CH Rudder

My CH Pro Pedals work, somewhat, with FS 2020, but the simulated aircraft’s rudder does not return to neutral when the CH Pro Pedals return to the neutral via their spring-loading. To move the sim’s rudder somewhere towards neutral I have to kick some opposite rudder. That does return the sim’s rudder to somewhere towards the neutral position, but the rudder might make it back to neutral or it may overshoot and deflect some in the opposite direction.

The funny thing is that initially the simulation worked with the CH Pro Pedals as expected. That is, kicking the rudder and returning the pedals to neutral via the pedal’s spring loading briefly deflected the sim’s rudder and then returned the sim’s rudder to its neutral.

So did something in FS 2020 change and, if so, how do I get the simulation and pedals to work again as expected. Needless to say, my current situation makes for some wild takeoffs and frequent crashes.

I have adjusted the sim’s sensitivity settings to the point that the rudder behaves per my experiences with flying actual small civilian aviation aircraft.

Does anyone else have this experience and/or know how to get the expected behavior of the simulation with the pedals back?

Since the pedals are around ten-plus years old, maybe they are wearing out and it is time to replace them.

I’ve not noticed any tendency for my - more ancient that yours! - CH rudders to NOT return to center. It seems that I necessarily revisit its settings after each FS2020 code update with the most recent change being a return to brakes with the axis, from just being “left brake”, “right brake” (needed to circumvent a locked parking brake effect, now gone).

I’ve been running with zero sensitivity for some time now - no curve at all (rudders and yoke) and all seems reasonably responsive. You might try maybe a 10% null zone in case your rudder tends to input a -something, +something value when centered.

Also using the FS default driver - not the ancient CH version.

Like you, I’d also considered replacing them with something much newer, but - other than being nearly useless for the C172 (other than taxiing, and x-wind landing) as compared to the real plane, they work well enough to keep for now.

Thank you for your response! I am using the FS default driver and about 5% sensitivity.

Since the sim’s rudder stopped returning to neutral with the pedals using the rudder is a real risky proposition when taking off and landing.

I have tried just using rudder trim but it does not seem to have enough bite to be useful when taking off or landing.

I can’t thank everyone in this topic enough, was having a hell of a time getting the axis and sensitivities sorted on my 15+ year old CH Pro Fighterstick/Throttle/Rudder setup. Rudders hanging right, toe brakes not working right, unable to calibrate properly blah blah. Was starting to think maybe they’d seen better days … :wink: Installed the CH manager, set in Direct mode, rebooted and all fixed! Smooth as silk in MSFS. Had to remap all my buttons but that’s a small price to pay! :wink:

1 Like