Cessna 172 build

I started a 172 panel build and already have ran into several sim connect problems.

1. I have tried the transponder state var. I can not seen to get it to work with anything. Switch, button, or encoder.
  2. Also having a similar problem with the autopilot functions.

I’m using Mobiflight with an arduino 2560. I finished my PA-28 Arrow III panel and got everything working but this Asobo 172 is being tough.

Any help would be great.

Just use the MSFS2020 172 events in Mobiflight.

I have tried them but some just don’t seem to work right. EX. If I press the ALT button in sim I can adjust VS rate but with a button tied to the ALT function it does not respond the same. I’ll be working on the 172 autopilot much more now that the Arrow III is done. I would like to have a full VR 172 panel just like the Arrow III. I’m making these panel so that in 5 minutes I can take one out and put the other in. These two planes are exact opposites for sim flying. Arrow III is complex low wing and the 172 is simple high wing. I have a mega 2560 and UNO waiting to get in the 172 panel.

My button box runs everything in the 172 (steam gauge) except for DME/ADF (because it’s not implemented) and some of the audio panel buttons. I can give you my MobiFlight profile if you would like.

Just found out today that the AP is listed under the KAP140. Got it all configured now.

Almost finished the GNS430 for the 172. Wrong measurement for the holes so getting a new one made this week. Plus I broke this at the top and tried to fix it. :pensive:

1 Like

I got the KAP140 panel in today. Wired it up and all test well.

1 Like

I’m thinking of making a modular panel with this. It would have all the slots for avionics and switch panels that can be swapped out based on airframe. They would all use the same yoke and pedals and throttle. Kind of like a real plane where you can upgrade/replace the avionics. With this setup I could swap out items and go between a C172 and PA-28 or even a Mooney M20. I would use the same kind of setup that a computer uses to replace CDs or hard drives. Since I only fly VR having everything where it should be makes flying so much better.

I have started the 3D printing of the 172 and PA-28 brackets that will be used to swap out the avionics and switch panels. The final panel will have slots only and the encoders for the instruments.

The 172 will have a GNS430, GNS530, KAP140, Transponder and Cessna switch panel and throttle setup.
The PA-28 will have a GNS530, KX175B, DME, Transponder, Piper switch panel and throttle setup.
All will be modular (think RealSim gear type) and can be removed and arranged in any location.
Each piece will have its own Arduino with just a USB connection. When done the locations of all the avionics and most of the switches should be within an inch of where I see them in VR.
Since these are the only two airframes I fly and only in VR this will be the ultimate setup for my style.
The custom yoke and pedals are shared.

This is the first unit with the bracket attached. KAP140 for the 172

2 Likes

Looking like solid progress. Nice

I’m stuck trying to get the Transponder modes to work. I have the digits but not the modes. What did you use for the mode variables?

The bracket came from a 3D object that I reshaped and stretched. All the modules will have the same type of bracket and slide rails they ride on to go in/out.

I’ll check when I get home tonight. I do remember it being generic ( or a different radio) as I used 4 encoders vs. 7 buttons

Have you watched this video: Transponder for MSFS 2020 - Learn tips for better MobiFlight configs - YouTube

Yes. I build that exact model and used that coding but the mode would not change on the 172. Not sure of what plane he used

you mean which plane I used? the c152.

1 Like

I misread what you wrote. I used a 5 position switch. Is that what you’re using?

I was wondering what variable for the 172 from Asobo for the transponder. I have one built that works perfect in the PA-28 Arrow from JF. That’s it right above the switch panel.

Does anyone know what model number transponder in in the Asobo 172? I use an encoder to change mode in the JF plane with the mode_up or mode_down variable. That doesn’t work with the 172.

2 Likes

No. Rotary encoder. What are your 5 variables that the switch triggers?