Cessna 172 build

First ‘rough’ test fit for both planes. Blank plates will fill in the unused slots .

can

2 Likes

Started on the modual wiring and motherboard/interface board today. Kind of my own homemade Lounge Pilot board.

2 Likes

Testing 4 of the modular units.

2 Likes

I’m installing the silver face today. The controllers will be mounted on the back. A quick release for the FFB yoke handle let’s me swap the panel or any units for multiple configurations. A G1000 panel will be next winters project. It’s all for VR so no gauges needed. The FFB yoke is a modification of JCSLOVE’s Saitek yoke mod. Works great and really add to the VR experience. Currently able to swap between Piper and Cessna configuration in about 5 minutes. This project is about 80% done now. Few more encoders for lights and touchups is all that’s left.

1 Like

Well this hobby has a way of sucking you in. I’m almost done with this build and I’m already planning and redesigning this for the next version. Good to be retired. I had a question on how much this cost. I’ll provide a breakdown later. Over all though it was around $500 for everything. So if I redesign it to be cleaner and not so crude then the cost would be less that $100. :grin:

You’ve been busy… Looks really good. I think a 172 is in the cards for me. Should add a great deal of realism.

Rear view of modular panel and the front view in Piper configuration

1 Like

Spectacular build, well done.

If you have a 3D printer, you can add a handbrake, trim wheel etc.

3D printed Parking Brake for GA planes

I have added both. :grin::grin:

The progression transitioning from Cessna to Piper panel. Total time 7 minutes.
Some are out of order but you get the point. All VR fling for now.

1 Like

The new transponder is ready! Reprinting all faceplate now. image|690x920

KX-175B, and KX-62 done

1 Like

Old style GNS430. KAP140 bezel vs new style.

2 Likes

Almost done. Each has its own Arduino Mega Mini.

1 Like

Finished the 172/Arrow III panel!!

Now onto a G1000 panel for the 172. Using djtaylor’s mini G1000 from thingiverse. Simple and will interface well with the Arduino set I have.

2 Likes

G1000 mini bezels are ready. Still printing other parts.

2 Likes

Well I decided after placing the G1000 mini from djtaylor on the full size Cessna panel it was to small for me. Excellent item though. I decided to go the 10.5 inch one from FlightSimMaker. It just fits the look better. Here is the PFD in the test fit phase.

3 Likes

It should line up the buttons with the sim too. Looking good.

■■■■! Forgot my shop gets a ton of sun. Forgot to close the shade. Reprinting replacement now. :disappointed:

Reprinting in progress. This is the new pieces before and after spraying with flat clear coat. Much better.