Cant find M S2020 exe

Today I was trying to install a new M2 Drive. I removed an M2 drive that was in my second M2 MB slot and inserted the new M2 Drive so that I could clone my C drive to it. After successfully cloning, I then removed the Cloned M2 and placed the original M2 back into the slot. I then rebooted the PC and all seemed normal. There were no permanent hardware changes. When I clicked on the MSFS2020 Icon I had pinned to the task bar, the icon disappeared and a message came up saying the App could not run?? So I tried to find the exe and try again, but I absolutely could not find it and I don’t know why this whole situation happened. Thankfully I had made a backup and the restore worked and everything is back again, including the exe.

Now I need to purchase a new motherboard with an extra M2 slot so that I can use my larger 2TB cloned M2 drive. I’m afraid though, that I may encounter this error again when installing new hardware and I need to know how to proceed. Does MSFS2020 need to be deactivated, or is there another procedure, hopefully it’s not a reinstall.

I do have a copy of my receipt for my store bought copy of MS2020 but I could not find an activation code, just an order ID number. Could some kind soul please let me know how to proceed.

Thanks very much in advance for help forthwith.

Are the drive names [letters] the same as they were. If not, the last line of the user.cfg specifies where to find the sim and the community folder. It may have to be edited if locations changed.

1 Like

How to move Microsoft Flight Simulator to a new PC – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

1 Like

Thanks, Yes Drive letters were the same once I had put the original drive back in it’s place. All my other software worked fine, except MS2020. My community folder is hyperlinked to another Drive, but that Drive letter didn’t change.

Thanks alot. Will check this out as I will soon need to do the upgrade.

1 Like