Checking for updates? No, we're way past that

NONE of this “checking for updates” makes sense

Just got stuck again so the most recent files to delete from One Store folder were from 31/05

Once I had done that I got a “standard mandatory update” message at start of 300mb and it’s starting again

Again, not officially recommending to delete files and I don’t know how it works on steam, just passing along what works for me for any others who may be at the point of pulling their hair out

Sat watching the checking for updates screen again after four restarts Xbox series x. Same things that you described. I see several suggestions on getting past this screen for PC but nothing for x box.
It’s Friday again so we may be waiting for a while. I see it’s been escalated so I await the outcome. Confidence is waining.

5 Likes

I’m running into this right now on my XsX. I’ve restarted the console and the game multiple times, and it is just stuck in Checking for Updates.

3 Likes

There´s no problem to do that. What happens is the following:

• If core game files were deleted → upon launch game will ask you to download them again
  • If official files were deleted → user can manually download them again from Marketplace (they will be listed under the “not installed” section)
  • Steam and MS Store work in the same way. What both install is just the game launcher (the executable pack). Once launched game behaves the same (connects to game servers) so both will get official patches and Marketplace addons from servers.

IMPORTANT: in case you manually delete anything just delete the whole addon folder, not contents inside it. Game patching system and Marketplace are unable to detect missing content inside addon folders (single files or subfolders), just missing addon folders themselves. They can only patch contents partially (so inside folders) when a version change is published officially.

Cheers

1 Like

Just for today (I’m on PC):
First it asked me to insert game disc which I don’t have. Next try all my settings are set back to default and now it’s stuck on checking for updates. The last week it’s becoming more and more difficult to play this game with all the (server) issues. I’ve spend too much money on this game to say I’ll delete it all because of all the problems it gives. This is not for only the last week.

2 Likes

The “checking for updates” issues can occur for a wide variety of reasons. Let me offer some suggestions to see if this will help any of you. This is not an exhaustive list, but it is the things that I see most often causing these particular problems. I want to preface this by stating that yes this could be caused by something server sided, but I did want to offer suggestions in case it is not. This can sometimes just be a temporary issue. Before trying any of the steps below, I would advise waiting, rebooting your PC, and trying again later. If the problems persists, then continue with the steps below.

REPAIR GAMING SERVICES (this also can cause the “insert disc” error)

There was an Gaming Services update released in April, and ever since then we have seen an increase in problems due to the app. The dev team has no control over this app, but it is used by MSFS for verifying digital ownership, communicating to the MSFS servers, and connecting in to XBox Live Services.

MS Store / XBox app users:

1. Reset the Microsoft Store app
  • On your keyboard, press the “Win Logo” + “R” keys
  • Type WSReset.exe and press “Enter.
  • A black window will pop up
  • Wait until the pop-up disappears and the Store comes up
  • Reboot your computer

2. Repair Gaming Services

You can use this tool from the Xbox app or try the downloadable version. For more information on how to run this tool, visit:

MODS
Mods can and often do cause MSFS to hang during this stage. Do not skip this step if you are having problems on PC.

XBox users - this is usually caused by a profile issue.

1. Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
  2. Select Profile & system, and then select Add or switch.
  3. Select a profile other than the one you were previously using.
  4. Now restart the game to see if it works correctly under a different profile.

If you can play the sim with a different profile, delete the cloud save. To do so, follow this guide:

If you cannot play the sim with a different profile, clear the reserved space then do a clean installation via the content manager.

1. Press the Xbox button on your controller to open the guide.
  2. Highlight Microsoft Flight Simulator, press the Menu button on your controller, and select Quit.
  3. Once you fully quit the game, press the Xbox button to open the guide and then select My games & apps > See all > Games.
  4. Highlight Microsoft Flight Simulator, and then press the Menu button on your controller.
  5. Select Manage game and add-ons > Saved data.
  6. Highlight Reserved space
  7. Press A then select Clear Reserved Space
  8. Launch Microsoft Flight Simulator
  9. Redownload the content via the Content Manager
1 Like

I have tried all the above suggested fixes, for PC, but still stuck at checking for updates.

1 Like

I’m on pc and for the first time stuck on looking for updates

Mine just went through

The best option is to open task manager and check if MSFS is downloading something (updates) in background:

That’s how I know it’s not stuck but it’s downloading some updates and I must just wait.

Just took about 20-30 minutes here to get through the “Checking for Updates” without me changing anything on the sim since wednesday. I guess that is somehow related to the outage from yesterday, that something between our clients and the servers got nuked and now needs to be rebuilt by downloading some huge data?

But the question is why isnt it setup to say hey im downloaidng something. Why does it jjst say checki g for uodayes. Further more. WHAT is it downloading? I have gigabit speeds and its peeked at about 600Mbps and ive been sitting here about 6 minites waiting. Again ANOTHER reason a flight sime should NOT be reliant on an internet connection.

Literally none of what you suggested has worked. The only thing that worked was letting ut sit and do whatever it was doing. Of course ive no clue of what it is but as i commented earlier more than no it was downloading or doing something that consumer 600+Mbps. Be nice to know exactly what that was.

Edit. Im NOT saying its downloading something but its definitely doing something. I use my old pc as a test bench for games i mod. I leave completely untouched vanilla games on it and it suffered the same “checking for updates” as my main pc. Dare i say it was on the server end abd not on our end.

3 Likes

The problem was gone for a couple of says but is back again. With me it only happens if I have opened a livery in the Community folder for a change.
I am not sure it is actually downloading anything. I think it is doing some sort of verifying or checking.

yes same here, it will eventually stop checking. But it can take a long time.

still get this,pc,close and new start fix it…
or fix it not,all the zendesk way do nothing wat work longer then a few start,sometimes the next do not get over the check.

it get Ridiculus :grimacing:

I had “The initialization of VR failed” error and not after restart I’m stuck in checking for updates like y’all.

Same here, stuck on “Checking for Updates”. MS Store PC version.
This started on the 10th June 2024.

I tried everything here

What works is to start the Xbox app,
logout then login.

Once, I got errors re-login, then it finally logged in.

Seeing the number of posts in the last few hours, suggests a problem with the servers, especially that there were servers / Online Services problems in the last few days.

3 Likes

It didn’t work for me, nor did the time synchronization thing. This is clearly a problem on Asobo’s part.

Take charge of solving there are many with this problem

1 Like

I’m on Xbox series X and I’ve started getting this problem today. Managed to get it started earlier today by deleting profile from console and restarting.

2 Likes