Cessna 172 Fuel Flow (G1000 and Analog Panel) Need Correction to Real Values

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.
I do that every time I get an update.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No

Brief description of the issue:
Fuel Flow of the C172 is higher than real aircraft. I flight this aircraft weekly in real life and this is not accurate.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Steam

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?

I’ve also noted on the default C172 classic that with full power, fuel flow shows off the top of the gauge.

With the float version of the C172 classic, this is not the case however:

1 Like

Screenshot showing unrealistic fuel flow on the C172 classic.

2 Likes

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

No. GNS 430/530 installed. See appended screenshot.

Brief description of the issue:

To get the fuel rate for the C172SP model: I did a short local flight, then repeated the flight but added an hour of cruise. The difference in fuel use gave me the model’s fuel consumption in GPH. The details are described below. See also appended Calculation file, plus screenshots. The result: the model’s fuel rate was 35% higher than in the C172S POH.

Calculation

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

When flying the MSFS C172SP model, the fuel consumption seemed higher than in the C172S POH. In the following, (A), (B) … refers to the appended screenshots.
To check this out: I started MSFS normally, hit WORLD MAP > SELECT DEPARTURE > 3S7 (Nehalem Bay State), parked at Ramp 5 (A), right by the fuel pumps and the approach end of rwy 15 (C). I hit FLY > READY TO FLY > FLY. In the WEIGHT AND BALANCE window (B) I set fuel to 100%: 56 gal., and PAYLOAD to maximum: 2558 lb. I pushed back, started the engine, turned the airplane & took off on rwy 15. At 500’ msl I turned toward the ocean, to a heading of ~200 deg (exact direction not important). I climbed to 2000’ msl, reduced power & stabilized the airplane for level flight. At FT=9 min on the panel clock (D) I did a standard rate left turn & flew back toward the airport. At FT=12 min. (E) I reduced power as required for approach (idle to 1000rpm) & landed on rwy 33. The landing roll took me to the fuel pumps, right through the vehicle that always blocks the way. I checked fuel on board: 53.7 gal (F). This 1st flight had used 2.3 gal.
I then repeated the flight, except instead of starting the turn back to the airport at FT = 9 min, I flew on for another 30 min. (G), started turning at FT = 39 min. (H) & flew back on the reciprocal heading. I started descent at FT = 72 min. Result: I added 1 hour at 2000 msl & ~2375 rpm to the time of the 1st flight. After landing, I checked fuel on board: 41.8 gal (I). The 2nd flight had used 14.1 gal. I subtracted the fuel for the 1st flight (for the takeoff & climb, turn & return, approach & landing), so the fuel used in the extra hour was 11.8 gal. For the C172S POH fuel rate (fig. 5-8), I interpolated between the rates for 2300 & 2400 (8.1 & 9.0 GPH) to get 8.8 GPH. The C172SP model’s use rate was 35% higher than the C172S POH.
The enclosed spreadsheet shows the calculations.
With such a high fuel rate, is the model for a more powerful engine? But the model’s 109 KTAS (GNS 430 in G.) is practically identical to the POH.
The panel Fuel Flow gauge shows 13 GPH (G) – even higher than derived above. Yet another bug?

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Search is your friend.

1 Like

I don’t read where you used the mixture to lean the engine. (yes 3000 foot rule - but you did the test at 2000 feet - try again higher altitude) Your fuel flow gauge is way above the green and around 12 gph so it seems to read accurately to the way you are flying. My POH for the 172P says the cruise chart is for 2400 lbs. I also see you at 2400 rpm. Try cruise at 2200 or 2300.