Cessna 172 steering in cross wind

i am in awe this is not being addressed like literally it’s a C172, the most flown airplane in the world and in the sim probably…and they haven’t said or done anything with this issue that does not let you take off without steering off the runway. hello dev team?

2 Likes

Just reading your post 30 days too late perhaps.
I have the same issue. The rudder effectiveness is too low for stronger crosswind take off, - and landing especially. Not so IR.
bye walter

1 Like

Well, it may be the great legacy of the Microsoft Flight Simulator series, so-called ‘platform concentrated’.

The stock planes are mostly awful. You need purchase 3rd party planes to fly happily.

Even the AI pilot cannot cope with mild crosswind during taxi, gets pushed off to the side of the taxiway, has to stop and then correct the deviation, much to the annoyance of the following aircraft.

c172 g1000 and classic has two new lines in the flight-model.cfg

ground_crosswind_effect_max_speed = -1000
ground_crosswind_effect_zero_speed = -1000

Those causes the plane to steer. Before we had zero crosswind affecting the aircraft at ground in all of the aircraft. Now it’s unlimited in those 2 planes.

ground_crosswind_effect_max_speed default value is 80

ground_crosswind_effect_zero_speed default value is 5

You can also set up tire friction using those lines

ground_high_speed_steeringwheel_static_friction_scalar

ground_high_speed_otherwheel_static_friction_scalar

Scroll down here to read the description of those lines.

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/Content_Configuration/SimObjects/Aircraft_SimO/flight_model_cfg.htm#h1

If you make changes to the flight-model.cfg, make sure to create a backup.

1 Like

At present, when with moderate to strong crosswind, you must taxi at a speed lower than 10 knots to stay on taxiway. You must start the takeoff run at the upwind side of the runway (start at the center line, you will most likely blow sideward, run off the runway and takeoff on the grass :smile: ) with largest rudder input applied, then you may luckily lift off at the downwind side of the runway instead of on the grass.

Hope they can fix this issue sooner.

Thanks @Perrry, I notice the workaround you stated in some threads.

It’s not hard to fix so hope they Asobo can fix this sooner.

1 Like

No problem, I noticed i wrote about tire friction two times :rofl: Edited now :slight_smile:

Edit: I just want to tell that unchanged is more realistic. But Asobo needs to improve ground handling in those aircraft after the changes they have done. I feel it’s strange they released it like that. Makes many confused. Should have been a different model that says experimental or something.

The next release of the WB-SIM C172 Classic Enhancement mod, uses these configuration parameters, with optimized parameter values, and allow for a realistic taxi, takeoff and landing, in cross winds.

My point being, with these new parameters, the issue can be resolved, and provide good ground , takeoff and landing behavior, even in strong cross winds ( within the Aircraft POH limits)

1 Like

Totally agree, but the friction values is not tuned to be realistic on 172. Thats why i think it were a bad idea to not name it experimental version or something.

It may not be tuned to be tuned to be realistic in teh Default Asobo C172 G1000, even in SU11, but it

IS tuned to be realistic in the WB-SIM C172 Enhansement Mod for the C172 Classic,

in the latest version, due for release at or before SU11 is released,

1 Like

:slight_smile: I bet you are correct. Well, could we use that flight-model.cfg for both classic and g1000? Thanx for letting me know about that addon :slight_smile: Sounds interesting with engine management and stuff.

I guess there is no reason why a user could not modify those parameters in Asobo G1000 C172 (or Asobo C172 Classic) to match that of the WB-SIM C172 (assuming they had purchased the WB-SIM Mod :wink: )

1 Like

I find it really annoying, and discovered this thread. So the problem is the code is not picking up friction when on the ground?

it is xtremely annoying and unrealistic, i truly don’t understand why they don’t fix the physics for such an iconic and popular airplane

2 Likes

Hi! So should I just change the ground_crosswind_effect_max_speed to 80 and ground_crosswind_effect_zero_speed to 5 and then add these lines to the flight_model.cfg? ground_high_speed_steeringwheel_static_friction_scalar
ground_high_speed_otherwheel_static_friction_scalar
It’s almost impossible to taxi the 172 in crosswinds above 13 kts.