Carenado 337 and de icing

Can I fly it in icing conditions? It looks like there’s wing de ice… Cheers.

There are some basic de-icing devices in the Skymaster, but it is no all-weather aircraft.

http://www.37000feet.com/report/1346846/While-flying-in-a-cessna-skymaster-T337-in-icing-conditions-the-right

Carenado chose not to model several of the de-icing systems in the 337 (there are some labeled but missing switches on the panel), so I turn icing off in MSFS 2020 when flying the 337 when I see ice beginning to form, as I have no way to tell how robust the de-icing should be on the 337 as the functionality is not there to test.

But also, I don’t fly into heavy icing conditions on purpose. Instead, I pretend I have the missing de-icing functionality but I also do everything I can to get out of any icing conditions as soon as possible.

I found in many cases, you can map de-icing controls to keybinds (i.e., windshield defrost, airframe de-ice, prop de-ice etc.) and they will work even if the aircraft itself doesn’t have this sub-system. It’s a break from immersion, but it might be worth it on those trips where you really wanted to fly a particular plane under specific or Live WX. Just a consideration.

1 Like