Cessna 414 losing power and electrics

I recently purchased the Cessna 414 and I’ve had issues with most of the flights.

While climbing, the left engine will start to lose RPM followed by right engine. Alternator showing zero volts yet everything seems to be set correctly. I cannot adjust the mixture manually and it’s not set to auto mixture in the settings.

Once I land, I have to do a complete shutdown and restart and even then I can only reach about 3,000 feet, MP and RPM at full chat full but it won’t go over 100kts?

I had 60% fuel and two pax with bags so it’s not heavy.

I’ve no idea what’s wrong but it’s very frustrating!

Hi,
Looks like the engines are on full power according to the pictures. Did you reduce power to 35 inches MP (Manifold Pressure) and prop RPM to 25(00) immediately after take off for the climb? If not, you will blow the engines. Takeoff power is limited for 5 minutes maximum.

I did, I pushed full power during the issue to see if I got a response but it didn’t help.

I’m reloading in soon to try again.

As for the mixture, you can leave them at full forward position because of the turbocharged engines of the 414.

I use full power for takeoff (throttles, prop levers and mixture levers fully forward), then after the gear is retracted, I reduce to 35 inches MP and 2500 RPM for the climb. For cruise I set 32 inches MP and 2300 RPM. On approach I increase the RPM back to 2500 and use power as needed to maintain my desired speeds.

2 Likes

Because you are killing the engines by running at max throttle. Keep the manifold pressure in the green arc after takeoff.