Can't get heading selector to work on 787 or 747

Hi All;
This is my 1st post so I am new to this forum but not to flight sim.

I implemented the sim on the 16th. Nov 2021 so I had a fairly updated version on initial install.
The problem I am having is, for the life of me I can’t get the heading to engage on both the 787 and the 747.

I engage the auto pilot about 5,000 feet AGL, set the altitude, VS, Airspeed (auto throttle on) and everything works except the heading. I select the heading with the wheel of the mouse and then left click, right click, tried multiple variations and still the aircraft will not engage to the selected heading. Also, about 15 mins into to the free flight the aircraft just seems to have a mind of it’s own and just descends and then climbs for no reason.

I am not doing a flight plan or anything just trying to do a basic (101) flight to understand how the aircraft works with the sim.

So just a few points so you understand my dilemma.

I have been doing Flight Sim since the 80’s up to including FSX and P3D today, I currently use FSX default aircraft plus iFLY 747, PMDG747-777 and QW 787 and never had an issues just doing a basic flight 101. I know how to set up an aircraft. I have also have a PPL for over 30 years so I do know something about real life flying and fly a sim .

1. After downloading the app on the 16th. Nov 2021 everything downloaded fine no errors (took about 4 1/2 hours) since I have a good internet service.
  2. Perform all updates post installation about 2 weeks after. There is nothing pending in Content Manager, everything says “Up to Date”
  3. Flight Model = Modern not Legacy".
  4. I have the Premium Deluxe as you can tell since I have the 787.
  5. This is a brand new gaming PC Win 10 Pro edition and there is nothing on this PC just the default win apps, that’s it. My other PC has FSX and P3D. I didn’t want any old stuff, DLL etc to interfere with app.
  6. I have seen individuals express similar issues on forums but there were all 1 year ago when the app was much newer and it seems that heading and or “out of control aircraft issues” were address prior to my purchase; but maybe I am wrong.
  7. I changed my mouse thinking that maybe my mouse may be acting up, but same issue. Not sure if the mouse clicks for the views are at times interferes with the selection on the autopilot, Just trying to figure out what could be causing these issues.

Overall it just seems that I just can’t get the aircraft 747 and 787-10 (mostly the 787, and that’s the only aircraft I intend to fully fly) to perform a basic 101 flight without heading and lateral issues. It seems I am flying an initial version of the app.
Everything else works fine, loads, scenery, load times, 60 FPS with mostly Extreme Settings.

My humble apologies for the very long post, but I wanted to provide as much information as possible to assist with determining what the issue might be. It will also prevent the “back and forth” basic questions of what I may have already done.
Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

As you can tell I am very frustrated since I just want to get these birds flying before I dive into the flight planning etc…etc and I just can’t get it to work.

Thanks.
Kindest Regards.

UndyingHen25539

Hello @UndyingHen25539, welcome to the MSFS forum.

Sorry to hear about your issue.
I am not aware of any issues regarding the heading selector, so could you try the following?

1. Change your mouse interaction mode in the in-game menu to legacy, so General Options → Accessibility → Cockpit interaction system → Legacy.
  2. Go to options > controls options > mouse and select the default binding profile and save changes.
  3. Retry to engage HDG mode in the 787, so ensure Autopilot is on, ensure Flight Director is on, turn the HDG knob by using the scroll function of your mouses scroll wheel to your desired heading, ensure in a similar manner that the bank limit is set to auto, ensure to push in the HDG button by left clicking in the middle of it. Confirm the PFD shows HDG Sel mode and check if the plane turns as desired.
    If there are any issues, or if you want to check for discrepencies, use:
    Boeing 787 Autopilot Panel Tutorial with AUTOLAND - Microsoft Flight Simulator - PC and XBOX - YouTube

Please try at FL100, as there is currently a temperature issue at high altitudes.

I hope this can help with your issue.

4 Likes

Yes, thank you so much. Your recommendation did solve the problem. Interesting enough, of all of the YouTube videos out there about setups, I didn’t come across any that suggested this change to address an issue. I may have seen it but if it wasn’t tied to an issue I may not have taken note of it. I also purchased the SoFly Guide to MSFS 2020 to get some added information on the set up process.

In terms of the FL100 issue with the 787 yes, I noticed it.

Again, thank you ever so much for your prompt response and your help which did the trick ; I really appreciate it.

Kindest Regards.
UndyingHen25539.

2 Likes

Great to hear,

as the issue seems resolved, I am closing the topic.