moderate wind with small gust factor (base wind ignored, varies to zero)

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

no

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

yes

Brief description of the issue:

cant simulate moderate winds with small gust factor (steady, but not gusty)

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Provide coordinates (DevMode > Options > Display position)

n/a

Provide time & date of the observed Weather issue

custom

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Set 15mph winds, set 2mph gust, any gusts per min… Observe Wind graph completely disregarding the 15mph base wind value. Try again, with 15/17 (the normal metar notation). Observe that the wind graph still varies from 0 to 17

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Always, since downloading a year ago, keep hoping an update will fix it. I’ve seen other threads but they all are too general “fix this crap”… here is a specific test case that doesn’t work. If it’s just the graph I don’t care, then fix the graph. If I can’t have confidence in what you are showing me then what’s the point of configuring it anyway. I keep bouncing off this and going elsewhere (xplane or other games entirely) because I what want to do is break down landing scenarios and get solid on the crosswind correction techniques before I add in gusts… but I don’t seem to be able to get a relatively steady wind, which does happen (albeit not very often) in real life. Where I live this is pretty hard weather to findas a student in a real plane, especially with trees near the runway at my airport, but a sim should offer the chance to isolate and work on things under controlled conditions.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

No need. Original description is pretty thorough.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Maybe read the text of my report? I specifically said I tried it both ways (15 and 2 and 15 and 17). You might also have noticed that I am a student pilot in real life too (yes US)… It certainly would be good if MS supported the standard notation, but I’ll settle for any notation that actually works.

1 Like

How is this “feedback”?? It’s a bug. There is a clear, mathematical contradiction between the inputs (the wind/gust factor) and the outputs (the wind graph). If the gust is interpreted as +/-2 and the base wind is 15, no part of the graph should be below 13… and if the intent is to list it in Metar form, then 15-17 should rage between 15 and 17, certainly never (or at least very rarely) below 13… The graph clearly shows nothing of the sort with many excursions from the expected range. This is really important because The loss of lift from a 17 to 0mph change is fantastically more challenging than a 17-13 transition.

2 Likes

Here is the explanation of the different tags:

Thanks for the clarification :slight_smile: I guess “feedback-logged” might be less confusing as “investigation-pending” or “in-verification”

1 Like