Cessna 182 Skylane Mini-Review/Info

I finally bought the Cessna 182 Skylane from the marketplace after it has been through a few updates. In this thread I am going to talk a little about the plane and post some screenshots.

The plane has:

• A Prop (blue) Lever
  • Cowl Flaps
  • Garmin G1000 without Synthetic Vision
  • A unique-looking auto-pilot interface

The Cessna 182 looks and handles a lot like the Cessna 172, but it is larger and a bit more powerful. The power comes in handy when climbing. You can also control the RPM with the prop lever, which you cannot do on the Cessna 172. The 172 also does not have cowl flaps.

There does not appear to be a carburetor heat lever (according to the comments the real aircraft has no carburetor so this is correct). Pulling the Cowl Flaps lever up to the top will open the cowl flaps on the bottom of the exterior of the engine cowl.

Opening the cowl flaps is supposed to reduce the temperature of the engine, specifically the Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT). They should be opened while taxiing, takeoff, and climbing from what I understand. However, when flying around I did not notice any changes in temperatures, so I am not sure this is modelled properly. Also there is no Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) display (also the real aircraft would not have this).

The auto-pilot interface is the small device on the bottom right of the above image. It has red analogue numbers. It is relatively unique, and it is likely the reason behind the lack of synthetic vision in the Garmin flight display. I have heard you can activate the synthetic vision yourself with changes to the XML files, but I have not tried this myself.

By default you cannot see over the instrument panel while taxiing. You will need to press up on the hat switch to get a view over the top of the panel to see the taxiway. The hat switches all work properly as of the recent patches.

The aircraft can be displayed with various static elements while parked, using an iPad-like device on the pilot’s yoke.

Conclusion

The Mooney Ovation is definitely the better aircraft. Considering that they have the same price, if you had to pick one or the other, go with the Mooney Ovation 100%. The C182 is just too similar to other aircraft in the sim to be worth the price on it’s own.

That said, if you have the money, the C182 is not bad at all. Maybe if the price was reduced to $20 it would be worth it.

2 Likes

It would be interesting to hear a report from someone who has flown the C182 in real life…I have only a few hours on a C182R, and therefore do not claim to be an expert, except that she does slow down pretty quick on approach so you have to be very diligent on the throttle. The C182 does handle like a heavy and more powerful C172, of which I have many hours on. I use the A2A C182 in my go to sim, which is excellent. I am waiting for some decent aircraft to be available in MFS, but regretfully, it looks like A2A are a fair way off of offering anything at the moment.

1 Like

I am not a pilot so I can’t give you a real-life comparison. The aircraft does slow down a LOT in landing configuration and I almost didn’t make the threshold the 2 times I tried to land it just after buying it.

That sounds very realistic…take off is normally around 65knts…however the bloke that owns the plane I fly recommended adding at least 5knts to that to get some speed up on your climb…which I do and she climbs very nicely…the cruise setting is 23inches and 3000 RPM below 5000 feet…his preference anyway …it gives you a very enjoyable 155knt IAS. Once you climb above 5000’ then you have to run with the best mixture setting.

I’ve been running at 2300 RPM! By default it sits at 2400 RPM. 3000 is in the red zone I think. 155knt IAS is in the yellow zone, I usually sit at 139knt IAS.

What do real pilots do in such a situation? I guess they don’t have arrow keys in their real planes.

Get a cushion…no seriously I am reasonably tall so I don’t have that problem…but I know gents and ladies that always put a cushion on the seat.
In the SR22 the seat comes forward and up for take off and landing…a brilliant feature may I add.

2 Likes

Engines did change with models over time…so depending on what mark the 182 is, will depend which engine was installed…as far as I remember they were Continental or Lycoming. Even in these models you will find improvements in their ratings over time. The figures I gave you were within the performance limits for the C182R I flew. Also owners tend to have their own preferences.
For example, I also fly a friends PA28 140. (it actually has a 160 donk in it)…and he insists that I use 2350 RPM in cruise.

Well I think they modelled a CT182T, which has a fuel-injected Lycoming TIO-540. No carburator, so no carb heater.

The original release used to drop like a stone with full flaps. Dropping to idle over the threshold was hair raising. It’s not quite like that now, and it does seem to glide a little better. As to its realism, I’m not qualified to say.

True it does not, but one of the fun things you can do with the Saitek Panels, and a copy of SPAD.neXt is make your own guages. So in the case of the missing EGT gauge, let’s just make one, by adding the appropriate value to a display that is not in use, in this case the right hand lower display for ADF:

Readout is in the default of Celsius, but SPAD can also do unit conversion if you want:

SPAD_unit_conversion

Here’s what it looks like in action, from idle to full power. Excuse the shakey cam, I’m recording this with an iPad! :slight_smile:

It doesn’t have a radar altimeter either, but it could!

SPAD_radar_altimeter

Moving outside the realms of realism here. :slight_smile:

Opening the cowl flaps is supposed to reduce the temperature of the engine, specifically the Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT). They should be opened while taxiing, takeoff, and climbing from what I understand

On a pretty hot day they will climb on the ground, but you’ll see them spike in climb. Keep it near the top 2/3rds of the range on the gauge per the POH.

Also there is no Engine Gas Temperature (EGT) display.

Also the POH you lean with the Turbine Inlet Temperature or TIT gauge, because the engine is turbocharged. The G1000 should have an engine page with CHT and EGTs but for now, this method works. The procedures PDF included in the aircraft directory talks about this a little.

1 Like

They lift the seat.

1 Like

I just wanted to say Thank You to the OP for the review and screen shots.

Redeye

1 Like

I believe it mean “exhaust gas temperature” for EGT or am I confused?

As I understand it, that is correct. Exhaust, not Engine.

Fixed the nomenclature, updated some sections based on comments. Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

I did get this aircraft and it seems to do pretty well. I got a good view in the front, but it is hard to look out the windows and the front at the same position. I have the slider on the Thrustmaster throttle so I used that to look down and see out the window. I have not been in a 182, but have been in a 172 and 152. maybe one day I will see if I can get a ride in one some day.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.