Checking for updates? No, we're way past that

The “checking for updates” issues can occur for a wide variety of reasons. Let me offer some suggestions to see if this will help any of you. This is not an exhaustive list, but it is the things that I see most often causing these particular problems. I want to preface this by stating that yes this could be caused by something server sided, but I did want to offer suggestions in case it is not. This can sometimes just be a temporary issue. Before trying any of the steps below, I would advise waiting, rebooting your PC, and trying again later. If the problems persists, then continue with the steps below.

REPAIR GAMING SERVICES (this also can cause the “insert disc” error)

There was an Gaming Services update released in April, and ever since then we have seen an increase in problems due to the app. The dev team has no control over this app, but it is used by MSFS for verifying digital ownership, communicating to the MSFS servers, and connecting in to XBox Live Services.

MS Store / XBox app users:

1. Reset the Microsoft Store app
  • On your keyboard, press the “Win Logo” + “R” keys
  • Type WSReset.exe and press “Enter.
  • A black window will pop up
  • Wait until the pop-up disappears and the Store comes up
  • Reboot your computer

2. Repair Gaming Services

You can use this tool from the Xbox app or try the downloadable version. For more information on how to run this tool, visit:

MODS
Mods can and often do cause MSFS to hang during this stage. Do not skip this step if you are having problems on PC.

XBox users - this is usually caused by a profile issue.

1. Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
  2. Select Profile & system, and then select Add or switch.
  3. Select a profile other than the one you were previously using.
  4. Now restart the game to see if it works correctly under a different profile.

If you can play the sim with a different profile, delete the cloud save. To do so, follow this guide:

If you cannot play the sim with a different profile, clear the reserved space then do a clean installation via the content manager.

1. Press the Xbox button on your controller to open the guide.
  2. Highlight Microsoft Flight Simulator, press the Menu button on your controller, and select Quit.
  3. Once you fully quit the game, press the Xbox button to open the guide and then select My games & apps > See all > Games.
  4. Highlight Microsoft Flight Simulator, and then press the Menu button on your controller.
  5. Select Manage game and add-ons > Saved data.
  6. Highlight Reserved space
  7. Press A then select Clear Reserved Space
  8. Launch Microsoft Flight Simulator
  9. Redownload the content via the Content Manager
1 Like