Check out the AMD Ryzen High Performance Power Plan

Not likely nowadays, for one there is no longer a northbridge to worry about as these are incorporated into the CPU and with UEFI for want of a better description even the backups are backed up with the OS’s sub system. I’ve never had a single issue with UEFI whereas non booting PC’s used to be the bain of my life.

1 Like

Good to know. Thanks!

ETA: I ran the AMD chipset installer, which installed the 02/28 update.
Interestingly, I don’t see the Ryzen Power Plan. I do have the Ultimate Power Plan.

1 Like

After you install the chipset drivers, go into Control Panel->Power Options and then click on “Show Additional Plans”. You should see the AMD Ryzen High Performance power plan.

By the way, what Ryzen CPU do you have?

I don’t see it either, I have updated to the latest chipset drivers and it doesn’t appear in the additional plans. I have a 5800X3D.

It could be tied to the processor drivers, on the AMD site they are separate downoads. However because of existing heat concerns these plans might not even exist for your cpu.

I don’t believe so. I think it may be tied to your bios - do you have the most recent bios for your motherboard?

yes, I have installed.

Then it’s either:

• your motherboard does not fully support the full feature set of the 5800x3D
  • that power plan is not appropriate/implemented for the 5800x3D because it’s different with the 3D cache.

You might want to ask in this forum and/or search the web to see if anyone else with your CPU has that power plan.

What motherboard are you using? I can check into the motherboard compatibility.

X570 Aorus Elite

1 Like

Ok - that’s a really nice motherboard :+1: and the 5800x3D is fully supported.

I now believe the AMD Ryzen High Performance power plan is for Ryzen 9 CPU’s and the 5800x3D is a Ryzen 7 CPU. I’ll need to verify that still with another source.

1 Like

5800X here, Ryzen7 and so was my 3800X. I originally had the AMD powerplans but they disappeard when I upgraded my cpu only to reappear when I updated the chipset.
My bios were already the latest and the same for both although the 5800X did unlock some previously hidden PBO options.

This seems to be a really good article on all of the AMD power plans and what to do if you don’t see them.

Note: for the ultimate power plan, it lists as a con “Gaming gets the least from this type of power optimization”.

High, Balanced, Ultimate: Which Ryzen Power Plan Is ‘Best’? - Tech Overwrite

1 Like

Yup … it took me all of five minutes to find out ultimate was inferior to AMD high power

Hi @DensestSnail693 - do you have the AMD Ryzen High Performance power plan by any chance with your 5800x?

Yes but I use AMD balanced it’s as good or almost as good without the constant blowers. I never have cooling problems anyway.

Just to confirm - you see both the high performance power plans highlighted in the pic?

I see exactly the same

1 Like

Hey @VivaceDegree988 - @DensestSnail693 has some great feedback above regarding the power plans he sees with his 5800x. There still is a small chance that the 5800x3D does not support the AMD Ryzen High Performance power plan since it has the 3D vcache as that plan produces a lot of heat and that might not work with the 5800x3D cpu.

Perhaps the article I linked to above can provide additional insight on ensuring you see all of the power plans or some one else with the 5800x3D can show what power plans they see on their system.

That is very likely and it doesn’t/didn’t have PBO support although a few latest motherboard’s bios now include it for undervolting purposes only i.e. no increased voltages but undervolting can still boost performance within the temperature spectrum.

1 Like

with the high temperatures on the 5800X3D rising to 70ºC and plus, it is recomended to leave the power plan to balanced? or we can go higher?