Cessna 414 Climate Control

Anyone know why Flysimware removed the climate control feature in their latest update?. It was a pretty neat feature.

“Note: The climate control system was removed from the tablet and may be added in a future update”

The 414 was in Beta, and it was removed as it moves out of Beta, you’d have to ask them directly but speculation would lead to believe there were issues and or conflicts so they are cutting it out to get out of Beta and will review in the future.

Direct quote

The climate control system was removed from the tablet and may be added in a future update as we are now leaving beta.

Was it just the red-green-yellow temperature area on EFB that had been removed, or are the air condition knobs and heater fan switches now inop?

Sorry I haven´t flown her for some days because of the CPL Airbus type rating that´s why I have not noticed yet.

Hm air condition is a very important feature, very immersive and it´s important to have that virtual cockpit cozy and heated while it´s minus 3 degree °C out there and icy snow rain is slowly rolling down the windows.

2 Likes

Is there any good Guide to what does what? There are the Pull/Push Buttons marked “Cabin Air”, but it doesn’t say when they are open or shut, is it push to open or pull to open?
There is a Switch “Cabin Heat” and “Cabin Fan” but also a an AC Fan, and the Turn-Buttons for the AC which sais “Cooler” in both Directions.
Then there are the Turn Buttons below the Cabin Air Push/Pull Buttons which I guess are Mixers for Hot Air and Ambient?
Is there any Explanation or Drawing of the whole System and which Buttons do exactly what and where?

1 Like

No one ever truly understood the air heating system of the Cessna 414.

Ten different knobs for cabin air pull and push and suck squeeze boost and blow, at least four dozen turn knobs that say “cool” but begin to heat when turned 360° over, an old steampunk clock that says “gallons Fahrenheitx10 in 5000ft Ram air cabin aft”, and ten more levers only labelled with “AIR” with 20 turn knobs below labelled not at all.

There is no chance finding out how the cabin heater works in a C414, scientists all over the world sit in real Cessnas 414 turning and pulling all these knobs and levers and write down what this actually does with the hot or cool air nozzles … :smiley:

Maybe some day we will get a YouTube tutorial video about the Cessna 414 air conditioning system. This will be our last hope!

3 Likes

This video may answer some of your questions.

6 Likes

The heat system isn’t too difficult. It will make sense once you watch my video which is posted below…or above depending on where this comment ends up in the thread. Heating can be accomplished with the gas heater, or from the hot air coming into the cabin from the compressor side of the turbochargers, or both. Pressurization air can be cooled by opening and closing a valve on the wing root which is accomplished with the 2 control knobs to the right of the single gas heater control knob in front of the co-pilot’s seat. And while you were wishing for a tutorial some day, I was diligently working on this video.

3 Likes

Wow that video is absolute AWESOME! And not in my wildest dreams I could imagine having the de-ice boots animated on an aircraft, that Cessna 414 is absolute OUTSTANDING and the best GA aircraft ever made.
It´s literally the Fenix among GA-aircraft… :smiley:

1 Like

Agreed, that video is awesome!!

I do think the climate control system needs a bit more work. I’m trying to make some controls and a cabin temperature indicator with Air Manager for our Simstrumentation 414AW suite.

Here’s my take:

Some of the controls in the virtual cockpit don’t seem to do anything (like the pull slides above the LH and RH Warm knobs). Nor does the A/C circulate fan, or the cabin fan on the left switches panel (when the cabin heater is off). And the LH/RH dump pull slides near the pressurization controls seem to act more like heat exchanger dump as opposed to pressure dump.

And what appears to be the LVAR for target temperature (I.e. the temperature you will eventually end up with) undergoes huge, fast variations. The cabin temperature display on the EFB tablet shows some of these variations but it is “heavily damped”, or in other words has a very slowly changing value. My goal is to display a similar value on an external touchscreen so the virtual cockpit instruments can be hidden. I’ve tried to implement my own “damping “ of the target value change for my cabin temperature display. It’s just that the target value changes too wildly.

For instance, the target temperature goes from say, 70F while taxiing to 100+F when powering up for takeoff, which seems plausible. But I don’t believe the 10F value that it immediately changes to at about 200AGL. Even in south Florida, in the summer. I don’t think physics works that way! In other words, I don’t trust the EFB temperature value, nor do I trust the target temperature LVAR. I think it’s called L:CLIMATE_TOTAL_VALUE, which appears to be cabin temperature target times ten. So 70F would be an LVAR value of 700. I tested it with various ambient temperatures and it correlates almost exactly.

Anyone have experience with what the control procedures should be in terms of climate temperature control from cold and dark all the way through a flight, to shutdown at the destination? Obviously, it matters what the ambient temperature is and what altitudes are involved but maybe someone could give a basic rundown.

For instance, if it’s going to be a pressurized flight, do you close the dump valves before takeoff? And when/what controls do you dump at arrival? And what typical percentage of knob turn/pull slide travel would you use at each stage of the flight?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

P.s. You know you’re into it pretty deep when you start worrying about what the virtual cabin temperature is. :joy:

1 Like

Think I’m going to go sit in my 414 over winter and enjoy my virtual heating instead of using the expensive gas at home :+1:

Apart from keeping the windshield defrosted climate control and opening doors aswell seem like a complete waste of Devs time. Next we’ll be worrying about stocking the mini bar in the back :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, it would be great if the passengers started complaining about being too hot or too cold. :sweat_smile:

Achieving perfection is never a waste of time.
A good plane separates from a bad plane by having ALL switches and knobs functional :slight_smile: (that means also the heaters and the cooling fan and the cabin lights etc. are all functional)

3 Likes

amen. I’ve been trying to control it, but it’s a full time job. Basically, the only way I seem to keep it in line at all is by toggling the gas heater fan on and off. Nothing else seems to make any difference.

Is there actually a cabin thermometer anywhere inside this aircraft, not including the carry on pad?

Awwww still the most difficult task to master in the whole flight sim world, even the whole Hotstart Challenger turns out rather simple and easy to handle compared to the air conditioning knobs of this Cessna.
The ideal temperature, that sounds so easy in every car, is an almost impossible task in this Cessna.
As soon as these sliders and knobs are only slightly touched and turned for one millimeter after one or two minutes the cabin is either getting burning hot or freezing cold :smiley:

No one ever has mastered 23°C in a C414… at least not longer than three to five seconds.

I have found out a trick how to master this brutal and merciless air conditioning simulation challenge that was build into this Cessna:
Turn the three knobs (left: Burner, middle hot air left and right hot air right) to a vertical postion. Pull out all three or the first two of these leverages above the three knobs.
Now control the temperature with little movements of the “cooler” labeled turn knob hidden under the left yoke. This does the trick very well.

No there is no second thermometer inside the cockpit, only the comfort-o-meter in the FlyPad.

2 Likes