Carenado Archer II is inbound

I’m happy for you, but maybe you just haven’t noticed it yet. As I said, I also did it that way at the beginning and didn’t notice for a while that there was something wrong with the performance. Unfortunately, I don’t remember which aircraft were affected - it was too long ago.

Everyone as she/he likes :slight_smile: - to do the little work of creating a separate profile for each type of aircraft :wink:

I found a Video about leaning the engine Piper. It has the same egt gauge like in the plane.
This Video ist for ppl like me who doesnt know how the egt gauge works

1 Like

You do you. I agree with @Baracus250, we like your setup ideas. Every plane is different. So, in the long run, You have to get used to, if you’re going to fly in different planes, working out the differences for every plane no matter what. Not to mention, there’s nothing stopping you from using variations of this setup with other planes.

I would suggest, however, saving the setup as whatever plane it’s for and remembering to switch to it when you select that plane. Hopefully someday Asobo will add the code that allows users to automatically assign individual setups for planes so you don’t have to go select it.

Perhaps somebody could write a script that allows users to do this semi-automatically rather than having to go into the controller options menu?

2 Likes

By state files, he means the .flt files in the directory where the aircraft.cfg file resides, files like the apron.flt (used when cold and dark start at a parking spot), runway.flt (used when starting at the runway), etc…

In those files, you’ll find a line for the transponder code. Changing it doesn’t always work as some planes (like the Just Flight planes) ignore these files and grab them from their own setup file.

2 Likes

I like this plane. Stable and easy to trim so lack of autopilot isn’t an issue. Of course, I’m just a VFR tourist in this game.

I have the full stable of PA28s, both of Carenado’s and the three from Just Flight. Each has its own quirks and features so I don’t consider any of them redundant.

Now all I need are a couple of Hershey Bar wing versions for the full appreciation of the genius and flexibility of Pipers original design.

7 Likes

I know just the man for the job! :slight_smile:
@Sonicviz - do you think it’s doable? Without external software.

Unsure, it’s on the todo list already, but I need to finish off the current projects first before digging into it.

IL2 has individual controller setups per plane now.

2 Likes

There’s no reason MSFS can’t have it either, other than it hasn’t been prioritized by Asobo. It’s been asked for since day one. It just never got enough votes?

Hmm, looks like it’s got a lot, I don’t know why it hasn’t been on the radar…

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/ability-to-have-separate-control-setups-for-each-aircraft-without-having-to-manually-switch-between-20-controller-profiles/267419?u=flyingscool5650

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I’m going to keep this setup because if real life pilots can be type rated on different planes I think I can have a couple of buttons on my desk move around.

In general though, I’m sorry to have derailed the conversation to controller bindings when we should have been talking about this great plane all along. My reason for mentioning that I had overhauled my control settings was to show how much I liked this plane, that I would go out of my way to remap everything just to fly it the best way I can. It’s so satisfying now to be able to change fuel tanks and operate the fuel pump to do it without having to click around the interior and scoot my view down to the footwell of the plane. I haven’t done this for any other plane, relying instead on generic piston/turboprop/twin setups and just working around the differences.

I’ve spent most of my time on this forum in XBOX LOD threads where straying off topic runs the risk of censure. I don’t know how these plane threads work, but I hope this one is safe from that. Because I am really enjoying this thing right now (having parked things like the 414 and the VisionJet to fly it) and hope we can continue discussing it here. I just did not expect this quiet Carenado release to change the way I play so much and I hope others can see this thread and be pleasantly surprised themselves.

5 Likes

Does anyone know if there is aileron trim in this plane? I turned the tool tips on and went through the whole interior (I think) and could only find rudder trim. I have a keybind for aileron trim and it seems to work but I don’t know if that’s (1) the sim working despite itself (2) the plane having controls I haven’t found or (3) my imagination abetted by the wing tanks drawing down/turbulence.

I glanced at the POH but couldn’t find anything on the topic. Thanks!

Just took the irl Archer up for some pattern work, came home and duplicated the flight in the sim, matching the date, time and weather. Definitely immersive. I’m absolutely back in the plane. Performance for power settings looked great. High pressure and 20 degrees F here and it was climbing for the moon in real life and the sim. Speeds looked pretty good on downwind, base, and final. Pretty sure you could use this add-on to actually prep/practice for real life.

No major issues beyond what’s already been discussed here. The throttle responsiveness is the biggest. It laaags in the sim. And the throttle position, which was also brought up. You have to really pull it back in the sim to reduce power. This actually screws up my pattern because in real life I can quickly just set my power by RPM depending on my position in the pattern. In the sim, you’re waiting and waiting and waiting for the power to change, and then not expecting to have to pull the throttle back that much to get the desired setting, and by then you’ve overshot your turn or missed adjusting your attitude. A couple practice trips around the pattern and you quickly adapt to this and can fly the pattern no problem, but it could be a lot closer to real life with an adjustment here. If they fixed this, I think the plane would be pushed into the great category.

Other differences: The sim variant is cranking a couple hundred more RPMs than our club Archer is at full throttle. I’m using a lot more right rudder to step on the ball in real life. That’s always been the case in the sim though I’ve found. The other big one was the flare. Whereas in real life the controls get real heavy, a little mushy, and the plane wants to come down, in the sim she floats substantially more and is nimble to the end. You can really baby it down on a pillow in the sim. Part of this is the controls for sure, where I’m flying with a stick and no force feedback in the sim, instead of jerking a big heavy yoke around in the actual Archer.

One big nod to the sim was the weather and wind gusts. By matching what we had at the field today, it really felt alive in the sim like I was up there. I found myself overshooting my turn to final just like I did in real life because of the crosswind, and getting knocked around about the same amount. It really felt great.

I’m also now really looking forward to JF’s Warrior update. I really liked how they made the plane feel heavy and stable, so if they can fix that jerkiness in the pitch axis, it would be really competitive for realness with the Carenado, but the Carenado wins for now, not only in how it flies, but the presentation is exquisite.

31 Likes

Can you go into detail as far as your fuel tank selector mapping? Sweet idea.

There is an autopilot control knob on the Thrustmaster Boeing throttle quadrant that has an outer ring and an inner ring. The inner ring is a freely spinning wheel knob which is set to “plus” and “minus”, and the outer ring by default is set to “select airspeed bug” (XBOX joystick button 32, PC button 12), “select heading bug” (XBOX joystick button 33, PC button 13), and “select altitude bug” (XBOX joystick button 34, PC button 14).

All I’ve done is rebind the three positions to:

• Button 32/12: Fuel selector 1 center
  • Button 33/13: Fuel selector 1 left, and
  • Button 34/14: Fuel selector 1 right.

The behavior I get now is when I turn the knob to the leftmost position, the fuel selector in the plane is set to “off”. The center position puts the fuel selector at “left tank”, and the right position puts the fuel selector at “right tank”. I’ve assigned the buttons around the autopilot knob to be in the same order as the ones on the plane’s dash so the top left button (XBOX joystick button 27, PC button 7) is “toggle fuel pump”. Since the three positions are in the same orientation as the knob in the plane, it’s easy to see just by looking which tank I’m on, and easy to shut off the fuel at the end of the flight and start again with it off again the next flight (which is an added bonus since by default even in cold and dark state the plane loads in with the left tank selected).

And since the inner knob is now inop because the airspeed, heading, and altitude selectors are disabled, I reassigned that to “increase magneto” (XBOX joystick button 36, PC 16) and "decrease magneto (XBOX joystick button 35, PC 15). So now I can crank the engine and go through all the positions with the key by turning the inner knob.

1 Like

I want flushing toilets .

Thanks for sharing the IRL comparison, @SkipTalbot … I was going to skip this, but it sounds like overall it’s an excellent flight model and to me that’s the most critical aspect of an add-on.

I hope you’ve shared your observations with Carenado! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent write up @SkipTalbot, and most informative!

With regards to the missing FFB in the sim, there are two very informative threads here:

Basically you would want to get yourself an old MS Sidewinder FFB2 joystick and a little programm called “XPForce”.
It is not perfect, and by a long shot, but it gives you control forces increasing in strength with airspeed.
I really have grown to have this kind of feedback from the plane in different phases of flight. Just adds so much to the immersion when the controls get all mushy during flare, or feel heavy spring loaded during a fast descent. Not to mention to having the yoke in your lap if trim is all the way back.

P.S. Once we have ray tracing (praying :pray:), screenshots from MSFS will be indistinguishable from real life :grin:

Thanks for this detail! Will adopt this myself, very cool idea.

1 Like

This is absolutely one of the most needed things ever. I have tons of planes 2 different systems the full TCA kit which I use to fly planes without yokes and of course Airbus’s and a velocity Vone, which I use for planes with a yoke e.g. PMDG 737, and sometimes I combine the Yoke from the VONE and remove the quadrant and use the TCA quadrant e.g. HJET. It’s a pain, to set up as I can’t leave it at my desk, but it is an even bigger pain finding and selecting the profiles for the hardware.

A very awesome poster on here put me on to AXIS&OHS but I can never get it to work, and since X-Plane deals with this so well, I hope MSFS does soon.

2 Likes

That is a nice review of RL vs Sim differences/similarities in the Archer II. I am also a RL pilot that flies the Archer II. I agree with your assessments above. Only other thing I would add is the stall. IRL, as I am sure you know, it mushes and doesnt drop a wing (unless you really try to make it do that). In the sim, it drops a wing, both power off an power on stalls. I feel it’s a bit twitchy on the elevator in the flare or especially on a soft field takeoff when holding the nose off the ground, so in the sim I increased the Extremity Dead Zone to about 15% to blunt the elevator twitchiness…I’ll keep experimenting, but seems to help. I’m with you, the throttle lag is the biggest issue and would agree, if fixed, would make this an even better plane for practicing maneuvers and dialing in the performance I am trying to get, similar to the real world Archer II. Pleasantly surprised by this Carenado plane!

2 Likes

Good call, I didn’t get to fly maneuvers yesterday, so I wasn’t going to comment on that at all, but I did notice the wing drop in the sim. I had a little bounce on one of my landings irl yesterday and was trying to reproduce it in the sim by coming in too steep, or by stalling it just above the pavement, and yeah instead of it mushing into the runway it dropped the left wing.

The stall warning is super piercing in the sim. I don’t remember it being that obnoxious in the actual plane, maybe because my headset is muting it, but I wish the sim sounded the same, as if I was wearing a headset too. Makes me not want to do full stall flares in it lol.

What’s funny is I’m actually using the non-FFB version of that same MS Sidewinder joystick. It’s a great suggestion, but personally I’m reluctant to buy used 25-year-old hardware especially since it’s not natively supported. I think I’ll get something with hall sensors and big heavy springs when this Sidewinder finally goes. Although it’s lasted this long, it’ll probably be another 25 years. A testament to the build quality, I might as well get the FFB version.