Cessna 172 steering in cross wind

Hi everyone,

I find it hard to steering in heavy cross winds to maintain heading in taxi/takeoff, even with rudder pedal full, just after SU10, does anyone has the same issue? Is it the same in real life? How do you fix this?

Thanks!

3 Likes

Moved to #self-service:aircraft-systems

I can keep heading in relative slow speed, like 10 knots below, but when speed is up, seems the plane has no steering until gain some certain speed when the rudder surface takes effect.

Hello @MachSystems,
Others have been reporting the same. Gusts were reintroduced in SU10.

There is a topic here:

I don’t think I’ve had your issue thought Hester’s link does show an annoying issue. You don’t mention the wind speed, what do you call “heavy crosswind”? Larger than the plane can be typically used in?

Are you using the ailerons and elevator correctly during taxi? As per: Wind Correction During Taxi - Flight Training Centers

Hi, I have your steering problem on Cessna 172 too.This is since SU9 !! Many of us have the same problems and,if you do a “search” in the forum (it is good practice to do that prior to post a new topic) you will find many duplicate threads on the same issue. Issue that is still there after SU10 ,unfortunally.

Can’t keep plane on center line on takeoff. Any crosswind makes it uncontrollable. This is just happening on SU10. Appears that Microsoft didn’t test this and released it anyway. Fix this. I’m shelving the simulator until this is fixed. I use live weather only.

You’ll need to apply proper control input during taxi and during the initial takeoff roll. At takeoff for example, if you have a crosswind from the left, during the initial takeoff roll, when you have very little aileron authority, you need to “steer” into the wind - Turn your control wheel left, into the wind. As speed builds, you will gradually bring out this correction. Know that you will need to apply right rudder as well, perhaps even more than normal to keep the nose of the plane from yawing left off centerline.

For taxi in a crosswind, here is the chart that appears in some GA POHs:

crosswindtaxiPOH

I can’t vouch for how well this works with SU10 and wind but this is the technique you use for real-world flying, especially light GA aircraft. Generally you will CLIMB INTO a headwind (controls up and into the wind) and DIVE AWAY from a tailwind (controls down and away from the wind). This is best used in stronger crosswind conditions.

1 Like